IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Stories - How I Became Muslim?
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Facing Challenges of New Convert  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Facing Challenges of New Convert

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nausheen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Facing Challenges of New Convert
    Posted: 08 March 2005 at 8:40pm

Topic:

Facing Challenges of Being a New Convert (1 of 4), Read 96 times

Conf:

Islam: How I Became Muslim

Um Ayaan Noor [email protected]

Date:

Saturday, January 31, 2004 12:18 AM

Asalamu Alaikum

Every day I'm filled with so much gratitude for Allah showing me the right path. Two weeks ago, after intense study and prayer I took my Shahada. I started studying Islam when I had met someone who made a tremendous impact on my life with the wisdom he imparted me. When I found out that he was muslim, I started thinking that it had to be God that had given him all of this wisdom and it started me thinking. You see...I was raised in a Christian home and it's all I've ever known until now. All I knew about Islam is the stereotypes and myths that are projected by the media in my society. In spite of that, I began to think. I had to ask myself if I am so prideful that I think I know all there is to know about God and the way He wants me to live my life. Not to mention, that all of this occurred at what was probably the most depressed time in my life. All thanks to Allah that He opened my eyes.

It's not been easy though. My family is very unhappy with my decision. They don't understand it and are so upset that I would do this and bring my two little girls into it. I've also had a few uncomfortable encounters with sisters, who upon learning that I'm not married, and have 2 children, have drastically changed their attitudes towards me. Sometimes I feel like a divorced white woman who is a mother of two doesn't "fit in", but then I remember that Allah knows better.

So...I'd really love to meet some sisters here. I really am yearning to get to know my fellow sisters. I also appreciate any advice that anyone would have for dealing with the above situations. May Allah reward you greatly.

Your sister, Noor

Topic:

Facing Challenges of Being a New Convert (2 of 4), Read 94 times

Conf:

pathseeker111

Date:

Wednesday, February 04, 2004 12:49 AM

On 1/31/2004 12:18:00 AM, Um Ayaan Noor wrote:

>I've also had a few
>uncomfortable encounters with
>sisters, who upon learning
>that I'm not married, and have
>2 children, have drastically
>changed their attitudes
>towards me. Sometimes I feel
>like a divorced white woman
>who is a mother of two doesn't
>"fit in", but then I remember
>that Allah knows better.

Assalamoalikum sister,

HE (ALLAH) saves whomsoever HE Wills. Alhamdolillah for this reversion of yours.

Sister do realise that the community who calls themselves Muslims (those who submit to HIS Will) may be different from the community HE shall label as Muslims on the day of Judgement.

Ignore reactions of people who ever they identify themselves as, bond with those who are humble, kind, honest, soft and gentle, sacrificing, and firmly devoted in the quest to please Allah. I think they are the ones who will question themselves before one questions them.....and will guard themselves from uncertainties.

Just persevere.............may you be with GOD, Ameen. You have willfully chosen a path that is steep :)

(AL-QURAN--85:21,22) Nay, this is a Glorious Qur'an. (Inscribed) in a Tablet Preserved!

Topic:

Facing Challenges of Being a New Convert (3 of 4), Read 89 times

Conf:

peaceinislam

Date:

Wednesday, February 04, 2004 05:17 AM

On 1/31/2004 12:18:00 AM, Um Ayaan Noor wrote:
>Asalamu Alaikum<

Wa laikuma salam wa ramatullahi wa barakatuhu.

>Every day I'm filled with so much gratitude for Allah showing me the right path. Two weeks ago, after intense study and prayer I took my Shahada.<

Alhamdu lillah and mabrook (congratulations). As with many reverts to Islam, you and I have had similar enough backgrounds before we became Muslim: raised in Christianity, feeling lost (religiously) a good deal of the time, etc. Alhamdu lillah, I found Islam. I don't ever feel I can be grateful enough for finding Islam, though I try to be.

>It's not been easy though. My family is very unhappy with my decision. They don't understand it and are so upset that I would do this and bring my two little girls into it.<

I understand this only to well. Many reverts (myself included) have had the same (or similar) problems with their family accepting them becoming Muslim. While some families accept that decision (over time), other families don't. It depends upon the family. I happen to be one of the luckier ones. My family is rather open minded (well, at least after the initial shock wore off). They listened to Islam and some of it's views. I'm still the only Muslim in my family, but I continue (every now and then) to talk to them about Islam.

>I've also had a few uncomfortable encounters with sisters, who upon learning that I'm not married, and have 2 children, have drastically changed their attitudes towards me. Sometimes I feel like a divorced white woman who is a mother of two doesn't "fit in", but then I remember that Allah knows better.<

Know that when one accepts Islam (whole-heartedly and without compulsion), it's as if that person is born again: all their previous sins have been wiped clean. This is how merciful Allah is to those who listen and accept Islam.

Unfortunately, people aren't the same. In Islam, we Muslims should accept you with open arms, help guide you to greater Islamic knowledge, and leave all cultural issues aside.

There is a verse that helped me when I first became Muslim, and I'll pass it along to you:

2:153 O ye who believe! seek help with patient perseverance and prayer; for Allah is with those who patiently persevere.

>So... I'd really love to meet some sisters here. I really am yearning to get to know my fellow sisters. I also appreciate any advice that anyone would have for dealing with the above situations. May Allah reward you greatly. Your sister, Noor<

I can't help you with all of the situations you're dealing with, but insha Allah, I'll always be here for you if you need someone to talk to. BTW: I'm a Sis. Again, welcome and congrats. Maa salama.

Edited by administrator
Khadija View Drop Down
Starter
Starter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Khadija Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2005 at 4:52pm

Asalamu Calaykum Sister

I know its been really hard getting to where u at now. as far has dealing with family conflicts and change of friends and the views that others might have on you. But i hope that you are at ease now. Sister iam really happy to see u convert to islam. and i hope it has already made a big impact in your life. You'll always meet new sisters around.so i wish u all the best in life and the decisions that u make in the future.

nurul View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nurul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2005 at 5:33am

Assalamualaikum Sister Noor,

Alhamdullillah Allah had given you the guidance. Patience and Taqwa to him will guide and enlighten you. Always talk to him, he will be there for you in anything of everything in life. He surely listen,  understand and forever forgiving. He know whats best for us coz he the all knowing.

If ever there is setback in ones life is only a test. But the reward is yet to come so don't be upset and disappointed. Ask him for the best he know and we will get the best from him.

Wassalam

Sister Khal

Meedo View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meedo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2005 at 2:14pm

salam aleikum sister

Sister,

whatever happened befroe Islam is not of any Muslim concern . On teh day you said teh shahada you had yr sheet clean as a born baby .

Enjoy , and dont care about ignorant people who call themselves Muslims buty doesnt follow the true teaching of the religion.

peavce and happiness be in yr life and after life

salam

Khadija1021 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Khadija1021 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2005 at 5:46pm

Assalamu Alaikum

This is a good topic.  I am a new Muslim and one of my biggest challenges is that I don't have even one single Muslim friend or accquantance in my community.    There are things I need to learn to do so I sent an e-mail the Islamic Foundation here in my area to find out what to do, but no one has replied to my call for help.    Inshallah they will soon.  I really need to find some community based support.  But in the mean time, I do have a wonderful support group right here on IC.

PAZ, Khadija

Say: 'My prayer and my rites, my living and my dying, are for Allah alone, the Lord of all the worlds. (Qur'an, 6:162)
Suleyman View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suleyman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2005 at 10:22pm
Originally posted by Khadija1021 Khadija1021 wrote:

Assalamu Alaikum

This is a good topic.  I am a new Muslim and one of my biggest challenges is that I don't have even one single Muslim friend or accquantance in my community.    There are things I need to learn to do so I sent an e-mail the Islamic Foundation here in my area to find out what to do, but no one has replied to my call for help.    Inshallah they will soon.  I really need to find some community based support.  But in the mean time, I do have a wonderful support group right here on IC.

PAZ, Khadija

Es_Selam'un Aleykum ve Rahmetullahi ve Berakatuh,

http://www.aicp.org

Sister Khadija,please try this site i know so many American Muslims from there one of was Sister Umm^abed passed months in that board and if you need to contact wit her let me know if you are living in Houston...please do not hesitate,when i had first entered to Islam my family rejected me to talk my only friend was an street dog called Lassie...i know how the new muslims can suffer in the first steps of islam,may Allah protect all of you...wa salaam...

Khadija1021 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Khadija1021 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2005 at 11:11pm

Assalamu Alaikum

Brother Suleyman, Jazak Allah!  You are so kind and caring.  May Allah bless you so dearly for all you have done to help me in Islam.   Alhamdulillah that there here on IC forum.   Although I lived in Houston at one time in my life, I now reside in Nebraksa but thank you for that kind offer to introduce me to Sister Ummabed.  Inshallah I will find  community of Muslims in my area soon.  Actually, I saw on the web page for the Islamic Foundation in my city that there is a public event next Saturday.  Although I feel shy about going to such an event by myself, I think I must do that in order to make contact with other Muslims in my city.  Inshallah it will be okay.

PAZ, Khadija

Say: 'My prayer and my rites, my living and my dying, are for Allah alone, the Lord of all the worlds. (Qur'an, 6:162)
ummziba View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ummziba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2005 at 4:58am

Assalamu alaikum Sister Khadija,

Do go to the event and do not be turned off by cold shoulders or seeming indifference.  Be friendly and open to the other Muslimahs and make it clear that you are a new Muslim and don't know any others in your area.

When I finally met a Muslim women in my city (after 3 years without knowing anyone), I ran into her in a shopping mall.  I greeted her with salaams and she greeted me back and walked away.  I was stunned.  By the Grace of Allah I gathered my courage and approached her again, making it clear that I lived here and was a new Muslim and didn't know any other Muslims.  After finally being clear about who I was and what I needed, she became very friendly.  She, knowing the small handful of Muslims who live here, had assumed I was just a tourist passing through!  We are now best friends!

May Allah bring a fine community of Muslimahs into your life!

Peace, ummziba.

Sticks and stones may break my bones, but your words...they break my soul ~
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic