IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Interfaith Dialogue
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Would you agree?  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Would you agree?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 July 2006 at 5:24am

Annie, you are speaking with Angela, not Angel.

Angela, why didn't you notice

~ Our feet are earthbound, but our hearts and our minds have wings ~
DavidC View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male Christian
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 July 2006 at 9:24am
Maybe you guys should be AngelA and AngelB 
Christian; Wesleyan M.Div.
amlhabibi2000 View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amlhabibi2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 July 2006 at 12:27pm

Salam Alaikoam

I do not believe that the education, counseling and consultation I spoke of is by any means a barrier to Faith.  In fact I believe it is a bridge to Faith, especially Faith in ourselves, others and the world.

Faith is something that transcends religion and though religion plays a role it is not always something everyone wants to belong to especially seeing as there is so much division amongst them all.

I believe that we are all Muslims first or ie people who submit in degrees to the will of Allah, God, the Creator.  To me the foundations of Faith are being guided to be the best people we can be so we can provide for ourselves and our families with grace and dignity for all.  I believe a Faith filled Community is a Community that has excellent infra structures and networks so people can get their needs met as well as meet the needs of the Family, Community, Nation and World.

I believe part of this Faith building is being environmentally friendly and caring for the environment locally and abroad.  So recycling is a matter of Faith, Faith building for all being seen and unseen.

I believe that rather than point the finger at those who don't belong to a religion instead seek to empower them and education them about all religions so they can decide what they believe or do not believe and at the very least appreciate the diversity amongst all religions and their similarities.

It takes more than religion to build Faith it takes living prayers and a living a life as a pray answered.  ie being a good person and doing such things as volunteering with some agencies that helps people with issues such as poverty, hunger, senior care, the disabled as well as guiding people to services they need or at least encouraging them to go let's say to a counselor if they are experience spousal violence or abuse.

There is hope we are that hope.

Edited by amlhabibi2000
Judgement day passes in the moment we decide something needs attention & we take positive action. Then there will be a great sorting out of people into groups, Inspired by Surah 99 Ayat 1-8
DavidC View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male Christian
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 July 2006 at 4:44pm
Good works done without obedience to God is like bailing out a leaky boat.  It looks good, but does nothing to solve the real problem.

There is hope, and God is that hope.  Not us.
Christian; Wesleyan M.Div.
Patty View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Patty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 July 2006 at 5:49pm
Originally posted by amlhabibi2000 amlhabibi2000 wrote:

Salam Alaikoam

Peace be with you

Would you agree that Education, Counseling and Consultation are key tools in our Inter Faith (Jihad) struggle to be the best people we can be?

Do you agree that Education is an Inter Faith means for raising the Station of Mankind from a life just making ends meet to a life of plenty.

Do you are agree that Counseling and Guidance are important tools from which we can learn skills such as good communication skills, listening skills, attention skills, parenting and relationship skills as well as effective conflict resolution skills.

Do you agree that consultation is a sound frame work from which to rebuild important structure within the family, community and Nation? 

Do you agree that by consulting trained personel or proffessions about our challenges we might find ready resolution for our challenges that give us all grace and dignity? 

Do you agree in consulting our Families, Community and Nations we may find ways to provide needed infra structure and community support agencies such as Mental Health Out Patient Services, Parenting Centers, Addictions Services, Crime Prevention Services and Training Centers?

Just curious to see how many of you support my theory on the Inter Faith Jihad idea and how many of you believe as I do that we are in a time where Peace is possible in all levels of our lives we just need to join together and share the burdens.  Inshallah may we have a great sorting out into groups.

Anne Marie Elderkin Habibi

Dear Anne,

I emphatically agree with your post.  How can we expect to have peace, to raise people out of poverty, to decrease the crime rate, addiction rates, child and domestic abuse rate....IF we do not educate and guide those people who so desperately need professional help. 

So many people from all races, religions, cultures, and genders are desperately in need of help in many areas of their lives.  This does not mean they are NOT to pray and to seek God.  Indeed, they are to be encouraged to seek their God and to come to Him for comfort and guidance.

But I believe that God/Allah gave us colleges and universities to train professionals....who in turn have the skills necessary to help those advance in their own lives.  They, the professionals, are able to help those without the necessary skills for a successful life, train and through education lead them to their God-given talents which had been unknown, or lying dormant previously.  With a good education in any number of trades or professions, formerly uneducated people are able to provide adequately for themselves and their families.

It is a fact of life, that many millions of poor souls out there are in desperate need of counselling.  Many DO require medications to help them function normally throughout the day.  Take a schizophrenic off Haldol or Thorazine and see what happens.  Or take a bi-polar off Lithium and they often commit suicide.  Clinically depressed persons suffer from a chemical imbalance in their brains, they do not produce the necessary levels of Seratonin and are therefore very depressed....a terribly disabling illness.  Of course they benefit from counseling.  As do those with tendencies towards violence.

It is a very sad, but well known fact, that many mothers (and fathers) do not automatically possess good parenting skills.  They benefit greatly from this service, as of course, do their children and babies.

I believe all of our clergy, no matter what the religion, must be available to ALL those who are seeking help with their faith, who have questions concerning their religion. 

I am in total agreement with your ideas, and thank you for a wonderful post, Anne.

Edited by Patty
Patty

I don't know what the future holds....but I know who holds the future.
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amlhabibi2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 July 2006 at 6:53pm

Alaikoam Salam Patty

Glad to know someone understands what I am trying to encourage here.

Though not all people who need counseling require medication.  Sometimes counseling can be simply how to deal with relationship problems, anger management, stresss, budgeting, parenting .  Recieing counseling does not mean everyone has a Mental illness by any means though there are many it is true who have Mental illness and many who are untreated due to fear of being oppressed because of it.

I have seen first hand the benifits of education helping people provide for themselves and thour families, I have a journeyman in Cooking and worked in that feild for twenty some years and now I am trying another feild because I gained too much weight while working as a Cook.

I have also experienced the benifits of counseling to deal with abuse issues from my past, as well as stress.

I have also benifited from consulting community infra strucutre and networks and have had the pleasure of being part of the network myself helping others create resumes, design portfolios, job hunt and assisted them and myself with getting funding for small projects or self employment funding.

Maybe people find me too positive about the world however thinking it is only a place of sorrow is depressing and I choose to see and build on the positive rather than the negative and I believe building on the positive in myself and others makes more positive things happen in the world, my family, community and Nation.

Thank you

Salam

Anne Marie Elderkin Habibi

Judgement day passes in the moment we decide something needs attention & we take positive action. Then there will be a great sorting out of people into groups, Inspired by Surah 99 Ayat 1-8
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amlhabibi2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 July 2006 at 6:57pm

Good works done without obedience to God is like bailing out a leaky boat.  It looks good, but does nothing to solve the real problem.

There is hope, and God is that hope.  Not us.

I guess it all depens on how you look at the situation, not all people believe there is a God and who is to say they are any less of a person.  In the end we find out the truth don't we?

Judge and be not judged.

Yes there is hope and we are that hope and yes we are very much a part of Allah, God the creator we are extentions of Him.

Patty View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Patty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 July 2006 at 7:20pm

Dear Anne,

You are right...there are many types of counselling which benefit those who have no need of medications.  They need to have an unbiased individual who has outstanding insight into their problems, so they are able to "talk it all out".  And in return, they can benefit from some excellent advice.  Many people do just need someone they can discuss their troubles with.

I majored in Psychology and worked with autistic and retarded children.  For 18 years I worked with schizophrenics in a VA medical center.  Also, for many years I volunteered in a 24/7 Crisis Center, so I do realize how very important it is for people who are really "down on their luck" or sad and depressed over a failed relationship, etc., need someone with a sense of compassion and a sympathetic ear to talk with.

It is for the more seriously mentally ill that I was indicating the need for medication....usually for the remainder of their life.  But I truly dislike the stigma which is still attached in many instances to mental illness.  The brain is just another part of the body, and at times it doesn't function properly and becomes "ill"; hence, the term mental illness.  I wish people would learn more about these illnesses.  Certainly no one wishes, or chooses to have this devastating illness.

Well, you have had an interesting life!  You must have been a WONDERFUL cook, if you left because of gaining weight.  I would have loved to tasted some of your cooking!

I am happy to learn your life is full and you are helping so many people turn their lives around for the better.  You have said so elequently everything I also believe.

God's peace to you....

Patty

I don't know what the future holds....but I know who holds the future.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic