IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Culture & Community > Groups : Women (Sisters)
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - How to deal with difficult MIL  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How to deal with difficult MIL

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Angela View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angela Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How to deal with difficult MIL
    Posted: 02 October 2006 at 8:18am

Oh, dear.  You're mother in law is wrestling with some very big demons.  Just focus on your little girl and take joy in her.  I do feel bad for your husband, but this is something he's going to have to deal with on his own.  It might be best for him to cut ties with his mother for a while.  Show her that he's serious about you and his daughter.  Perhaps the threat of truly and really losing her son will force her to evaluate things.  This happened with my father in law.

They did not like me because I was not Mormon.  Now, according to my brother in law, I'm like a daughter to him. (he doesn't really show emotion to even his sons so sometimes its hard to tell) 

Instead of focusing on the MIL, (which is what she wants) focus on the baby and ignore her behavior.  She is acting like a toddler and reacting to it will only let her know that the tantrums are working.  If you both make an effort to ignore the tantrums and refuse to react to them, then she'll eventually get the idea its not working.

The best way to unspoil a child is to not give them what they want.  And your MIL is very much a spoiled child.

Now, give your daughter a hug from us all and enjoy Ramadan and Eid with your new family.

222dnallohc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 222dnallohc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 October 2006 at 7:09am

Ramadan Mubarek

Thank you sisters for your care and concern during the difficult time I went though.  I am happy to say that I gave birth to my daughter on August 14th, and she weighed 8 lb 12 oz masha'Allah.  She is growing and changing so quickly, and I absolutely love being a mother.  It fills every day with happiness, and I thank Allah every day for the blessing we have been given.

Mother in law is still an issue.  My daughter was very sick last week with a fever and was admitted to the hospital, and she was only 6 weeks old at that point.  Mother in law never called or asked about her.  This morning my husband was talking to his mother and told her he was really hurt that she never asked about her grand daughter in the hospital.  She proceeded to scream at him, call me aweful names, and say that she does not recognize her granddaughter.  My husband then told her he never wants to speak to her again. 

He has been telling me that he wants to cut ties with her, and I told him thats not going to help anything and its not the right thing to do.  But he is so hurt.  He called me in tears this morning.  I am so sad for him.  He believes that his mother is very jealous of us and thinks that I have stolen him away from her.  How could she be so cruel?  Our little baby is innocent in this whole thing, how could MIL be so mean to her?

Any suggestions on how to handle this?  Jazakallahkhair

europa View Drop Down
Starter
Starter
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote europa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2006 at 1:51pm

I'm really happy to hear about your good fortune.  Good luck with your baby and your family in your new home.  May Allah continue blessing you and yours. 

All the best!

Angela View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angela Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2006 at 8:40pm

That's great news.  I'm so glad to hear things are going well.  Its nice to see things are going well.  We'll keep you and the little princess to be in our prayers.

God Bless,

Angie

222dnallohc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 222dnallohc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2006 at 4:23pm

Wow this thread has new life all of the sudden.  My husband and I just moved into our house alhamdulillah.  No more hotel- I am so happy about that :)  My stress level from MIL has decreased a lot, I am just putting the problems out of my mind.  There is no way to politely talk or reason with her about all this- she refuses to listen and will NEVER admit when she is wrong.  I just keep quiet and havent said a thing to her....luckily we dont have to live together.  We still havent spoken in a very long time.  Maybe some day we will, but right now its better this way.

Things are going fine for my husband and I.  Our real estate agent is giving us a rebate from her commission and it will pay for our baby items.  My husband is a wonderful negotiator :)  Things are really looking up, and my father in law is trying really hard to put his family back together...I think I mentioned that there were some problems.  So inshAllah, things may work out eventually.  If things were better within the rest of his family, maybe there is hope that the problems will stop between MIL and us as well.  If MIL decides to ignore her grand daughter, she is really going to miss a lot :(

Suleyman View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suleyman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2006 at 1:40pm
....happy end!!!,we all agreed....My Dear Sister Angela,insh'Allah, Allah will give you a gift for your peaceful heart,take care...

Edited by Suleyman
Angela View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angela Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2006 at 1:29pm

Suleyman,

Perhaps its just that the women in my family do not treat each other or their inlaws that way.  My Grandmothers are wonderful to their daughter in laws.  They drive to help them with the housework, stay at the house when new babies are born, never treat them like dirt.  My grandmothers call their son's wives, daughters.  And they mean it.  My family is very much about including the newcomers, not excluding them.

Losing her womanhood????  My grandmothers are proud of every wrinkle.  My mother's mother worked hard her entire life and has never had fancy things.  She's quiet happy to have her grey hair and "arm flabbies" as she calls them.  She's 75 as of yesterday and has never had a care for vanity.  And she was GORGEOUS as a young woman.  My grandmother was from all accounts one of the most beautiful women in town.  Vanity is a sin.  A moisturizer doesn't need to cost $250 to work well.  There are some very good ones that cost more like $25 from cosmetic companies that are fine.

A Mother in Law who views her daughter in laws like the enemy is mentally ill.  These are daughters that her sons have given to her.  If she feels that this gift is beneath her, then she's got more problems than just feeling old.

I'm looking at passing that mark of youth.  I look at the mirror and see the lines at the corners of my eyes starting to extend.  I feel the arthritis in my bones and see the pounds that hide my once curvy figure.  Aging comes to us all, we can't escape it, we cannot run from it and we can't stop it.  So, really, I am looking at this woman and the more I think about it, the more it angers me. 

We, Mormons, believe the family to be eternal.  The mothers and children are forever connected, but also the spouses and their inlaws.  I will forever be bound to my late mother in law and father in law.  I look forward to the day I will meet my mother in law.  Everyone that knew says we would have been best friends.  I also look forward to the day, God Willing, when my son brings home his wife and makes her part of our family.  Or my daughter brings me a son...

Instead of trying to understand someone's vanity, perhaps the vain person should be forced to look at themselves and what their actions are doing to the family at large.

Suleyman View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suleyman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2006 at 1:18pm

I know sister,i also know your feelings,also i can write your stories how you have been suffering from them with an teasing side but i do not want to seem to having all i see from sides or just having fun with the issue because there is a serious problem can not be taken lightly...both side,i love all of them just wanted to find a solution...if the MIL has written here telling her story,be sure of that i will also write to her bravely that you will all cheer up to the words..you know i lived with my grandma for two years and i know what she has done to the brides and also brides's defense to the grandma....

May Allah help all of us..

But you said:so if mom's overseas getting $250.00 face creams and riding around like a queen

Sister,just ten minutes ago i have brushed my red neck water turtle's back with Colgate Triple Action,after your words,i feel guilty....

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
  Share Topic