IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Culture & Community > Groups : Men (Brothers)
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Question for muslim brothers  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Question for muslim brothers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>
Author
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mishmish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2006 at 11:26pm

"These American and modern women only think about herself most of the time...is that the type of person you want?"

Well, as an American woman I would answer this, but I'm too busy thinking about myself....

It is only with the heart that one can see clearly, what is essential is invisible to the eye. (The Little Prince)
Abeer23 View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abeer23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2006 at 1:12am

Originally posted by foody foody wrote:

Abeer23,

That is right Abeer23, but if I am married to a woman who is "working  bee" love of work and this world more than the love of family and the after life, then I seriously have made the worst choice ever. Which goes back to Israfil frustration. Look for the right mate for you, if you find situation arises where you live in a country where it forces both men and women to work and barely surviving then perhaps you should avoid marrying all together, save up enough money and move somewhere else where "working bees" are not more important than marriage, family, and religion.

Foody, this is actually very good advice.  It comes straight out of the Quran as a matter of fact.  Yqoolu ta'la:

24:33 "And as for those who are unable to marry ( I.e., because of poverty or because they cannot find a suitable mate, or for any other personal reason),   let them live in continence until God grants them sufficiency out of His bounty....."

Sadaqa allahu al-adheem

Edited by Abeer23
amah View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2006 at 5:02am
Originally posted by Abeer23 Abeer23 wrote:

24:33 "And as for those who are unable to marry ( I.e., because of poverty or because they cannot find a suitable mate, or for any other personal reason),   let them live in continence until God grants them sufficiency out of His bounty....."

Sadaqa allahu al-adheem

Jazakallahkhairan, I was looking for this!!!

Allah is Sufficient as a Walee (Protector) and Allah is Sufficient as a Naseer (Helper).
(Surah An-Nisa, Chapter #4, Verse #45)
herjihad View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herjihad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2006 at 9:37am
Originally posted by Israfil Israfil wrote:

then perhaps it is me that is not a good muslim.....Also I love how when someone associates my comment as if I'm specifically commenting on Qur'an when I was referring to the "rhetoric" here made by members. I'm sorry if I'm realistic. Perhaps the problem with our society today is that we tend to become too much like literalist when it comes to doctrine and rather sympathetic to each other's situations.

In commenting on MM comments:

Even if Texas is one of the highest (which I highly doubt in comparison to California) the fact that there is no property tax of course your local government would have to suppliment that loss by taxing you elsewhere. One of the things why I would never explain God's existence or proseltyze to other about Qur'an is because we truly cannnot comprehend the spiritual implication of the words even if they are plain and clear. The Qur'an is composed of metaphors, allegores and literal meanings thus when we comment on certain verses in the Qur'an make careful consideration of the words "All-knowing" and "All merciful"

With that said...Even if it is an order by God I'm sure god is also knowing of each every prson situation. Just because I feel that a woman should work makes it no less reasonable and against God then someone who holds the belief that a woman should not work. My main position (which according to foody's statements seem to misunderstand totally) here is that where I live, which is Southern California, if a man doesn't have a good job to suppliment his expenses he can suffer economically. In Los Angeles to generate a decent living both parties have to make a combine $100,000.

I don't live in Los Angeles (Although I work there) this is quite true. Everyone's situation is different and the thing we tend to miss as a Muslim community is empathy for each and every persons situation. With respect to that I find your comment foody, bad advice. According to your statement I should move from this country because it will cause me to look in your words " a working bee." Brother, if there could be no wrong advice. Rather, we should understand that God with his wisdom has understanding of this. This is not some sin. This is not like me locking my woman in a closet everytime she goes outside. Or like Saudi Arabia where women cannot drive or Afghanistan where I take a Klashikov rifle to a woman's head.

There are many Muslim women here that work and come from countries where so-called "puritanical Islam" exist. My first priority is myself number one. In order for me to offer something to a woman I'd first have to stabilize myself, but I also think a woman should understand her surroundings and understand that a man cannot do everything. I do not like dependent women like that. To me dependent women in the sense of the expectation that a man should do everything economically in my opinion is weakness. As I was raised by a woman a woman should never have to depend on a man economically.

A woman should be educated and prepare for if the situation occurs she is able to work and provide for herself. In my duty it's common sense. I'm a cop, I can get killed or incapcitated. What happens if my wife has no degree or no proper skills? She will suffer. What about my kids? Oh is my wife gonna take loans out to make ends meet? Instead of the women making comments here about how bad my thinking is be realistic. Not every man does non-hazardous jobs and I think how some of your statements are unfair and unrealistic to my situation.

I find another obligation of muslims is to be sympathetic and empathetic to each others situations but we should never suggest something to someone if it goes against their personal interest such as moving away from this country especially after I established myself in a career. Again I love independent and interdependent women but I find that in 2006 this year depending on your situation women should contribute whether partially or fully.

Bismillah,

Let me try to be clear:  As foody wrote after you posted this:  Many women work, selling things in a store, making things, et cetera.  The non-American Muslim world is filled with working women and families of professionals who would not consider allowing their daughters to stay at home.  I have met them!

Brother, you are NOT alone in your outlook.  I see nothing wrong with your point of view.  I also see that you and foody agree!  Because you said earlier that, of course, if she is sick or needs to stay with your child that you wouldn't expect her to work. 

Sister Moona, take from our real-life situations and draw your own conclusions about what is best for you in your situation. May Allah, SWT, guide you to a peaceful, joyful marriage.

Peace

Al-Hamdulillah (From a Married Muslimah) La Howla Wa La Quwata Illa BiLLah - There is no Effort or Power except with Allah's Will.
Knowledge01 View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Knowledge01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2006 at 4:11pm

Originally posted by Moona Moona wrote:

Do you believe it is the husbands duty for the financial support of his wife and children? Or do you believe the wife should contribute financially as well if she can? And if the wife makes more money than the husband? Isnt her income considered to be her money? Thank you for your response.Moona

As Salam Alaikum,

According to hadith and Al- Qur'an, it is the man's responsibility to provide whatever his family needs.  The woman may work if she desires and may provide herself and her family with whatever she wants but she can also keep the money for only herself if she desires.  But even if the woman is working and receiving more money than her husband, it is still the husband's responsibility to provide for his wife and family.

rk06 View Drop Down
Starter
Starter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rk06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 August 2006 at 1:11pm

Asalamu Alicum,

I know this is a very late reply,but I felt that I should contribute to this dicussion what I know.

I myself am a practicing women and like much of the comments made here on this topic of women and their earnings,I also always had the view that it is the duty of the men to provide for their wives and WHEN I earned,I would do what I want with ALL of my money.However,I have now changed my view.

It is true that the womens money is hers only and she does not have the responsibilty to provide for anyone and there is no sin upon her if she does not spend it for her family-even if they are in need.However,a very good and american learned scholar (Mash-Allah),from Zaituna institue in America pointed out that we must remember that what ever we have in life is from Allah.It is a risq from Allah.it is only he who decides who gets how muchand how they recieve it.And in a household,that could be either through the men or the women-that is risq itself.And he also reminded that after the Prophet (SAW) started to recieve the revelations,it was lady Khadija (RAA),his wife who provided.

I think much of the times we take islamic principles and rules and forget that it needs to be applied with wisdom.And especially when it comes to marriage,one should always remember to be loving and mercyful to each other  as marriage is something very very great in islam.

Allah Knows Best.

rk

Knowledge01 View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Knowledge01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 August 2006 at 6:33am

<FONT face="Courier New, Courier, mono" color=#9933cc size=4>Do you believe it is the husbands duty for the financial support of his wife and children? Or do you believe the wife should contribute financially as well if she can? And if the wife makes more money than the husband? Isnt her income considered to be her money? Thank you for your response.Moona

What does Al Qur'an say? It is very clear.
B.H. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B.H. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 August 2006 at 3:52pm

Originally posted by Knowledge01 Knowledge01 wrote:

<FONT face="Courier New, Courier, mono" color=#9933cc size=4>Do you believe it is the husbands duty for the financial support of his wife and children? Or do you believe the wife should contribute financially as well if she can? And if the wife makes more money than the husband? Isnt her income considered to be her money? Thank you for your response.Moona

What does Al Qur'an say? It is very clear.

Should married men be given priority when it comes to hiring for jobs and promotions  so as to make sure they get jobs they could support a family with?

Edited by B.H.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>
  Share Topic