IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Attacked in my sleep- Terrified.  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAttacked in my sleep- Terrified.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 10>
Author
Senior  Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2006 at 2:03am

Here are some information on sleep paralysis. Some of the things here I have experienced and it is the same of those here who are talking about it, without the name.

Dreams & Nightmares: http://www.dreamsnightmares.com/sleepparalysis.html

quote]Sleep Paralysis

Sleep paralysis is now being studied as an explanation for terrors in the night, which have been experienced by people across all cultures and for thousands of years. If one is looking for a purely physical and scientific explanation for these terrible nightmares, this one works quite well. For some it will offer relief but for others, doubt.

Sleep paralysis is a condition in which someone, most often lying in a supine (face up) position, about to drop off to sleep, or just upon awaking from sleep realizes that s/he is unable to move, or speak, or cry out. This may last a few seconds or several moments, occasionally longer. People frequently report feeling a 'presence' that is often described as malevolent, threatening, or evil. An intense sense of dread and terror is very common. The presence is likely to be vaguely felt or sensed just out of sight but thought to be watching or monitoring, often with intense interest, sometimes standing by, or sitting on the bed. On some occasions, the presence may attack, strangling and exerting crushing pressure on the chest.

There are a number of historical and urban cultural myths, which can be, somewhat, explained by this experience. The Incubus, which appears in ancient literature, is one such example. In the book Incubus by Kiessling, It was described as half man half beast, attacking in the night. The word night "mare" has been derived from the word incubus. In Greek it was ephialtes, in Latin incubus, in German mar/mare, in Old English maire, Old Norse mara, Old Irish mar/mor, and all mean "one who leaps on, oppresses or crushes."

The demon of the night has also been called 'The Old Hag' a description and myth coming out of several cultures. The Old Hag was described in Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet.

The Old Hag attack is most closely associated with extreme pressure on the chest while sleeping on your back. People may also feel like they are being choked or even bitten. In his research, Al Cheyne of the University of Waterloo has discovered that between 25 and 30 per cent of the population reports that they have experienced at least a mild form of sleep paralysis at least once. It most often has an adolescent onset but can begin at any age.

Cheyne believes sleep paralysis to be an hallucination created by physical things occurring in the body as a result of a dysfunction or malfunction of the normal R.E.M. state of sleep. This malfunction may be brought on by life stressors or sleep deprivation. Cheyne has also discovered a much higher incidence of sleep paralysis for those who sleep on their back. He has found that changing sleep position can reduce the incidence of these nightmares. He also suggests getting up and physically moving around after having an episode as several can occur in one night.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleep_paralysis

http://watarts.uwaterloo.ca/~acheyne/S_P.html

~ Our feet are earthbound, but our hearts and our minds have wings ~
BlueSun View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2006 at 2:10am

OK, if you consider this to be sleep paralyses, then so be it.

However, these we believe to be symptoms of some other underlying cause, which you believe as being where the "mind is awake and the body is asleep"

Not only is that impossible, as all possible states of consciousness are controlled by the brain, so if they mind is awake then so is the body. I've had instances where I rolling around, eyes wide open fighting off something, this is not sleep paralyses !

Sleep paralyses is the attempted scientific explanation given to this phenomenon, it lacks in proof and even theory. What you have read is the scientific opinion, and of course religion is not based on science. Science on the other the study to unravel the marvels of gods creation, even then most of what science is purely theoretical. It is not proven to this day whether an Atom exists or not !!  

And Allah knows best !

Khalid ibn Waleed - The Sword of Allah - Greatest General of all time !!!
BlueSun View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2006 at 2:23am

It amazes me how we are so inclined to believe an article in a journal, yet reject the word of Allah (swt).

I don't see the point you are making, the only thing the above text is doing is examining the symptoms of "Sleep Paralyses". What is the cause, the changes of chemicals in our brain, again this is a symptom and not the cause, the weight on a persons chest or strangling, again a symptom not the cause.

I guess firstly you have to believe in god to have some understanding of Jinn�s or demons. If you believe in scientology then there is no basis of such belief, as it would contradict the foundations on which science is based. (but this is not a discussion on the existence of god, so we will not tread this path)

3_sets_of_twins View Drop Down
Starter
Starter

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2006 at 2:45am

Dear Sister,

Thank you very much for the interesting info about sleep pyralisis. I do however agree with Bluesun as science has tried to make up several 'logical sounding' solutions to religious issues. I understand that you are not a muslima so this might be hard for you to comprehend, but again thank you so much for even taking the time to post and even pasting that article. It shows you care.

Blue thank you so much for the translated aya! I have printed it out and will keep it by my bed at night. It is terrifying to go through and alhumdullilah it has been quite a while now, maybe a 3months, ( Id get it as often as twice a month) since I have experienced it.

But can anyone answer my questions about Why this Jinn will choose one person and not another? Or why it does this period? Is it just mean?

Salam alikom

ak_m_f View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2006 at 4:24am
Originally posted by BlueSun BlueSun wrote:

<SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; COLOR: black; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana">It amazes me how we are so inclined to believe an article in a journal, yet reject the word of Allah (swt).<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p></SPAN>

<SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; COLOR: black; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana">I don't see the point you are making, the only thing the above text is doing is examining the symptoms of "Sleep Paralyses". What is the cause, the changes of chemicals in our brain, again this is a symptom and not the cause, the weight on a persons chest or strangling, again a symptom not the cause.<o:p></o:p></SPAN>

<SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; COLOR: black; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana">I guess firstly you have to believe in god to have some understanding of�Jinn�s or demons. If you believe in scientology then there is no basis of such belief, as it would contradict the foundations on which science is based. (but this is not a discussion on the existence of god, so we will not tread this path)<o:p></o:p></SPAN>

show me the ayat in quran where it says that jin will come and sit on you?

Edited by ak_m_f
salman_s View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2006 at 4:38am
Originally posted by 3_sets_of_twins 3_sets_of_twins wrote:

Salam alaikom all.

Let me get to the point. I am 27. Ever since I was about 18 I have been having...well, nightmares?

When I sleep...I often wake up to the feeling of someone, or, something, squeezing me. Or, sitting on me, or hugging me real hard? People ask me if I was dreaming, IT IS NOT A DREAM.

It once got to the point where I could not sleep without my husband in fear it would happen. When this does happen, it usually wakes me up and I'm so terrified the only way I can "make it stop" is reciting quran over and over till it eases up and lets go. It wont even let me reach for my husband in attempt to wake him up and help me.

Fellow muslims, Have any of you heard of this, or gone through it?

Why does it only come to me, and not my husband, he's right next to me? (may it never happen to him inshallah)

What is this???? a jinni????? shaitan??? It is not a dream I wake up during it.

I've started reciting quran before going to sleep, and my husband reads quran on me. Hamdulillah I am happy to say it has been quite a while since I last experieced it. All I am seeking ar answers to what this thing is? I hate it. I wish it would leave me alone forever inshallah.

Thank you for taking the time to read this and Allah bless you all Inshallah.

masha Allah it is good that you have started to recite the Qur'an in the night before sleeping.

when you are going to sleep, recite surah fatiha, ayatul kursi, the  four Qul of the Qur'an and recite as much of the Qur'an you know. insha Allah you will be at ease and your problem will disappear. pray to Allah as he is the Only Wali (Protector). 

ak_m_f View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2006 at 5:20am
You need an "exorcist"
I command you in the name of jesus !

Edited by ak_m_f
BlueSun View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2006 at 5:25am
Originally posted by ak_m_f ak_m_f wrote:

Originally posted by BlueSun BlueSun wrote:

<SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; COLOR: black; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana">It amazes me how we are so inclined to believe an article in a journal, yet reject the word of Allah (swt).<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p></SPAN>

<SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; COLOR: black; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana">I don't see the point you are making, the only thing the above text is doing is examining the symptoms of "Sleep Paralyses". What is the cause, the changes of chemicals in our brain, again this is a symptom and not the cause, the weight on a persons chest or strangling, again a symptom not the cause.<o:p></o:p></SPAN>

<SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; COLOR: black; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana">I guess firstly you have to believe in god to have some understanding of Jinn�s or demons. If you believe in scientology then there is no basis of such belief, as it would contradict the foundations on which science is based. (but this is not a discussion on the existence of god, so we will not tread this path)<o:p></o:p></SPAN>

show me the ayat in quran where it says that jin will come and sit on you?

Firstly I never mentioned anything of the sort (that in the Qur'an it is written Jinn will come and sit on you, Nauthubillah !!), secondly my knowledge on what is in the Qur'an is like a drop in the ocean. Instead why don't you prove to me that sleep paralysis does exists, and that Jinn don't, as I know for sure that there is mention of good and bad Jinn in the Qur'an.

And Allah knows best !!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 10>
  Share Topic