IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Culture & Community > Groups : Women (Sisters)
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Does Islam allow Surrogate mothers?  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Does Islam allow Surrogate mothers?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 12>
Author
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MangoSwirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2006 at 8:58pm

Asalaamu Alaikum,

Sisters, I feel there is a very serious assumption being made here. 

Not every woman/man will be a parent.  Having children is a test, and everybody is tested differently; i.e. financial status, health, children, etc. 

Not everyone will taste every type of trial.  Some people will have no troubles having children, yet be faced with serious financial issues throughout their lives  While others may struggle to conceive, and be financially free throughout their lives.

Having children is not a right, per se, as much as it is a trial, and with it comes the good and the bad.  Accordingly, it is not a punishment to be w/o children, as this is a trial as well. 

It's when people feel they deserve or demand something, that their clarity of mind and thought become disturbed.  As a result, their faith could be compromised, and they could accept things which aren't clearly acceptable in Islam.

A person is free to want children, as she is free to want financial freedom, and proper health - yet not everyone will get what they want.  There comes a point where we need to accept Allah's decree, and realize that there could be much goodness in it.

wasalaamu alaikum

TMMJ View Drop Down
Starter
Starter
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TMMJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2006 at 2:10pm

Alsalam Alykum

Islam has encouraged Muslim families to have babies, as many as they could. The prophet SAW has encouraged his Ummah to multiply (Breed so that I may be proud of you among all the other nations).  The issue of assisted reproductive technology (ART) in Islam has been studied by Islamic Figh Councils. Regarding surrogate mothers, this was considered legal in 1984 in Saudia Arabia, only to be banned a year later (1985). 

Shi'ites who are strict in their interpretation of a third-party donation and surrogacy in IVF believe the couple should get approval from a religious court first, and the husband needs to do a muta'a, or temporary, marriage with any egg donor / surrogate mother so the child is not born out of wedlock. However, since a married Shi'ite Muslim woman cannot marry another man sperm donation from a man other than her husband is akin to adultery. "Qoute from University of Shicago web site".

Sunni religious scholars have not condoned any kind of third party egg/gamete donation or surrogacy so far. In the mid-1980s there was an interesting discussion if egg donation between several wifes of the same husband could be admitted, since polygamy is basically allowed by the sharia and is practiced among certain social classes of some Middle Eastern countries. It was argued that in such a case the genetic material as well as the pregnancy would stay in the framework of one marriage-bond. In 1984 the Islamic Fiqh Academy of the Muslim Worldleague at Mecca issued a statement to the affirmative, but withdrew it already in 1985 and declared the practice forbidden (haram). The ulama argued that during the period of several days or weeks when the egg cell was transferred from the first to the second wife the husband would be legally allowed to have sexual intercourse with the second wife. Consequently, it might not be clear if the transplanted or the �original� oocyte would be fertilized and therefore there could be some doubts about the child�s real mother.During the discussions leading to the statement of 1985 the ulama explicitly disregarded interventions by medical doctors pointing to the virtual impossibility of such a case due to the pratical implications of the process of egg cell transfer. I would guess that the ulama believed the medical doctors but were just looking for a pretext to withdraw the earlier ruling because it would have resulted in a practice of infertile couples hiring a surrogate mother and marrying her to the husband for the period of pregnancy, only to divorce her after childbirth. This might have led to a lot of other complications and would have collided essentially with certain principles of the sharia, for example the prohibition to rent the reproductive parts of the human body.

I work in this field and I know medically there are no issues of lineage in surrogacy since the genetic parents of the child are known. Mixes in the laboratory are exceptionally rare with the kind of strict science that we use nowadays. The legal system in the U.S.A has it that the child resulting form surrogacy belongs to his/ her genetic parents. These civil rules however differ in Europe. I personally believe surrogacy is very similar to foster or adopting parents in that the �surrogate mother will take care of the child for few month, and then the child return to his mother�.  The fertilized embryo is a potential human being, no doubt in that. I do not have any Sunni scholars to back me up no, but I sure hope that our Muslim scholars will catch up with the science in order to assist Muslim families make an educated choice. God knows the best.

Originally posted by Mishmish Mishmish wrote:

Assalamu Alaikum:

The points put forth by the Sheikh and the daleel he gives are not necessarily pertinent to this topic.

Does this Sheikh believe that we should never have a pap smear or examination during pregnancy? What if we have genital cancer, or men have prostate or genital cancer? Are we only allowed to go to a doctor that is Mahrem? How would we even know if we had cancer if we are never allowed to expose our aura to anyone, including medical professionals?

If the egg is from the mother and implanted with the sperm of the father, how would that bring the baby's lineage into question? Even if there were any doubt, DNA tests could take care of that.

And it would not be the actual semen that would be put into her womb, but a fertilized egg, which is a different organism.

Even his distaste for "renting the womb" can be answered if the surrogate is your sister, family member or friend willing to do this for no money, just out of love. This would also sort of insure that she would take good prenatal care of the baby.

And saying there should be no third party in a marriage could almost be construed as then saying there should be no polygeny in Islam because there is a third, fourth, or maybe even fifth person in the marriage.

I am not saying that I agree with surrogacy, I just do not see the legitimacy of this particular reasoning.

TMMJ View Drop Down
Starter
Starter
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TMMJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2006 at 10:31pm
{Having children is not a right, per se, as much as it is a trial, and with it comes the good and the bad.  Accordingly, it is not a punishment to be w/o children, as this is a trial as well.  There comes a point where we need to accept Allah's decree, and realize that there could be much goodness in it.}

Dear Sister

Alsalam Alykum

I agree with you - we should thank Allah for evey thing ( Fertility or infertility). ZSOme people can consider infertility a blessing. However not having children is a major disadvantage ofor some women in some muslim family, especially if the wife is the culprit. Also we should not forget that it is Allah decree as well to make the best use of science to better our lives and have kids. We talk about accepting fate and remaining infertle. On the same token we should accept fate and vigourously seek fertility treatment. Nothing will ever happen without Allah's will.

It  bothers me when our scholars,(may Allah lead them to the right path) make every thing Haram without sweating. They also seem to copy from one onther without rethinking issues over. Times and times these special fatwa opinions have changed. This is true especially for issues  that the Qauran and the the Prphet SAW  did not mention. Simple example include organ donatio which was totally Haram, then only Halal form living donor, and now hala from all sources (Dead as well as living humans and even animals (Heart Valave replacement). How about assuming that surrogote mothers and is  Halal untill proven  otherwise. At the end every thing is Allah's willing and fate.

Edited by TMMJ
MayPB View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayPB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2006 at 12:14am

I think the idea of having another woman carry another couple's

child or carrying a child conceived by IVF with the husband's sperm

is unethical. Islam's numerous hadiths have already discussed

adoption, marriage, and premarital sex. From those laws we can

come up with an answer for this modern day dilema. In retrospect

this woman carrying another couple's child would be selling her gift

from God, the ability to conceive and give birth, in essence her woman

hood, and this is just not something to be sold or traded, not even

to be considered work, nine months of pregnancy. It's also not right

to IVF another man's sperm in a woman's body who is not her husband

because sex is a sacred act permissable for husbands and wives and

for the purpose of mutual satisfaction and procreation. Procreation

cannot legally takeplace between two people who are not married,

then this child does not truly belong to the husband and wife, but

is a child born out of wedlock between two parents who are not

married, and then a mother who has "adopted" the child as her own-

which is also wrong because Islam's hadiths clearly state laws

concerning adoption and how it is done. Bottom line, we just

can't have everything we want!!!

Patty View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Patty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2006 at 4:11am

I have been blessed to see the positive side of adoption.  My sister and brother-in-law were never able to conceive a child.  So after many years, they decided to adopt.  They reside in England.  One day they received a call from the social services agency in London, and a lady told them they had four little brothers and sisters who desperately needed a home.  Two boys and two girls, ages 8, 7, 6, and 5.  My sister and brother-in-law told her they couldn't possibly take four children all at once!  The "savvy" social worker suggested they just drop by and meet the children........so they did.  Needless to say, they couldn't stand the thought of leaving them parentless, so after a short period of time, they brought all four children home with them for good.  These little children had been through a horrible time.  Their mother was schizophrenic, and the father was alcoholic.  The mother had beaten and drowned their infant sister in front of them in the bathtub!!  For my sister and her husband, raising them was not always easy or enjoyable.  Several years of therapy was necessary for the children, as they suffered from terrible nightmares and fears of being abandonment.  They were severely traumatized.

Now, they are all grown.  Fully normal, happy young adults with college educations.  My sister and brother-in-law are the only Mum and Dad they remember to any degree.  This has been quite a beautiful experience for our entire family. 

I believe that God/Allah truly does work in mysterious ways...His wonders to perceive.  Sometimes we wonder "why me, God?"  But He always has a reason, even though we may not know the answer for a long time.....or sometimes never in this life.  My sister and brother-in-law had been terribly saddened by their inability to conceive a child, but they were destined for greater responsibilities--to nurture and love and raise four unfortunate little children they didn't even know existed.  I think God always has a plan for our lives, and He always knows best!  We must be open to His "calling" and answer that call when the situation arises.

Peace be with you.....

Patty

I don't know what the future holds....but I know who holds the future.
Hayfa View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hayfa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2006 at 11:21am

Wonderful story Patty.

I know a woman who adopted to boys alone. They also came from a 'rough' background. It was not always easy. But it is amazing to see selfless love happen.

For some poeple they could not do what your family did or this woman I know. But ultimately we are all one family on this earth. If we all don't help each other out who will?  

When you do things from your soul, you feel a river moving in you, a joy. Rumi
numan View Drop Down
Starter
Starter
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote numan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2006 at 12:14pm
Originally posted by Hayfa Hayfa wrote:

Wonderful story Patty.

I know a woman who adopted to boys alone. They also came from a 'rough' background. It was not always easy. But it is amazing to see selfless love happen.

For some poeple they could not do what your family did or this woman I know. But ultimately we are all one family on this earth. If we all don't help each other out who will?  

i am completely agree with sister hayfa

Angela View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angela Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2006 at 12:41pm

Originally posted by MangoSwirl MangoSwirl wrote:

Having children is a test, and everybody is tested differently; i.e. financial status, health, children, etc. 

I disagree with this bolded statement.  Children are not a test.  God's first commandment to our first parents (Adam and Eve) was that they should go forth and multiply and replenish the Earth.  Having a child is no a test, but a sacred duty and responsibility.  Children must be born to complete God's will.  It is the natural order he created.  Children are not a test, they are a blessing.  However, you can be tested in how you raise your children and the situation in which you have them.

Not everyone will taste every type of trial.  Some people will have no troubles having children, yet be faced with serious financial issues throughout their lives  While others may struggle to conceive, and be financially free throughout their lives.

Having or not having children really has very little with financial freedom, these are two completely separate tests.  I've known "poor" families blessed with children that have managed very well do to their responisbility and childless couples with good incomes struggle endlessly because they spend on things and never have responsibility.  So the children/Financial connection is more a level of maturity and responsibility of the parents.

Having children is not a right, per se, as much as it is a trial, and with it comes the good and the bad.  Accordingly, it is not a punishment to be w/o children, as this is a trial as well. 

Again, I must disagree with it.  Having children is a natural thing, not having children due to infertility is the unnatural thing.  So, NOT having children is the Trial of faith.  God set up a very simple method for souls to be given bodies, brought to Earth and tested, in doing this he blessed us with families.  However, when a woman or man is removed from this very natural and divine cycle, they are being tested.  Not the other way around.

It'S when people feel they deserve or demand something, that their clarity of mind and thought become disturbed.  As a result, their faith could be compromised, and they could accept things which aren't clearly acceptable in Islam.

I have to agree that some people get tested in their faith and obedience during adversity.  However, the same could be said of a poor man who demands wealth or a lonely person demanding companionship.  Adversity is the refiner's fire that purifies the soul if one remains faithful.

A person is free to want children, as she is free to want financial freedom, and proper health - yet not everyone will get what they want.  There comes a point where we need to accept Allah's decree, and realize that there could be much goodness in it.

Of course not everyone will get what they want, and its best to accept that you have a certain path to walk.  But, God has given us blessings in the disguise of trials.  Perhaps sometimes we are tools for the blessings to others.  If we cannot bear our own children, perhaps its because God has decreed we should care for children who were unlucky to have unrighteous parents or to have the misfortune of having their parents taken from them. There are many children who are in need of parents.  There are many parents in need of children.  God provides for all, but even the Quran encourages adoption.

2:220 on this world and on the life to come. And they will ask thee about [how to deal with] orphans. Say: "To improve their condition is best." And if you share their life, [remember that] they are your brethren: <>Asad(2,206) for God distinguishes between him who spoils things and him who improves. And had God so willed, He would indeed have imposed on you hardships which you would not have been able to bear: <>Asad(2,207) [but,] behold, God is almighty, wise!

107:1 HAST THOU ever considered [the kind of man] who gives the lie to all moral law?

107:2 Behold, it is this [kind of man] that thrusts the orphan away,

107:3 and feels no urge <>Asad(107,2) to feed the needy.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 12>
  Share Topic