IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Regional > Americas
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Who was Kwame Ture?  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Who was Kwame Ture?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Senior  Member
Male Christian
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2006 at 1:48pm
I thought Kwame Ture was an athiest.

Did he ever submit to Islam?
Christian; Wesleyan M.Div.
Escobar View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Escobar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2006 at 11:44pm

sekou Toure was a muslim her wrote a book "islam for the people's benefit"

im not sure about the others

Escobar View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Escobar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2006 at 12:06am
Originally posted by Angela Angela wrote:

�All we got to do is show (blacks) who the enemy is. At least they�re ready to shoot.� 
KWAME TURE

I think I will continue to honor Dr. King and Malcom X (after his leaving the NoI for true Islam).  No one should call for the death of another.  I agree with the desire to throw off oppression and work for equality.  I disagree with inciting death in order to gain those things. 

dont give me that bologna!!!

yeah blacks should not fight back!!they should just take it!!

its a time for peace and a time for war....if someone is Shooting at u physically,culturally,spiritually, economically, and mentally for the past 500 years!!!!  BY GOD U BETTER SHOOT BACK!!!

Angela View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angela Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2006 at 7:38am

Right, so what happens to the interracial couple? Would you kill the white mother and leave the black son without his parent? Do you really think that killing whites is going to raise the african americans up or keep them down?  I'm not saying anyone should stand for injustice, however, there are better ways of bringing people up out of darkness. 

The key is education, not war.  Instead of giving the young men guns, give them books.  Let them learn about Booker T Washington, Charles Drew, Frederick Douglas, Martin Luther King, Jr., Malcom X, and many more.  All these men made a positive impact on this world.  All of them had an education. 

We all need to be investing in programs like the United Negro College Fund.  We need to encourage grants and small business loans for disadvantaged business owners.  We need to encourage better schools in poorer areas and more college outreach to these areas.

Don't sit back and take it, get up and do something.  But violence only destroys, it never builds.

Suleyman View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suleyman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2006 at 7:52am

Could you be loved and be loved?
Could you be loved and be loved

Bob Marley/Could You Be Loved?

Don't let them fool you
Or even try to school you, Oh! No
We've got a mind of our own
So go to hell if what you're thinkin' isn't right
Love would never leave us alone
In the darkness there must come out to light

The road of life is rocky
And you may stumble too
So while you point your fingers
Someone else is judgin' you
Love your brotherman

Could you be, could you be, could you be loved?
Could you be, could you be loved?

Don't let them change you
Or even rearrange you, Oh! No
We've got a life to live
They say only, only
Only the fittest of the fittest shall survive
Stay alive

You ain't gonna miss your water
Until your well runs dry
No matter how you treat him
The man will never be satisfied
Could you be, could you be, could you be loved
Could you be, could you be loved
Could you be, could you be loved

Say something, say something, say something
Say something
Reggae, Reggae
Say something
Rockers, Rockers
Say something could you be loved

Escobar View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Escobar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2006 at 3:19pm
Originally posted by Angela Angela wrote:

Right, so what happens to the interracial couple? Would you kill the white mother and leave the black son without his parent? Do you really think that killing whites is going to raise the african americans up or keep them down?  I'm not saying anyone should stand for injustice, however, there are better ways of bringing people up out of darkness. 

The key is education, not war.  Instead of giving the young men guns, give them books.  Let them learn about Booker T Washington, Charles Drew, Frederick Douglas, Martin Luther King, Jr., Malcom X, and many more.  All these men made a positive impact on this world.  All of them had an education. 

We all need to be investing in programs like the United Negro College Fund.  We need to encourage grants and small business loans for disadvantaged business owners.  We need to encourage better schools in poorer areas and more college outreach to these areas.

Don't sit back and take it, get up and do something.  But violence only destroys, it never builds.

Well if u take from that quote that Toure wanted to kill all white people then u dont understand the context in which Toure was speaking....

no education system is nuetral...School is also a socialization process in which children are taught to confirm with the social norms, political ideologies, religious doctrine, economic philosophy, of their given society...Since the political ideology, economic philosophies, values, world view etc of soceity are cleary wrong and then  the educational system in itself is a branch of the oppressive establishment and is used as a means of controling the black and poor...Therefore in order for education to liberate blacks the system must first be changed..ie, revolution!!!

This also goes back to education system not being nuetral...blacks are constantly taught to idolize such figures as King...But are not taught much about other great figures such as Nat Turner, Marcus Garvey, Black Panthers, KWAME TOURE, etc...and i wonder why??

Yeah we should invest in the UNited Negro Fund but what is the ultimate Goal of the UNited Negro Fund??  It is not to train Blacks with the skills they need to liberate their peoples, but rather the oppossite is true....Train them to work in coporate America and move out to the suburbs...Once again no education system is nuetral...Education system is just another branch of government...

Like i said its a time for peace and a time for violence..."Nobody can give you freedom. Nobody can give you equality or justice or anything. If you're a man, you take it. "

"They are violent when their interests are at stake. But all of that violence that they display at the international level, when you and I want just a little bit of freedom, we're supposed to be nonviolent. "

Angela View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angela Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2006 at 3:39pm
Originally posted by Escobar Escobar wrote:

Yeah we should invest in the UNited Negro Fund but what is the ultimate Goal of the UNited Negro Fund??  It is not to train Blacks with the skills they need to liberate their peoples, but rather the oppossite is true....Train them to work in coporate America and move out to the suburbs...Once again no education system is nuetral...Education system is just another branch of government...

I'm not one of those who touts the US as the end all, be all.  But, honestly, if the US didn't have opportunities for the Black Americans, we wouldn't have so many wonderful immigrants to this country coming willingly in the thousands.  I've met some wonderful men and women from the Sudan, Ethiopia, South Africa and the Ivory Coast.  They came here for a variety of reasons, but all came here for the opportunities it gives them.

I think there is nothing wrong with teaching young black men to idolize King while not idolizing radical racist groups like the Nation of Islam and the Black Panthers.

I wouldn't want my son to be taught to idolize the KKK as a Christian group with the best interests of their race involved.  I know this to be untrue.  There are many groups that claim to be the savior of their race.  But men of true dignity, education and conscience shine through.

The men like Kwame, obviously don't have that deep belief, or he would have stayed here and continued to fight for his people.  Instead he left and went to Africa.  In the end, what did he do for the kid in South Central LA.  What did he do for the poor boy in Louisiana?  Nothing.  That cannot be said about Malcom X, King, Douglas or Washington.  They all made lasting impacts.

The militant arm of any group always hurts the greater goals.  Look at the current situation with Islam.  Instead of people seeing the real face of Islam.  They are seeing these heretical groups that make up fatwas to show how their killing civilians and innocent is acceptible.  Instead of helping spread Islam, they are bringing more war and more hardships to the innocent followers of Islam.  Meanwhile, the more people the kill, the more hearts are hardened against the Message of Muhammed.  In the end, they have done more harm than good.

The same is with any group.  People are less likely to support a group if they are willing to kill anyone for not agreeing with them.  My Great Grandmother came to this country because soldiers came into the village and threatened everyone to submit.  When the people seemed reluctant, they drug a nun, into the street, raped her, cut off her breasts and left her to die.  The next day, knowing it was the last time he'd see her, my Great-great grandfather put her on a cart to Hamburg to board a ship and come to America where she would be safe.  Later, when the enemy came, I'm sure few in that village were willing to help those soldiers.

As for the UNCF, they are there to provide the ability for young men and women to get an education.  There are other programs and other ways.  Perhaps no education system is impartial.  No system is completely impartial.  But trying to improve the education systems in the inner cities is still better than killing white people in the suburbs.  The former will have a lasting effect.  The latter will only get those who extend the violence death sentences in a justice system already stacked against them.

Suleyman View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suleyman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2006 at 3:55pm

Escobar Wrote:

"no education system is nuetral...School is also a socialization process in which children are taught to confirm with the social norms, political ideologies, religious doctrine, economic philosophy, of their given society...Since the political ideology, economic philosophies, values, world view etc of soceity are cleary wrong and then  the educational system in itself is a branch of the oppressive establishment and is used as a means of controling the black and poor...Therefore in order for education to liberate blacks the system must first be changed..ie, revolution!!!

This also goes back to education system not being nuetral...blacks are constantly taught to idolize such figures as King...But are not taught much about other great figures such as Nat Turner, Marcus Garvey, Black Panthers, KWAME TOURE, etc...and i wonder why??

....Train them to work in coporate America and move out to the suburbs...Once again no education system is nuetral...Education system is just another branch of government..."

------------------------------------------------------------ ------

Babylon System

Bob Marley/ Babylon System

Marley illustrates his view of the system in a casual voice. The wine press serves as a visual metaphor of Babylon. A reminder for current and future generations that without equal opportunity in society, it is "sucking the blood of the sufferer," making it easier to lose hope for unity, peace, and freedom. "Got to rebel."

We refuse to be
What you wanted us to be
We are what we are
That's the way it's going to be, if you don't know
You can't educate I
For no equal opportunity
Talking about my freedom
People freedom and liberty

Yeah, we've been trodding on
The winepress much too long
Rebel, Rebel
We've been trodding on the