IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Culture & Community > Groups : Women (Sisters)
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Does Islam allow Surrogate mothers?  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Does Islam allow Surrogate mothers?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 12>
Author
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mishmish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2006 at 1:49pm

Assalamu Alaikum:

Even if the first wife raised the child, Islamically it would be like adopting the child. You can breastfeed to make the child mahrem, but the birth mother would still be considered the real mother.

Also, there is a prohibition against marriage for any reason other than marriage.... You know what I mean!  To marry a woman just to birth a child and then divorce her, or marry a man so that you can divorce him to go back to your first husband, are prohibited.

It is only with the heart that one can see clearly, what is essential is invisible to the eye. (The Little Prince)
Hayfa View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hayfa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2006 at 2:54pm

oh yes.. of course with marriage should be permanant.. jus that people squiggle and re-create things. They twist things and bend it which ever way they think they can justify..   

Some man 'claimed' (I just talked to him once on the phone) to be an Iman in Brooklyn, NYC said we need a 'temporary marriage' in order to talk to me on the phone. 

All kinds of people out there. 

When you do things from your soul, you feel a river moving in you, a joy. Rumi
Patty View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Patty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2006 at 11:33am

As a Roman Catholic, I notice that our religions adhere to the same belief(s) regarding surrogate parenting.  My own sister and her husband could not conceive, and decided to adopt.  (They became the parents of 4 little brothers and sisters, 2 boys and 2 girls, who had been horribly abused by their birth parents.)

Here is what Catholics believe regarding surrogate parenting:

Homologous artificial fertilization (that is, any technique used to achieve conception using the gametes of the two spouses joined in marriage) is prohibited when it separates procreation from the marital act in its unitive significance (e.g., any technique used to achieve extra-corporeal conception).29

Because of the dignity of the child and of marriage, and because of the uniqueness of the mother-child relationship, participation in contracts or arrangements for surrogate motherhood is not permitted. Moreover, the commercialization of such surrogacy denigrates the dignity of women, especially the poor.30
A Catholic health care institution that provides treatment for infertility should offer not only technical assistance to infertile couples but also should help couples pursue other solutions (e.g., counseling, adoption).

A Catholic health care institution should provide prenatal, obstetric, and postnatal services for mothers and their children in a manner consonant with its mission.

Abortion (that is, the directly intended termination of pregnancy before viability or the directly intended destruction of a viable fetus) is never permitted. Every procedure whose sole immediate effect is the termination of pregnancy before viability is an abortion, which, in its moral context, includes the interval between conception and implantation of the embryo. Catholic health care institutions are not to provide abortion services, even based upon the principle of material cooperation. In this context, Catholic health care institutions need to be concerned about the danger of scandal in any association with abortion providers.

I hope this offers some worthy information on the subject.  We do seem to be close in our beliefs on this subject.

God's Peace!

Patty

Edited by Patty
Patty

I don't know what the future holds....but I know who holds the future.
amah View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2006 at 1:43am
Patty, just wanted to ask you, since you mentioned abortion....are you (Catholics) allowed to abort in case of emergency , for example, if the pregnancy is a threat to the mother's life???
Thanks...
Allah is Sufficient as a Walee (Protector) and Allah is Sufficient as a Naseer (Helper).
(Surah An-Nisa, Chapter #4, Verse #45)
Abeer23 View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abeer23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2006 at 1:51am

As salamu alaikum

Sister Amah Jazakillahu khairan.  I truly admire your method of giving naseeha.

Peacemaker, Jazakallahu khairan for your input.  Western study of science is a bit secular in nature.  Muslims have to be careful and approach it from an Islamic perspective.

Mishmish, glad it makes sense to you now.

Patty, interesting post.

Patty View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Patty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2006 at 4:43am

Dear Amah:

You asked the following -- "Patty, just wanted to ask you, since you mentioned abortion....are you (Catholics) allowed to abort in case of emergency , for example, if the pregnancy is a threat to the mother's life???
Thanks..."

In the Catholic faith abortion is considered murder and is never allowed intentionally.  If the Mother's life is in danger (which is very rare in this day and age), the Mother must be saved, with every effort made NOT to intentionally cause the death of the fetus/baby. One scenario which comes to mind is in the event of a tubal pregnancy.  As we know this pregnancy cannot survive, as the baby is outside the womb, implanted in the tube.  This is a case where the baby must be carefully removed from the tube, otherwise the Mother will not survive.  It is a very sad situation.  I hope this helps answer your question.

Peace to you.

Patty

Patty

I don't know what the future holds....but I know who holds the future.
amah View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2006 at 5:01am
Thanks Patty, peace to you too!

Allah is Sufficient as a Walee (Protector) and Allah is Sufficient as a Naseer (Helper).
amah View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2006 at 5:04am
Jazakallahukhairan to you too sister Abeer.

May Allah increase you in your knowledge (and the rest of us).

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 12>
  Share Topic