IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Politics > Current Events
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - RE: Angela’s Plan  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

RE: Angela�s Plan

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 17>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Whisper View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whisper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 August 2006 at 2:22pm

�If I were in the States, I would be out pounding the streets ��

All that got me was (were?) a couple of bloody fists.

Brother, I know, these obese dollar loving flag worshipping poor Americans. If they could think even for 33 seconds one day the world won't be such killing fileds.

Or is it that the poor duffers are just ruled and controlled by AIPAC and not by the congress?

Anyway, poor people like these don't survive for very long. We don't need to quote anything from history as they think it just started on September 11.

Duende View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duende Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 August 2006 at 1:19pm
Servetus, okay, thank you, now I too understand.

I like the image you conjured for me of Arundhati Roy holding a big
umbrella. In fact, I think you just invented a word: umbrellist. Nice
one!

And just for your record, I agree absolutely with your frustration with
the UN and others. My personal thought is that all post WWII
institutions have reached decadence and outrun their natural lives/
usefullness. The world has changed too much geopolitically, and
they have not kept up.

It's largely because of this that I criticized Angela's plan in the first
place. But also because we don't yet have a suitable substitute that I
feel the UN should at least sputter on, maybe there's a chance for
improvement ...

Servetus View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Servetus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 August 2006 at 9:53am

Thanks, Sign Reader.  I missed your post wherein you mentioned MIC, but I have been rather highly attuned to the concept from the time that I first learned about President Eisenhower's (largely unheeded) warning to the nation.  It might interest you to know that many of us Americans are in fact quite aware of the issue and that there is a recently published and excellent book on the topic, written by an American academician (Boston University) and military man (West Point, Viet-Nam), Dr. Andrew Bacevich.  I have read it and strongly encourage others to do so.  It puts responsibility for much of the mess we (as a nation) are in right where it belongs: not on AIPAC, not on George W. Bush (although he is in a sense complicit), but squarely upon the laps of the American people themselves, which includes me.  Find reviews of the book here:  

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0195173384/002-3225494-0916 830?v=glance&n=283155

Duende,

You are quoted below.

Quote � but from here in Southern Spain, my best option is to be a cyber activist.

To that, I said "I understand."  I mean I understand about cyber activism being your best option.  Sometimes it is also mine.  I hope that you keep exercising that option because I like your posts and your activism!

Quote Do you mean we are as likely to be succesfull as the foreign fighters who joined the Spanish civil war?

No.  I was really just thinking of Hemmingway and of his times and was drawing an admittedly indistinct parallel between that time and ours.  There was no particular point to the statement. 

Quote Could it just be you think any initiative is a waste of time, or bound to fail? Please, just say so

No, I think neither.  I apologize if I have seemed overly pessimistic.

Quote Over on The Pond Patty has also made comments which add absolutely nothing to the idea of an umbrella pressure group. Angel has also written that she feels Cassandra and I are not willing to listen to their comments. That's because we've had enough of comments which only seem to poke holes (which we already know are there) in this idea.

I, for my part, made an attempt to add something to the idea of an umbrella pressure group by quoting excerpts from the great umbrellist Arundhati Roy and by introducing, among other possible groups, her World Social Forum as one of possibly many reference points.  As for my jokes about the US Congress and the effectiveness of letter-writing, there is (as I see it) truth behind my humor and hyperbole. 

Quote I don't see any point in discussing what we all know: i.e the strength of AIPAC, the dead drudge of writing letters to representatives, the power of military/corporate greed etc. etc.

Ok.  Agreed.  Let's not discuss it (at least not here).  I was just responding, perhaps with too much levity, and was trying to express my sense of frustration at being unable to actually effect change from my side, here in the States.  It is true that I don't have much confidence in the existing and institutional mechanisms for change such as the deliberative bodies (UN) and various parliaments, but that's another topic.

Quote We just want to pressurise as many NGOs and peace orgs into uniting their voices/actions and raise a 'critical mass'. If we have to, we'll do it wihout anybody else's help, but it would be nice to have a few people encourage the idea, even if they are too disheartened to actually do anything concrete.

In that case, please consider yourself encouraged and know that I am not too disheartened to do anything concrete (provided it's legal).  Unfortunately for my poor self, my 30 minutes at this public library Internet terminal are about to expire.  I'll talk to you later.

Serv

Duende View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duende Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 August 2006 at 5:00am
Servetus said:

"I understand.� I have been to Portugal more recently than to Spain.� I
was thinking today, over lunch, of Ernest Hemmingway and others
who, in their day,�went off to Spain to�write of foreign (but somehow
personal) wars ..."

I'm not sure what you understand, what do you mean?

Do you mean we are as likely to be succesfull as the foreign fighters
who joined the Spanish civil war?

In fact, I really don't know what you're saying in this post.

Could it just be you think any initiative is a waste of time, or bound
to fail? Please, just say so. Over on The Pond Patty has also made
comments which add absolutely nothing to the idea of an umbrella
pressure group. Angel has also written that she feels Cassandra and I
are not willing to listen to their comments. That's because we've had
enough of comments which only seem to poke holes (which we
already know are there) in this idea.

I don't see any point in discussing what we all know: i.e the strength
of AIPAC, the dead drudge of writing letters to representatives, the
power of military/corporate greed etc. etc.

We just want to pressurise as many NGOs and peace orgs into
uniting their voices/actions and raise a 'critical mass'. If we have to,
we'll do it wihout anybody else's help, but it would be nice to have a
few people ancourage the idea, even if they are too disheartened to
actually do anything concrete

�

�

Serv��
Sign*Reader View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sign*Reader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 August 2006 at 11:31pm
Originally posted by Servetus Servetus wrote:

�� and sending letters to congress etc.�

Congress already has letters.  On one buttock, they have �AIPAC� branded with a hot iron; on the other, �military-industrial complex;� and they have '666' tatooed on their collective forehead.      

Serv   

LOL
LOL

Edited by Sign*Reader - 23 March 2010 at 10:14pm
Servetus View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Servetus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 August 2006 at 4:57pm

�I admire Arundhati Roy for her activism, and intellect.�

So do I, Duende.  When I posted the excerpt, I almost commented upon her apparent ability to balance both heart and head.

�If I were in the States, I would be out pounding the streets ��

All that got me was (were?) a couple of bloody fists.

�� and sending letters to congress etc.�

Congress already has letters.  On one buttock, they have �AIPAC� branded with a hot iron; on the other, �military-industrial complex;� and they have '666' tatooed on their collective forehead.      

�� but from here in Southern Spain, my best option is to be a cyber activist.�

I understand.  I have been to Portugal more recently than to Spain.  I was thinking today, over lunch, of Ernest Hemmingway and others who, in their day, went off to Spain to write of foreign (but somehow personal) wars ...

Serv   

Edited by Servetus
Cassandra View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cassandra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 August 2006 at 12:02pm

Cass said: I have said for a while now that I think we need to form an umbrella
group.  But everytime I do so I have been told to calm down and chill
and wait for the bus.  Sorry, the bus passed us while we were waiting and asleep.  It swept by with such a speed that we didn't even 
recognise its passing."

Duende countered: Cassandra, I understand, and you're absolutely right! I also want to make sure you don't feel I am 'stealing' your suggestion and posting it as My Big Idea. I hate playground politics and as adults I don't think it's at all constructive to fall back on them, as tempting as it is.

If we were really retentive we'd be pasting and claiming: "I said it
first! No! I said it first!" And then we could all reach for our Lugers or
AK47

So, a suggestion: each of us takes time to research peace orgs and
find out what they are standing for and whether they appear to be
good targets. How does that sound? We need to put a deadline on it,
otherwise we'll just be sitting on the bus waiting for the driver
(GROAN)

Please get back to me as the more people do this, the quicker we'll
get a start.[/QUOTE]

Hey Girl, absolutely no competition intended nor implied.  It doesn't matter who says what or when.  All that metters is what we do about it.  July was perfect for me to really get actively involved.  August is called "making a living" and I don't have internet access at home. BUT, I suggest we divvy up the alphabet of grass roots organizations and contact them with our ideas.  Make some suggestions, send them to Maryah, Colin, Whisper, Colin, Herjihad, Servetus, Suleyman, Patty, Angel, Daniel........anyone who wants to get involved, and we must now: the time for talking has passed. Lebanon hjas made it so. The problem is, to my way of thinking: what is/are our ideas.? Angela came up with her plan and it is certainly a start, but with Afghanistan and Lebanon added to the equation (and they must be), we have to re-think our intentions.  What is our operation agenda?  Are we yet solid enough in our plans to contact other, much more experienced agencies than ourselves with our ideas of an umbrella group? You know how egos get in the way of these things, verdad?  I would be more than happy to hand that responsibility over to another group willing to "shelter" other groups, but make them a power to be reckoned with.  If no-one else can do it, well then, we do it ourselves.  I have suggested splitting the alp[habet: I'll happily take, say a - e.  But we need something solid, something we all agree upon when we contact these groups. 

What is, as I think either Colin or Whisper said early on, our Mission statement?

Also posted on The Pond.

Duende View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duende Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 August 2006 at 11:33am
Thank you Serv, I admire Arundhati Roy for her activism, and
itellect. If we could mobilise the millions of Muslims in India, we
would have greatly added to our chances of moving politics

This is particularly relevant and from what I can see, a HUGE problem
in the US:

"If we want to reclaim the space for civil disobedience, we will have to
liberate ourselves from the tyranny of crisis reportage and its fear of
the mundane. We have to use our experience, our imagination, and
our art to interrogate the instruments of that state that ensure that
"normality" remains what it is: cruel, unjust, unacceptable. We have to
expose the policies and processes that make ordinary things - food,
water, shelter and dignity - such a distant dream for ordinary people.
Real pre-emptive strike is to understand that wars are the end result
of flawed and unjust peace."

Perhaps an answer is to get the alternative, independent media on our
side and acting as our mouthpiece. Alternet recently declared their
editorial line would be refocussing on Iraq and on bringing the real
story to the forefront. But then again, we have reached that all too
common tipping point of emotional/charity overload, more grisly
news from Iraq is just old news. Nobody has the stomach to read it
any more. And as with Afghanistan, the media have dropped it and
moved on to the next big thing.

Here in Spain, Castro's imminent death (I want to borrow from Garcia
Marquez and call it 'una muerte anunciada') has shoved Lebanon onto