IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Islam for non-Muslims
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Islams beliefs concerning Christianity  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Islams beliefs concerning Christianity

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
rbaitz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rbaitz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2005 at 7:49pm

Is there any 1st or 2nd Century manuscripts that support Islam's claim that Jesus never died on a cross, which would also invalidate His claim of resurrection?

One would think that one of the Jews who denied Jesus as the Messiah would have written strongly concerning the lie of the apostles that Jesus rose from the dead because he was never crucified (supposedly). Or even the Romans would have written something saying Jesus was never crucified to quiet the Christians and the spread of Christianity in Rome since it was outlawed and Christians persecuted.

However nothing has ever been written. The best the Jews who rejected their Messiah did do was to say that the apostles stole the body of Jesus. That was their sole argument! Rome and the Jews who rejected Christ had no valid argument against what the apostles eventually suffered and died for, which was their belief that Jesus was the Son of God who did really die on a cross for the sins of the world, and really did rise from the dead proving that He was truly the Son of God who offers salvation as a free gift to all who would believe in Him.

Robin

Edited by rbaitz
rbaitz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rbaitz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2005 at 4:06pm
there is such as thing as absolute truth. So there cannot be contradictory religions also true. Good books include "The Case For Christ" by Lee Strobel and "The Resurrection" by Hank Haanagraff

Edited by rbaitz
Laurie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Laurie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 April 2005 at 2:46am

Thank you most sincerely Ahmad Joyia for your timely & succinct reply.  As I said in an earlier reply I am now going back to do some months of research into the Islamic faith vide the Quran & recorded history.  The above are my feelings at this time however they lack any substantial knowledge of the topic.  Therefore back to the books and see if I can make a fair dinkum assessment of it all and then I may be able to appreciate, more knowingly, the passion and fervour devout Muslims display about their faith.

Perhaps all I know at this time is that there is only ONE GOD but many paths.

AhmadJoyia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AhmadJoyia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2005 at 3:17pm

Laurie,

I didn't notice any of your questions on this thread before. Do you have question that are concerning the topic under discussion or you have responded in generality of this whole forum? After going through your response here as well as on some other thread, I think you are more concerned about how Mohammad or Jesus are to be believed in as to what they said. If this is true, then this is a new topic and needs new thread. I think its not appropriate to divert from the topic of this thread to another direction. However, just to reply for your response on this thread; I would say something from my own understanding of relegions and leave its decision to anyone who does not agree to it. I beleive that all relegions, at some point, have some uncertainty attached to their doctrines. Since God is infinite, it is this uncertainity that the religions call it a matter of faith, as no logic works to define or understand infinity. It would be naive (I am assuming that one believes in the presence of God and not of an aeithest belief) to expect God to show the answers to the test while the humans on this earth are still under the test. This is the basis on which, I think, whole circle of faith and logic revoleves around. The degree of uncertainity varies from religion to religion. In Islam, this uncertainity or as we call it a matter of faith has two distinctive features. Other than that, Islam is a religion which asks human beings to recognise God through wisdom and logic. These two are 1). Belief that there is a God. 2). Beleif that Prophet Mohammad is his last messanger. Other than this, everything that exist in nature has a logic attached to its existance and can be understood through human mind and logic. To test how the second point of faith is quite close to logical understanding or nature is through circumstantial evidence and not through direct one. The honesty of Prophet Mohammad was known to his people long before he claimed Prophethood. So it was often difficult for the people of his town to dissmiss him altogether merely on the basis of telling lies. Its not that they didn't use any such slandering, but from their hearts of hearts they knew they are not correct. Again it is from the pagan history that once a delegation of pagan arab went to neighbouring countries to make propaganda against the new relegion (Islam), they couldn't escape the reality but to accept that they didn't find Mohammad ever telling a lie even in his jokes. Second foremost convincing reason that I found to believe in him is the book (Quran) that he said is the actual spoken word of God and not from himself. He doesn't claim to be its author. Of course since he was the messanger of God, therefore God's message would come through His messanger as it used to come to other prophets before Mohammad. The sgnificance of this book is so great that we are left with no other reason but to admit that he indeed was the real messanger of God. In that we find that the book claims its authenticity to be the same (ditto) as it was revealed to Prophet Mohammad 14 to 15 centuries ago (of course in the language of messanger of God i.e. Arabic). There is no book (in history or in any other relegion) that we know to exist on this earth except Quran with such a remarkable quality. The book itself is not easy to understand especially for an uninformed reader, however, for those who have the patience to find the truth, soon find it to be the most logical book to preach faith. The order or composition of the book is not like an ordinary book of history, but its purpose is to guide humans to the right path. Various examples are presented in it to recognise God through wisdom, and logical arguments. This unique feature is non-existent in any other book of faith. There are many other properties of this book but I shall leave it for some other time and conclude that it is because of extremely small uncertainity as compared with other relegions that attracted me to Islam and I found it well upto its claims. Rest it is upto an individual how he/she looks at these merits of Islam. Or he/she may not even count them any merits, that is upto them. Rest Allah knows the best. May Allah guide us all to the ultimate truth. Amen.

IslamicGirl View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IslamicGirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2005 at 7:54am

rbaitz posted: I have several questions concerning this topic and hope someone can be helpful in answering them based on what Islam teaches and not personal belief if it differs then that of historical Islam.

1. Why do some Muslims believe the Bible is not the word of God and it has become corrupt? Does it mention this in the Quran or Hadith or elsewhere and that is how they came to that conclusion?

Salams (Peace)- 

I will try to explain clearly an example answering your question (I have bolded ur question as above).

Answer: 

The following is according to the BIBLE>>>
Question:  "Is Jesus God?  Did Jesus ever claim to be God?"

Answer:  *  Jesus is never recorded in the Bible as saying the exact words, �I am God. That does not mean He did not proclaim that He is God. Take for example Jesus� words in John 10:30, �I and the Father are one.� At first glance, this might not seem to be a claim to be God. However, look at the Jews� reaction to His statement, �We are not stoning you for any of these, replied the Jews, but for blasphemy, because you, a mere man, claim to be God� (John 10:33). The Jews understood Jesus� statement to be a claim to be God. In the following verses Jesus never corrects the Jews by saying, �I did not claim to be God.� That indicates Jesus was truly saying He was God by declaring, * �I and the Father are one� (John 10:30). John 8:58 is another example. Jesus declared, I tell you the truth, Jesus answered, before Abraham was born, I am!�  Again, in response, the Jews take up stones in an attempt to stone Jesus (John 8:59). Why would the Jews want to stone Jesus if He hadn�t said something they believed to be blasphemous, namely, a claim to be God?   (Source: http://www.gotquestions.org/is-Jesus-God.html)

*  Supporting my (IslamicGirl's) post which was 

Posted: 16 April 2005 at 6:45am on this forum

Supporting my reasoning that the Bible has been distorted by man, therefore the Bible contradicts itself. 

Look for example:

This is clearly in the bible:
I and the Father are one� (John 10:30) source:http://www.gotquestions.org/is-Jesus-God.html AND the 2nd commandment starts off by stating
(2) �You shall not make for yourself an idol in the form of anything in heaven above or on the earth beneath or in the waters below.  (Source:  http://www.gotquestions.org/Ten-Commandments.html)

*Islamic Girl*
rbaitz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rbaitz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2005 at 4:28am

Laurie,

Men and women are equally important in God's eyes. The Bible does show the way women were treated back then but this is not the way God wanted it. There are historical events, practices and so forth that took place, but this doesn't mean it was God's order of things. For example the people of Israel worshipped Baal (a false idol) but God had judged them for idolatry. In the New Testament the adulteress woman was found and brought before Jesus so He would judge her, however he showed compassion on her. But where was the man? He was never mentioned.

Men and women are equally important in the eyes of God, yet each have different roles in the context of marriage and within the Church. This is not to say anyone is better than anyone else, however the wife/woman is esteemed in her role as a woman and the man in his. God has made us different, not just physically, but mentally also. I know I couldn't withstand the pain of child bearing, I can't handle many things my wife can because she was made differently. Also as a husband I am supposed to love my wife as Jesus loved the Church, which is to say, I am supposed to be willing to lay my life down for her, serve her, cherish her, comfort her, Love her, which is more then words. Love is an action word that takes action on my part. Love involved self sacrifice because marriage isn't just about me.

This is what the Christian marriage is all about. The marriage is a picture of the relationship we can have with God. That's why the Bible calls the Church (i.e. believers) the bride and Jesus Christ the bride-groom. The awesome relationship we can have with God comes through the self sacrifice of the bride-groom which was demonstrated at Jesus' death on the cross to pay our fine of sins so we can enter into a loving relationship with God by faith.

Jesus didn't treat women the same way as the culture did back then. Just look at Mary Magdallene she was accepted by Jesus upon her repentance for her sins of harlotry. Later she is the first one to find the empty tomb of Jesus as we can read from the Bible. Now as we know a woman's word in that century didn't hold much water, unfortunatly. However here she is first seeing the empty tomb, then Jesus appearing to her and telling her to go tell His disciples that He had risen. God used Mary as His important messenger. Now if the Bible was written by men who wanted to write lies portraying them as true, then they would not have written concerning what Mary had found, saw and heard.

Robin

Laurie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Laurie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2005 at 11:47pm

Having read all the above about the Bible & the Quran it all boils down to whether you believe (or had it drummed into you from birth) that Jesus did have direct contact with God/Allah and Muhammad did in fact speak with Archangel Gabriel.  The times that both appeared on earth were times when most of the earth were simple living and superstitious people.  Someone out of the ordinary was either persecuted or praised.  What has happened since has just been perpetuated by a male dominated authoritarian power based culture.  There is nothing in the Bible or Quran that cannot be found in daily self examination and reexamination through prayer with God.  Churches and Mosques are man made to control the blindly faithful masses.  Have a look at both Religions, Christianity & Islam and who has the whip hand all the time, yes, the male.  God made us all equal and all with free will to be home makers, world/community leaders and Priests and Imams regardless of gender.  I am solving my problems with all matters both divine & worldly.  First I emptied my head of everything I was told was true and what we had to do and say to survive in both aspects.  I then spent the past four years putting back in my head, through research and study (like these forums), what I believe to be the truth and not just because someone told me so.  The Bible & Quran are only meant to be guides to a honest and moral life of service to our fellow man.  They were never meant to be enshrined in Mosques and Churches with dogma and blind faith. The fire & brimstone (hell & satan) are metaphors for our own dark side and this can be addressed within your own dialogue with God and the Angels.  Look Muhammad and Jesus were exceptional men of their time but I am sure they would be mortified to see how each Religion has come down to the idoltary of shrines in the form of Mosques and Churches.  I entered the Islamic forum to seek perhaps a new Religion of eqality of gender and free will of worship.  I see now that I may have to leave this forum and research and study more of the Quran and Hadiths before I convince myself that Archangel did carry this message to Muhammad or whether he was just a divinely inspired genius way ahead of his time.  Thank you all for putting up with me and I will rejoin in a couple of months.

God bless you all in your Divine journey here on earth and I do most earnestly thank you all for your input and sincerity towards me and my questions. 

AhmadJoyia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AhmadJoyia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 April 2005 at 8:46pm

Well Bro Rbaitz,

Thanks for quoting Quran for me, at least on one particular matter. I pray and shall hope that not only in this matter, you may consult it and get guidance in all other matters as well from the Quran. You have indeed done a great service to me to provide these references from Quran. 

There are many ways to reply to your question. Foremost is that your implied understanding of word "word of God" in verses 6:34, 6:115, and 10:64 is not correct. Here this means the "decree" of Allah and not the "Mushaf" or "the book". There are many instances where God has warned the people of the book for corrupting the book of Allah with their own hands just for petty exchange.

"It was We who revealed the law (to Moses): therein was guidance and light. By its standard have been judged the Jews, by the prophets who bowed (as in Islam) to Allah's will, by the rabbis and the doctors of law: for to them was entrusted the protection of Allah's book, and they were witnesses thereto: therefore fear not men, but fear me, and sell not my signs for a miserable price. If any do fail to judge by (the light of) what Allah hath revealed, they are (no better than) Unbelievers. " Quran 5:44.

Kindly note the highlighted and the underlined part of the verse which clearly states that Allah's book was an entrusted job for the people of the book. It was upon them not to sell Allah's signs for miserable price. So your argument, even from the Quran doesn't stand valid. Though there are many other instances in the Quran as well, but due to shortage of time, I am concluding my remarks here with your last argument about the existance of old scriptures at the time of Quran's revelation. True, there were, and they might even exist today. However, with the warning of its corruption by the scribes in Quran, we also know that they have been so obliterated with other stories around them that its really difficult to discern truth out of them, especially once my Christian brothers are bent upon following the conjectures and doing away what is known to them as fact. Kindly let me know if you have heard anything about the "Q, the lost gospel". It may hint as to what happened to the teachings of Prophet Jesus.

Another aspect to look at this issue is that since we know that original language of Quran is Arabic so any translational difficulties can readily be understood by referring back to the original language i.e. Arabic. In the same way Bible (NT) may also be needed to look back in original Aramic version, the language of Prophet Jesus, and not in any other language. Do you have this Bible known in Aramic any where in the world. Probably not; the most oldest known is in Greek language simply because their authors were not among the 12 diciples of Jesus what to talk of Jesus himself. Quran says to the people of the book to stick to His "revealed" book if they want guidance, and not just any other  book by anonymous authors. God's revelations are such that people of faith live by them for their whole life. Can we say such a thing about these gospels whose basic characteristic is "anonymous authorship" and then interpreting them through the monocule of St. Paul and later day saints.  I hope that you would continue to follow Quran, not only for this matter but others as well especially once it calls the people of the book to come to terms and don't associate anyone with Him and He shall forgive them. I think this is a fair proposition, especially in the light of the fact that afterall, Jesus also used to pray to some one. So let us pray together to the God of Jesus to help us guide in the right direction. Amen.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
  Share Topic