IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Attacked in my sleep- Terrified.  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAttacked in my sleep- Terrified.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 10>
Author
Starter
Starter

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Attacked in my sleep- Terrified.
    Posted: 30 May 2006 at 12:28am

Salam alaikom all.

Let me get to the point. I am 27. Ever since I was about 18 I have been having...well, nightmares?

When I sleep...I often wake up to the feeling of someone, or, something, squeezing me. Or, sitting on me, or hugging me real hard? People ask me if I was dreaming, IT IS NOT A DREAM.

It once got to the point where I could not sleep without my husband in fear it would happen. When this does happen, it usually wakes me up and I'm so terrified the only way I can "make it stop" is reciting quran over and over till it eases up and lets go. It wont even let me reach for my husband in attempt to wake him up and help me.

Fellow muslims, Have any of you heard of this, or gone through it?

Why does it only come to me, and not my husband, he's right next to me? (may it never happen to him inshallah)

What is this???? a jinni????? shaitan??? It is not a dream I wake up during it.

I've started reciting quran before going to sleep, and my husband reads quran on me. Hamdulillah I am happy to say it has been quite a while since I last experieced it. All I am seeking ar answers to what this thing is? I hate it. I wish it would leave me alone forever inshallah.

Thank you for taking the time to read this and Allah bless you all Inshallah.

Abeer23 View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2006 at 1:04am

Wa alaikum as salam,

From your description sister I would say it's probably a jinn.  You've done the right thing.  Keep reading and having the Quran read for you.  Yahfadhik allah.

Salaam

Angel View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2006 at 1:08am
Originally posted by 3_sets_of_twins 3_sets_of_twins wrote:

Fellow muslims, Have any of you heard of this, or gone through it?

I'm not muslim, but I know what you speak of, I've had similar or same experience. Until I learnt what is was, it stopped. It is sleep paralyzes

And it doesn't happen to everyone which explains why your husband doesn't go thru it.

I have felt that there is pressure on me and I cannot move except the eyes and the only way for me to get moving is by shaking my head a little and then the rest of the body follows.

It is just that the body is still asleep but the mind is awake

Yes I was afraid somewhat because i didn't know what was happening and it did feel like someone really putting pressure on me as if crushing me. But then I was watching something about sleep and that proped up about sleep paralyzes so I proped up my ears and then it pretty much went away and I haven't had an episode since.

Have a look into sleep paralyzes.

Edited by Angel
~ Our feet are earthbound, but our hearts and our minds have wings ~
3_sets_of_twins View Drop Down
Starter
Starter

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2006 at 1:15am

Thank you very much sisters for your appreciated replies. However I dont believe it, in my case anyway to be paralysis, since you stated you can prop your head when it happens, I cant move my body at all when it happens. I cant even call my husbands name. And it is usually accompanied by some jinn oriented nightmare. My husband told me that there is a jinn with a particular name who does this to people as they sleep ( Islamic belief anyway). I only wonder why he chooses some and not others. Alhumdulillah like I said before it has been a while since it has happened.

Any more opinions or suggestions are highly welcome and appriciated! Allah bless us all Inshallah, Salam alikom.

BlueSun View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2006 at 1:43am

Salaam Sister,

I experienced the same problem a number of years ago, and used to have similar episodes once every few months until about a year ago. My wife luckily was besides me to help, simply by shaking and calling me seems to wear out the affect of being strangled or weighted down.

I now ensure I read Ayat'ul Kursi (Second Surah x 3 and blow over right and left shoulders and over chest, I also read Surat Naas Chapter 114 Holy Qur'an. Ever since I have started the above, I now have meaningful dreams, the likes of which can be interpreted to mean / convey a message like I used when I was a boy and teens. I must also point out that It has been practicing Islam for over 2 years.

Surat al-Nas

In the name of Allah, the Compassionate, the Merciful.

"Say: I seek refuge with the Lord and Cherisher of Mankind

The King (or Ruler) of Mankind

The god (or judge) of Mankind

From the mischief of the Whisperer (of Evil), who withdraws (after his whisper),

(The same) who whispers into the hearts of Mankind

Among Jinns and among men "

Ayat al-Kursi

In the name of Allah, the Compassionate, the Merciful.

"Allah! There is no god but He - the Living, The Self-subsisting, Eternal. No slumber can seize Him Nor Sleep. His are all things in the Heavens and on the earth. Who is there can intercede in His presence except as he permitteth? He knoweth what (appeareth to His creatures as) before or after or behind them. Nor shall they compass aught of his knowledge except as he willeth. His throne doth extend Over the heavens and on earth, and he feelth no fatigue in guarding and preserving them, for he is the most high. The Supreme (in glory)"

(Surat al-Baqarah 2: 255)

Insha-Allah you will not encounter this problem again

Khalid ibn Waleed - The Sword of Allah - Greatest General of all time !!!
BlueSun View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2006 at 1:52am

Salaam again !

I would also like to point out the fact that my dreams were usually a frightening nightmare, in which I could see clearly see the evilness.

This is not sleep paralyses !

**Correction � I have been a practicing Muslim for over 2 years now.

Khalid ibn Waleed - The Sword of Allah - Greatest General of all time !!!
Angel View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2006 at 1:52am
Originally posted by 3_sets_of_twins 3_sets_of_twins wrote:

Thank you very much sisters for your appreciated replies. However I dont believe it, in my case anyway to be paralysis, since you stated you can prop your head when it happens,

No i didn't say i could prop my head, I could only move my head side to side, and at that very hard to begin with, I too could not at first upon awaking move at all, nor speak It was very hard to move my head at all, But what little I could do afterwards, was enough to gradually get my body awake and then move and be free. 

Not everyone is the same.

What you speak of is the same things of sleep paralysis.

Angel View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2006 at 1:56am
Originally posted by BlueSun BlueSun wrote:

My wife luckily was besides me to help, simply by shaking and calling me seems to wear out the affect of being strangled or weighted down.

That is sleep paralysis.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 10>
  Share Topic