IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Culture & Community > Groups : Youth
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Wearing Quranic verses as necklaces  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Wearing Quranic verses as necklaces

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sister_s06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wearing Quranic verses as necklaces
    Posted: 04 June 2006 at 10:42am

Assalamualaikum,

As muslims are we allowed to wear Quranic verses as necklaces? I'm not sure if this is allowed or not. Please explain.

AhmedNagi View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AhmedNagi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2006 at 12:53am
Al Salamu Alaykum Wa Rahmatu Allahi Wa Barakatuh,

I dont really know if its allowed or not, but i have seen alot of people wear
them. I think (but im not sure) its ok. Check with your local mosque just in
case. One thing i'm sure of though is that if u wear it, just make sure u dont
enter the toilet or any filthy place wearing it.
Come to think of it, i think u can only touch anything that is mostly coposed
of Quranic text if u are clean and have performed ablution. So if this is true,
then i think u should be clean at all times when wearing it (if it is allowed).
Again this is not for sure, so check with ur local mosque. Until then avoid
wearing one in case its wrong.
salman_s View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote salman_s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2006 at 2:36am

no sister, we as muslims - both men and women are not allowed to wear Qur'anic verses as necklaces or lockets

insha Allah the following article will help you -

Topic :
Pendants with Qur'an
Question:
In our country, some people have Qur'anic verses written on a clean, white paper which is then wrapped with the use of incense and bound by a black cloth. This is worn as a necklace which is supposed to protect the person wearing it and give him some social prestige. Is this practice acceptable?
Answer:
This sort of thing is known as a charm. The Prophet has told us that wearing such a charm is very strictly forbidden, and he has made his statement in the most emphatic way. He prayed to Allah never to grant the person who wears such a charm the wishes for which he wears it. As you realize, every prayer or supplication made by the Prophet is answered by Allah. The Prophet was once impressed by a poet who wrote a beautiful poem praising Islam and glorifying Allah. When the poet finished reciting the poem, the Prophet said to him "May your mouth be protected," which was the type of thing Arabs used to say to anyone who speaks well. That poet lived until the age of 130 without losing a single tooth. Numerous are the examples of how Allah answered every single prayer the Prophet said. Therefore, when he prays Allah not to grant the wishes of someone who does a particular action, then we are sure that those wishes will never be granted. Let us reflect on the action of wearing a charm. It suggests that a particular object has certain powers. It may be said that the power is that of Allah, since it is Qur'anic verses that are written in such a charm. This is absolute rubbish because Allah's will does not work through the writing of Qur'anic verses or hanging a pendant with a few words from the Qur'an. [Added: or hanging a plaque with Qur'anic verses with that thinking. However, if the idea is that others may read the plaque and thereby be blessed by Allah for reading that part of Qur'an, then that is acceptable.] If one wants to rid himself of the effects of evil schemes worked by evil persons, then all he has to do is to supplicate to Allah to protect him. The Prophet has taught us so many prayers to say at different parts of the day and night. If we do, then we have that protection. When you make such a prayer, you are conscious of what you are saying. You are addressing Allah, showing your submission to Him. When you do so, He responds to your prayer. But when you wear a charm or you put in your pocket or under your clothes a piece of paper with Qur'anic verses written on it, you are assuming that the writing itself has a power of its own. There is no action in which you are really and truly involved. You are not addressing Allah at all. This is an action similar to that of a person who keeps a copy of the Qur'an in his car, hoping that it will help him avoid accidents. Accidents are avoided by careful driving, not by putting a copy of the Qur'an in the car. But if you want Allah's help in avoiding accidents, you pray Allah when you are about to start your car to help you drive carefully and avoid any misjudgment on your part and on the part of other drivers. By so doing, you are asking Allah's help. He answers the prayer of anyone who turns to Him for help, acknowledging His Lordship.

Edited by salman_s
sister_s06 View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sister_s06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2006 at 9:41am
jazakallah Brother. It makes sense now. Only problem is how do I explain it to my mom? Any suggestions?

Edited by sister_s06
salman_s View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote salman_s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2006 at 11:35pm

Originally posted by sister_s06 sister_s06 wrote:

jazakallah Brother. It makes sense now. Only problem is how do I explain it to my mom? Any suggestions?

you can read it out to her or make your mom read my post and article

Edited by salman_s
herjihad View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herjihad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2006 at 6:07am
Originally posted by salman_s salman_s wrote:

no sister, we as muslims - both men and women are not allowed to wear Qur'anic verses as necklaces or lockets

insha Allah the following article will help you -

Topic :
Pendants with Qur'an
Question:
In our country, some people have Qur'anic verses written on a clean, white paper which is then wrapped with the use of incense and bound by a black cloth. This is worn as a necklace which is supposed to protect the person wearing it and give him some social prestige. Is this practice acceptable?
Answer:
This sort of thing is known as a charm. The Prophet has told us that wearing such a charm is very strictly forbidden, and he has made his statement in the most emphatic way. He prayed to Allah never to grant the person who wears such a charm the wishes for which he wears it. As you realize, every prayer or supplication made by the Prophet is answered by Allah. The Prophet was once impressed by a poet who wrote a beautiful poem praising Islam and glorifying Allah. When the poet finished reciting the poem, the Prophet said to him "May your mouth be protected," which was the type of thing Arabs used to say to anyone who speaks well. That poet lived until the age of 130 without losing a single tooth. Numerous are the examples of how Allah answered every single prayer the Prophet said. Therefore, when he prays Allah not to grant the wishes of someone who does a particular action, then we are sure that those wishes will never be granted. Let us reflect on the action of wearing a charm. It suggests that a particular object has certain powers. It may be said that the power is that of Allah, since it is Qur'anic verses that are written in such a charm. This is absolute rubbish because Allah's will does not work through the writing of Qur'anic verses or hanging a pendant with a few words from the Qur'an. [Added: or hanging a plaque with Qur'anic verses with that thinking. However, if the idea is that others may read the plaque and thereby be blessed by Allah for reading that part of Qur'an, then that is acceptable.] If one wants to rid himself of the effects of evil schemes worked by evil persons, then all he has to do is to supplicate to Allah to protect him. The Prophet has taught us so many prayers to say at different parts of the day and night. If we do, then we have that protection. When you make such a prayer, you are conscious of what you are saying. You are addressing Allah, showing your submission to Him. When you do so, He responds to your prayer. But when you wear a charm or you put in your pocket or under your clothes a piece of paper with Qur'anic verses written on it, you are assuming that the writing itself has a power of its own. There is no action in which you are really and truly involved. You are not addressing Allah at all. This is an action similar to that of a person who keeps a copy of the Qur'an in his car, hoping that it will help him avoid accidents. Accidents are avoided by careful driving, not by putting a copy of the Qur'an in the car. But if you want Allah's help in avoiding accidents, you pray Allah when you are about to start your car to help you drive carefully and avoid any misjudgment on your part and on the part of other drivers. By so doing, you are asking Allah's help. He answers the prayer of anyone who turns to Him for help, acknowledging His Lordship.

Bismillah,

JAK Brother Salman.  This is a great piece.  This man uses his common sense to apply Islaam rather than following blindly without thinking.  Ma'ShahAllah!

But the sister has a dilemna that transcends this question/answer session presented here.  First of all, her MOM is asking her to wear such a necklace, not a charm.  Charms are clearly at least makruh if not haram.  But necklaces with Quran on them are so common that I'm sure Shyookh have approved of them.  There IS a difference between the two. 

Sis, you know it's easy to get around such things.  I think it's okay to wear the necklace and have a safe place to keep it when you go to the bathroom.  Then you can keep "forgetting" to put it on after you have left the bathroom. 

This is a small solution so that you don't have to have a conflict with your MOM over such a matter.  She might find it really insulting that something that she considers halal to be doubted by you.  Now, if you have a sheikh whom she respects and get a ruling from him, that would be effective and respectful.

Peace

Al-Hamdulillah (From a Married Muslimah) La Howla Wa La Quwata Illa BiLLah - There is no Effort or Power except with Allah's Will.
salman_s View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote salman_s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2006 at 7:11am
Originally posted by salman_s salman_s wrote:

Originally posted by sister_s06 sister_s06 wrote:

you can read it out to her or make your mom read my post and article

don't you think sister that this is a much better suggestion?

sister_s06 View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sister_s06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2006 at 8:40am

Jak for both your responses. I have mentioned to mom about it in the past, but was not successful in getting her to cooperate. For now I have taken it off. But since its not that visibile she thinks I'm still wearing it.

I think both your suggestions will work. Inshallah I'll use the bathroom excuse until I find a suitable time to make her read brother Salman's piece.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic