IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - ’Nazi’ row over Indian textbooks  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

�Nazi� row over Indian textbooks

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ak_m_f Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: �Nazi� row over Indian textbooks
    Posted: 03 July 2006 at 11:13am
'Nazi' row over Indian textbooks

Critics say schoolchildren are being taught historical inaccuracies

Human rights campaigners in India's Gujarat state have condemned school textbooks which they say praise Hitler.

The books are issued by the Hindu nationalist state government. One includes a chapter on the "internal achievements of Nazism".

A Jesuit priest and social activist, Cedric Prakash, says the books contain more than 300 factual errors and make little mention of the holocaust.

The Gujarat government has dismissed the charges as baseless.

A senior official from the state education department told the BBC that anomalies arose when the book was translated from Gujarati into English, and are being quoted out of context.

Gujarat is led by Chief Minister Hindu nationalist Narendra Modi

Troubled state

The books, used to teach students aged 13 to 15, were introduced last year and have been reissued for the current school year.

Father Prakash told AFP news agency: "We first researched the textbooks in 2004 and pointed out some glaringly distorted historical facts to the state education board.

"Despite protests from parents, peace activists and educationists, the updated school books still contain the same objectionable text this academic year."

He said it was time to take the matter to court.

In the chapter entitled "Internal achievements of Nazism," one textbook quoted by AFP states: "Hitler lent dignity and prestige to the German government within a short time, establishing a strong administrative set-up."

Communal feelings run high in Gujarat - the birth place of Mahatma Gandhi.

Religious riots in 2002 officially killed more than 1,000 people, most of them Muslims. Human rights groups place the figure much higher.
source : BBC
i wonder what false information about Muslims is been taught to Indian children in their schools

Edited by ak_m_f
s666 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote s666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2006 at 8:49pm
what do you have to say about this?

Pak text books preaching Jehad against India: Report

Islamabad, Mar. 29 (ANI): The Sustainable Development Policy Institute (SDPI) has urged the government to correct inaccuracies about religion and history in school textbooks, saying these provoke hatred of India, encourage militancy and violence through jihad, and are unfair on Pakistan's minorities.

According to the Daily Times, in the report titled 'The subtle subversion - the state of curricula and textbooks in Pakistan' compiled by AH Nayyar and Ahmed Salim, there is an urgent need to revise class I to XII textbooks and curricula.

The report notes that though Islamiyat is not compulsory for non-Muslim students, they are taught it through other subjects. Many non-Muslim students end up taking Islamiyat anyway because they have the incentive of 25 percent extra marks.

"One may get an impression from these textbooks that Pakistan is for Muslims alone because Islamiyat is taught to all students whatever their faith, including a compulsory reading of the Holy Quran," says the report.

It also says that the indoctrination of Pakistan's 'ideology' creates hatred against Hindus and India and that students are urged to take part in jihad and die as martyrs.

The curricula for all the compulsory subjects require every Pakistani, irrespective of his or her faith, to love, respect, be proud of and practice Islamic principles, traditions, customs and rituals, says the report.

"Thus all non-Muslim students in the mainstream education system are taught Islamic studies compulsorily," says the report.

Themes of Jihad and martyrdom clearly distinguished the pre and post-1979 educational curricula. There was no mention of these in the pre-Islamisation period, and the post-1979 curricula and textbooks eulogised jihad and martyrdom and urged students to become militants and martyrs.

The report says Pakistan's civilian and military government promoted militarism in society, which is now reflected in its textbooks.

"For 30 years in its 55-year history, Pakistan has had governments that were run by the military or put into office and sustained by the military. It is not a matter of surprise that the government-textbook connection has developed into a military-textbook bond" says the report. (ANI)

http://in.news.yahoo.com/040329/139/2c9uj.html
s666 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote s666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2006 at 8:53pm
US concern at Pakistan textbooks
By Aamer Ahmed Khan
BBC News, Karachi

Children in a Social Studies classroom Arif AliI/AFP/Getty Images
Social studies was replaced with history and geography this year
The United States has described some of the material contained in Pakistani textbooks as "inciteful" and said it was an issue of "serious concern".

The US said it feared the material might "cause people to... lash out with violent actions".

Despite two government reviews of the textbooks, a leading Pakistan NGO says little has changed.

Pakistan's school curriculum has been in the spotlight since the 11 September attacks in the US.

Pakistan and the US are key allies in the latter's war on terror.

US State Department spokesman, Sean McCormack, was commenting on media reports that jihad, or holy war, was still a part of school curriculum in Pakistan.

"We have engaged the Pakistani government on... the issue of textbooks and language that... was clearly, clearly unacceptable and inciteful or would cause people to perhaps lash out with violent actions," he told a press briefing on Thursday.

He said the US had raised the matter with the Pakistani education minister during his visit to Washington in March.

Independent review

The administration of President Pervez Musharraf asked the education ministry in March 2002 to undertake a comprehensive review of all textbooks.

Picture in a grade 7 history textbook showing a weapon used by Muslim warriors
Textbooks have been accused of glorifying war

But the review recommended that no major changes were required in the existing curriculum.

This prompted one of Pakistan's most respected non-government organisations, the Sustainable Development Policy Institute (SDPI), to undertake an independent review.

It examined textbooks for Urdu, English, Social Studies and Civics from grades one to 12 (5-18 years) and came out with its report a few months after the ministry's review. The findings created a furore.

It found "falsehoods, distortions and omissions" in all the textbooks, which it said defied Pakistan's declared objective of turning into a modern, dynamic state.

I don't think anything has changed in substance
Ahmed Salim, Sustainable Development Policy Institute

It also found the books "full" of material "encouraging or justifying discrimination against women, religious and ethnic minorities and other nations".

The report said that most of the textbooks incited "militancy and violence, including encouragement of holy war and martyrdom".

There were repeated instances of "glorification of war and the use of force".

The religious parties in particular were incensed at the report and labelled it "paid Western propaganda".

Curriculum change

The report was taken seriously by the government which ordered another review.

Picture from a grade 7 history textbook
Religious parties called the SDPI report 'Western propaganda'

The second review, completed in mid-2004, recommended that references to holy war and the use of force be deleted.

The ministry also recommended that the social studies subject be scrapped.

The recommendations were implemented for the school year starting 2005.

"I don't think anything has changed in substance," co-editor of the SDPI report Ahmed Salim told the BBC news website.

The SDPI is planning to undertake another review which it expects to complete in a month's time.

Source: BBC
ak_m_f View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ak_m_f Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 July 2006 at 4:12am
Originally posted by s666 s666 wrote:

Maybe If India stops killing civlians in Kashmir then I guess this will stop too.

The ones who attack army & military targets are fighting for their freedom.

Edited by ak_m_f
s666 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote s666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 July 2006 at 6:45am
Originally posted by ak_m_f ak_m_f wrote:

Maybe If India stops killing civlians in Kashmir then I guess this will stop too.

The ones who attack army & military targets are fighting for their freedom.

oh, so pakistanis do not have a mind of their own. interesting!

we agree that kashmir was a blunder, but what did all those minorities in pakistan do?  aren't the christians, parsis etc. innocent?  why do you want to kill all of them by using so called 'anti-blasphemy laws'.

and when would you stop killing shias and ahmadiyyas and the mohajirs from india?
fatima View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatima Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 July 2006 at 7:06am

Bismillah irrahman irrahim

Assalamu alaikum

Hope this piece of information helps. Every body in UK has to take religious education in the first three year of secondary school. We are taught about almost all major religions and it is thought to be a good thing to understand others to minimize the misconceptions. Whats the fuss about anyway?

wassalam

Say: (O Muhammad) If you love Allah, then follow me, Allah will love you and forgive you your faults, and Allah is Forgiving, MercifuL
s666 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote s666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 July 2006 at 9:58am
Originally posted by fatima fatima wrote:

We are taught about almost all major religions and it is thought to be a good thing to understand others to minimize the misconceptions. Whats the fuss about anyway?

sister fatima, i find this guy to be interesting.  just look at his posts and you will find most of them have no relevance to this forum and are posted just to show a country in bad light.  and whenever i ask him about the situation of minorities and shi'its, ahmadiyyas etc in muslim countries he remains silent and posts another irrelevant post.  and most interesting of all is that he openly attacked me calling me satan yet no moderator ever warned him.

ak_m_f View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ak_m_f Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 July 2006 at 11:13am

Originally posted by fatima fatima wrote:

We are taught about almost all major religions and it is thought to be
a good thing to understand others to minimize the misconceptions. Whats
the fuss about anyway?
sister fatima, i find this guy to be interesting.� just look at his posts and you will find most of them have no relevance to this forum and are posted just to show a country in bad light.� and whenever i ask him about the situation of minorities and shi'its, ahmadiyyas etc in muslim countries he remains silent and posts another irrelevant post.� and most interesting of all is that he openly attacked me calling me satan yet no moderator ever warned him.

I ask what does s666 means ? Satan 666?.

Well I am just posting from BBC & yahoo, why dont you mail them if you have any question? wernt you the one who laughed at gujarat's genocide video?

Edited by ak_m_f
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic