IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Islam for non-Muslims
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - music  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

music

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatima Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 August 2006 at 6:40am

Bismillah irrahman irrahim

Assalamu alaikum

Sorry for not replying Jockey, somehow missed your post. Anyway yes you are right that laws and rules of sharia' should be explained through Quran, sunnah or saying or experiences of sahbah (ra). But some times a person who is asking does not believe in them and specially in todays time, every1 wants scientific proofs. Same way so many people when ask about authenticity of Holy Quran, you give them scientific proofs. This is becasue there is a hadith which states that you should answer or reply on the level of questioner. Same time we ourselves are not accepting those laws because they are proved by science because afterall scince is mere understanding of Human beings. So that was the reason behind me saying that.

wassalam

Say: (O Muhammad) If you love Allah, then follow me, Allah will love you and forgive you your faults, and Allah is Forgiving, MercifuL
Necro View Drop Down
Starter
Starter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Necro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2006 at 11:12pm

Hang on a sec...Muslims aren't allowed to listen to music with bad lyrics...so what defines "bad" and "good" -- don't these words take on a different meaning through the centuries?

If I switch on a radio..does that mean before listening to a song I must search for the lyrics?

winjoy View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote winjoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 August 2006 at 9:17pm
Originally posted by fatima fatima wrote:

There are two reasons for prohibition of some forms of music. First the instrument, now science has proved that some time it takes you a level above concious level where you forget about your sorroundings. Another reason are the lyrics, im sure i dont need to say any thing about them

I play violin, once i become a muslim, do i need to give up playing it ??

Andalus View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andalus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 August 2006 at 7:13pm

Originally posted by winjoy winjoy wrote:

Can a Muslim listen to pop music ? if no, what kind of music they 're supposed to listen ?

Greetings.

Music is an extremely contraversial subject. The best thing for you to do is look at both sides of the argument. Both sides offer a strong case. Personally, I will not go out on a limb abd universally qualify the act of listening to music as "haram".

Also, if you are going to listen to music, use common sense. As an example, gang bangging rap trash would, for obvious reasons, not be appropriate.

A feeling of discouragement when you slip up is a sure sign that you put your faith in deeds. -Ibn 'Ata'llah
http://www.sunnipath.com
http://www.sunniforum.com/forum/
http://www.pt-go.com/
Andalus View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andalus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 August 2006 at 7:18pm
Originally posted by winjoy winjoy wrote:

Originally posted by fatima fatima wrote:

There are two reasons for prohibition of some forms of music. First the instrument, now science has proved that some time it takes you a level above concious level where you forget about your sorroundings. Another reason are the lyrics, im sure i dont need to say any thing about them

I play violin, once i become a muslim, do i need to give up playing it ??

The music issue would be a small detail that would be something you should address after years of study and finding your place in Islam.

There is nothing that prevents you from being a Muslim and playing the violin, as the music issue is steeped in contraversy. The foundations of Islam begin with a few basic tenents, and it is after long years of practicing, studying, and growing that these other issues should be addressed. First focus on the basics, and then if you still have room to grow in the deen, then study the other details.

A feeling of discouragement when you slip up is a sure sign that you put your faith in deeds. -Ibn 'Ata'llah
DigitalStorm82 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DigitalStorm82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2006 at 4:05am
Bro, if you want to be with your Lord who created you... would give up the world to be close to him? Then... what value does a mere violin hold?

Once you come in the fold of Islam... Your life will change... you won't like to play it from heart... 

Of course, there is you cant go "cold turkey" and stop playing violin if your in habbit of playing it. 

As the brother mentioned above about music instruments and controversy...  I have the opposite opinion... I believe you should know the truth before you accept Islam.  I believe Islam is a great religion and there is nothing that we should add or take away from to make it imperfect.  I don't have to "sugar coat" islam.

So having said that... Islam only allows a "duff" its type of a drum if you want to call it that...  no other instrument is allowed in Islam.  

Also, once you stop playing it... you'll notice how much free time you have and how many things you can accomplish with that time...

There are so many people suffering through the globe... if we all spent a little time in effort to help these people, we'd be in a better world today.

So, when you do become a muslim, you'll see how we should live our lives personally as well as in our society.

Music and such worldy matters will hold no value anymore...

The question you should be asking is... what is keeping you from becoming a muslim...

My advice to you is... don't base your decisions on what you can and cannot do as a muslim... but is islam the truth.  If you believe it is the truth.. then you should not waste a single day and embrace your Lord as soon as you can because life is too short.

May Allah guide you in your decisions. Ameen.

I wish you peace,
Hamid
Ma'Salama,
Hamid
Andalus View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andalus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 August 2006 at 9:26pm

Originally posted by DigitalStorm82 DigitalStorm82 wrote:

Bro, if you want to be with your Lord who created you... would give up the world to be close to him? Then... what value does a mere violin hold?

This is not a relevant question, since what is being discussed is not what we are willing to give up, but what should we give up, and what is clearly haram, and what is clearly halal.

Once you come in the fold of Islam... Your life will change... you won't like to play it from heart... 

This is anecdotal, and you have no way of knowing what someone will, or will not feel. You are making promises that you have no way of knowing will come through.

Of course, there is you cant go "cold turkey" and stop playing violin if your in habbit of playing it. 

As the brother mentioned above about music instruments and controversy...  I have the opposite opinion... I believe you should know the truth before you accept Islam.  I believe Islam is a great religion and there is nothing that we should add or take away from to make it imperfect.  I don't have to "sugar coat" islam.

You cannot have the opposite opinion brother, as I have not said that I should give him a lie as opposed to the truth.

The truth is, music is a contraversial topic, and there are two sides of the argument.

The truth is, music is not a matter of aqiida. So while you are trying to pull this person down in overly complicated topics that do not concern aqiida or iman, you are mising the entire point.

The truth is, I have sugar coated nothing, and stated that there are two differing arguments, both have strong evidences. I stated that the person should first look at the main points about Islam, and then go from there. This is the method of dawah of the Prophet (saw).

I can point to thousands of Muslims who sit an listen to music and many who own an instrument. Are they still not Muslim?

You are trying to set terms concerning matters that have no real importance.

This took place at the local mosque in my city. Someone interested in Islam comes to visit the mosque on jummah, and hangs out afterward. The Muslims begin to ask him questions. He tells them he is a student in College, studying his love, music. About 5, extremely ignorant Muslim college students begin to inform him that his love was a huge sin and was at odds with Islam.

The man left, and the same men began to argue about leadership at the mosque, fight about who should be in charge board, and of the children's school, etc, etc.

The interested person never showed up again.

Allahu akbar! Right?

I believe that Islam is the true religion of Allah, and one of the evidences is the fact that even with all of the ignorant and petty things that sometimes comes out of the mouths of Muslims in the 20th and 21st century, people still convert and the religion continues to grow. 

So having said that... Islam only allows a "duff" its type of a drum if you want to call it that...  no other instrument is allowed in Islam.  

You do know that it is haram to make something haram that is not haram? My point being, that there are two sides of this topic, and I doubt you are a qualified scholar who has such an opinion.

You do know that "playing violin" is not a part of aqiida? In other words, there is nothing in the Shariah that conclusively states that the two are mutally exclusive.

This person does not even have the basics, and yet you feel that it is so important to focus on a petty subject and create a stone in the path of an interested party?

A stone that may not actually exist given the contraversial nature?

Also, once you stop playing it... you'll notice how much free time you have and how many things you can accomplish with that time...

anecdotal. You have absolutely no idea how much time he may or may not have. You are maing a claim that you have no way of knowing if it will be true or not.

There are so many people suffering through the globe... if we all spent a little time in effort to help these people, we'd be in a better world today.

So if someone gives up a violin, they will have the means and ability to travel around the globe? Let me ask you. How much traveling around the globe to help people do you do? If not, then what holds you up?

I think that when we are all making all of our prayers correctly, and on time, and performing the sunnah prayers, and making the optional fasts, and we do this for years, then we might have the right to nit pick about such a trivial topic.

And in my opinion, I do not care how much time I spend with the basics, I can never agree with the idea of throwing unnecessary stones in the path of people wishing to learn about Islam. This is not "hiding" the truth, it is simply not allowing a matter that rests in a huge grey area to beome a hinderance, when it does not have to be, nor is it such.

So, when you do become a muslim, you'll see how we should live our lives personally as well as in our society.

This is a very simplified conlcusion of converting to Islam. When a person does become a Muslim, they enter into a covenant with Allah. The believer acknowledges various ideas and acts as necessary, and in return Allah offers various points. 

This is a path that brings us closer to our Maker, and in harmony with ourselves. These ideas are realized over time, as we explore the basics of the faith, and grow in our relationship with Gd.

Islam is not based upon slogans, nor have we ever been a people of slogans, such as, "Islam is the answer",  "Islam is the way",  "Islam shows us how we should live".

Music and such worldy matters will hold no value anymore...

Actually, the world does hold some value, and you are simplifying this concept. The poor have rights on those with money. Those with money have money because of some concern with the world and the blessing, or curse of Allah. We are given this money, as a rational agent, to use for those who have rights on us (the poor and needy and orphans), and we are able to rectify bad deeds in our lives through our actions with the money. If no one had any worldy concern, then who pays the bills? Helps build mosques? Feeds the needy and hungry? Buys medicine?

It is attributed to the prophet (saw) concerning a concept of this world: we should live in this world as travellers. This is different from being "devoid" of the world. A violin has nothing to do wtih this concept. Playing a violin is no worse than sitting at a sheesha bar smoking and talking, but no one at the mosque jumps up and down about an interested party who happens to sit at the sheesha bar and waste time talking and smoking. 

The question you should be asking is... what is keeping you from becoming a muslim...

I agree! But we have to make sure it (keeping someone from being a Muslim) is not an unecessary stone made up of a trivial argument that is not quite clear and is not a matter of aqiida.

My advice to you is... don't base your decisions on what you can and cannot do as a muslim... but is islam the truth.  If you believe it is the truth.. then you should not waste a single day and embrace your Lord as soon as you can because life is too short.

May Allah guide you in your decisions. Ameen.

I wish you peace,
Hamid

I agree!  

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic