IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Culture & Community > Groups : Women (Sisters)
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Does Islam allow Surrogate mothers?  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Does Islam allow Surrogate mothers?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 12>
Author
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mishmish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2006 at 1:09pm
Originally posted by amah amah wrote:

Originally posted by Mishmish Mishmish wrote:

I am not saying that I agree with surrogacy, I just do not see the legitimacy of this particular reasoning.

So if you do not agree with surrogacy, then why don't you give us your good reasoning sister???????????????? May be your reasoning will be more solid.

Assalamu Alaikum Sister:

I am still thinking it through. I don't agree or disagree at this point.

If your wife is your tilth, and this is concerning the womb, then what of wives that cannot bear children?

I think that there are many things that would be considered innovation or haram that Muslims do everyday in the field of medicine. Such as organ transplants, artificial hearts and pace makers, chemo therapy, Lasik vision surgery, even getting a filling in your tooth...

There are hadith which could be used to argue against all of these, yet no one would generally think twice about the procedures.

The implanted egg is already a separate organism, a baby, not the sperm. What is the difference between this and fertilty treatments which alter the natural state of the woman's womb so that she can concieve? Man is still altering what Allah(SWT) created. Yet Muslim women do these treatments all of the time.

What if the fertilized egg of the husband and wife could be grown outside of a womb, in a lab, would that be Islamically allowed since no other woman's womb was used?

It is only with the heart that one can see clearly, what is essential is invisible to the eye. (The Little Prince)
amah View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2006 at 10:34pm
My Dear Mishmish,

Organ transplants and other treatments you mentioned are all life saving, they are not the same as surrogacy, u understand? Not just to save life but also to relieve pain, of course you can have treatments.

Besides, in emergency or life and death situations , Allah has lifted prohibitions. If a man is is dying of hunger, he is allowed to eat pork. and there are many such examples.

I really sympathise with couples who cannot have children of their own. If i was in this situation, believe me, i would like to err on the side of caution. What if on the day of judgement, we find out out, this was haraam? too late?

Regd. fertility treatments, it is allowed to cure diseases and abnormalities. a "normal" woman can bear children easily but if she has problems , why can't she treat it? She is treating the abnormality. If we believe the argument you give, then siamese twins shouldn't be separated coz they were "naturally" born that way? What about children born with cleft lip? If a man loses his arm in an accident, can he use an artificial limb? If a man is in need of blood, won't he be given another person's blood?

Anyways, Allah knows best...I hope Allah shows us the right path.
jazakallahukhairan.
Allah is Sufficient as a Walee (Protector) and Allah is Sufficient as a Naseer (Helper).
(Surah An-Nisa, Chapter #4, Verse #45)
amah View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2006 at 10:38pm
Originally posted by Mishmish Mishmish wrote:

What if the fertilized egg of the husband and wife could be grown outside of a womb, in a lab, would that be Islamically allowed since no other woman's womb was used?

Honestly, i do not know the answer to that, whether it will be allowed.

But there's no place like womb , for the foetus!!
Allah is Sufficient as a Walee (Protector) and Allah is Sufficient as a Naseer (Helper).
Mishmish View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mishmish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2006 at 11:49pm

Assalamu Alaikum Sisters:

At first I was thinking that most of the prohibative arguments used against surrogacy: showing your aura, mixing the sperm, could be used against fertility treatments or invitro fertilization, but then I found this Ayat in the Quran:

58:2 If any men among you divorce their wives by Zihar (calling them mothers), they cannot be their mothers: None can be their mothers except those who gave them birth. And in fact they use words (both) iniquitous and false: but truly Allah is one that blots out (sins), and forgives (again and again).

This would indicate that only the woman actually giving birth to the baby could be considered the child's mother, that would be the surrogate. So, even if you used your own egg and your husband's sperm , you would never Islamically be considered the baby's mother.

Insha'Allah this will help.

Salaams. 

It is only with the heart that one can see clearly, what is essential is invisible to the eye. (The Little Prince)
fatima View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatima Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2006 at 5:01am

Bismillah irrahman irrahim

Assalamu alaikum

SubhanAllah sis Mishmish, its such a blessing of Allah swt when He gives u understanding of His deen, its quite a heart touching sort of explanation but Allahu alam

MashaAllah the topic is very beautifuly discussed, little pointer that you are not suppose to be marrying second time bcos u cant have kids with first wife, as loosing hope in mercy of Allah swt is a sin.  another little thing that scholars don't reckon that organ transplant is an option in islam either other than kidneys which if taken from alive person who has two functioning kidneys is ok, due to two main reason, one is mutilating the body and second that this body is not for us to share and cut out after our death it is a blessing and amaanah from our lord so we return it to him in full piece, full knowledge is only with Allah swt

wassalam

Say: (O Muhammad) If you love Allah, then follow me, Allah will love you and forgive you your faults, and Allah is Forgiving, MercifuL
Hayfa View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hayfa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2006 at 11:13am

interesting.. minus being a sister you can:

husband can marry a woman as 2nd wife, sleep with her, get her pregnant, after birth and proper waiting period, can divorce, and then he can raise the child with his first wife correct?

Child would then be legitimate?

When you do things from your soul, you feel a river moving in you, a joy. Rumi
amah View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2006 at 11:21am
Originally posted by Hayfa Hayfa wrote:

interesting.. minus being a sister you can:

husband can marry a woman as 2nd wife, sleep with her, get her pregnant, after birth and proper waiting period, can divorce, and then he can raise the child with his first wife correct?

Child would then be legitimate?

As per my knowledge, marriage is for keeps(at least that should be the intention at the time of marriage) and not allowed to do it for some temporary period, yes?

Though the child would be legitimate....

Besides, personally i consider it unfair to the second wife... our body and souls are attached you know....

Angela View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angela Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2006 at 11:29am

Hayfa,

I could say, only if the man wants to go to hell.  A man is to only approach his wife in righteousness.  If he's just using her to breed with her and has the intention of divorcing her afterwards.  I would think that wasn't approaching in righteousness. 

However, if he has two wives and only one bears children, isn't is correct the child calls both women "Um?"

As a woman who suffers from infertility, if we were in a situation that allowed such a thing, I would suggest to my husband that we find him a second wife to marry and have children.  Of course, working together we could find someone I would be friends with and he could love.  But, this is not a situation that would work with most women.  Some would be bitter (Like Sarah), others would be competitive...and then there is the risk the husband will favor the fertile wife.  Its a fine line to walk.

Surrogate mothers in most cases are not women who are renting their bodies, they are making the sacrifice of discomfort for 9 months to give life to another persons dreams.  But, given the ayat Sister Mishmish posted kinda solves it the Islamic question.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 12>
  Share Topic