IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Regional > Asia-Pacific
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Muslim in China  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Muslim in China

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Male Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote semar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Muslim in China
    Posted: 08 April 2005 at 12:21am

Muslim in China
http://www.islamicpopulation.com/china_muslim.html

According to population statistics of 1936, the then Kuomintang Republic of China had an estimated 48,104,240 Muslims. Below is a reference from about the Muslim population before Communist Revolution:

"There are in China 48,104,241 Mohammedan followers and 42,371 mosques, largely in Sinkiang, Chinghai, Manchuria, Kansu, Yunnan, Shensi, Hopei, and Honan. "Ferm, Vergilius (ed.). An Encyclopedia of Religion; Westport, CT: Greenwood Press (1976), pg. 145. [1st pub. in 1945 by Philosophical Library. 1976 reprint is unrevised.]

Under the pretext of unification of national education, Islamic schools were closed and their students transferred to other schools which taught only Marxism and Maoism. Other outrages included the closing of over 29,000 mosques, the widespread torture of imams, and executions of over 360,000 Muslims. Aside from the physical annihilation, Muslims have been subjected to a constant attack on their Islamic identity especially during the so-called Cultural Revolution (1966-76). For instance, posters which appeared in Peking (later to be called Beijing) in 1966, openly called for the abolition of Islamic practices. Muslims were also barred from learning their written language which incorporated the Arabic script and was influenced by Arabic, Turkish and Farsi. This change was critical as it distanced Muslims from the Arabic language, the language of the Qur'an and their Islamic aspirations. During this era many Mosques were closed down and waqf properties were confiscated. (Yusuf Abdur Rahman)

Since religious freedom was declared in 1978, the Chinese Muslims have not wasted time in expressing their convictions. There has been an increased upsurge in Islamic expression in China, and many nationwide Islamic associations have been organized to coordinate inter-ethnic activities among Muslims. Islamic literature can be found quite easily and there are currently some eight different translations of the Qur'an in the Chinese language as well as translations in Uygur and the other Turkic languages (Yusuf Abdul Rahman). There are now some 34,000 mosques and 400 Islamic organization in the entire People's Republic of China (Beijing, Rabi Awwal 28/June 20 (IINA). Muslims are allowed to perform Hajj and the number of pilgrimage from China is about 3000 per year.

At present, according to official statistics there are 28 million Muslim in China but in1936 it was estimated that the Muslim population was 48 million. By this time total population has increased 3-4 fold. So we can conclude that the total Muslim population has increased minimum by that same proportion. Therefore, now the total Muslim population is at least 150 million.

Salam/Peace,

Semar

"We are people who do not eat until we are hungry and do not eat to our fill." (Prophet Muhammad PBUH)

"1/3 of your stomach for food, 1/3 for water, 1/3 for air"
kim! View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kim! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2005 at 9:34pm

I have a friend who visits China quite often and spends a lot of time there. She has been learning Mandarin for many years now and is over there on a 6-month exchange right now.

She and I were discussing the different ethnic groups found in China, including the Uigurs of West China. She commented that they actually are surprisingly free to keep their traditional practices, but that many, many of them cannot speak Chinese, just their traditional language.

I asked her if these people are mostly very poor (she said yes) and if she thought this "freedom" was actually the government's way of making sure that the people actually stayed poor and powerless. If people cannot speak the language of their country and are, therefore, stuck in the middle of nowhere with no possibility of leaving, then those people are not going to be able to make much trouble, are they?

What do you think?

Kim...

Alfandi View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alfandi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2005 at 6:53pm

Hi,

Acctually, Muslims in China are made up of ten ethnic groups.

They are Hui, Uighurs, Khazaks, Kyrgys, Uzbek, Tatars, Tajiks, Salar, Sartars, and Bao'ans. The most distinctive features among these ethnic groups are 'language'.

Hui   speak Madarin.

Uighurs, Khazaks, Kyrgys, Uzbek, Tatars, Tajiks and Salar speak Turkic languages. All these ethnic groups lives in Sinkiang Uighur Autonomous Region, excep Salar living in Qinghai Province.

Sartars and Bao' ans speak Mongolian language, living in Gansu Province.

Most of the China Muslims live in the northwest of China. But Hui Muslim communities can be found in each big cities of China.

By the way, I belongs to the Hui community.

AK47 View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AK47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2005 at 10:16pm

I've researched Muslims of the "Far East" for a number of years now, and I have found their plight to be the most widely ignored in the Muslim world. Almost all Muslims around the world know about Palestine, Chechnya, Kashmir and Iraq, but almost no Muslims, probably as low as 30% know about East Turkestan. For instance, East Turkestan was an independant republic twice in the 20th century, originally between 1933-36, and latter between 1944 and 1949, the former being called the Islamic Republic of East Turkestan, the latter, the East Turkestan Republic. The extensive history of Muslims in China and South East Asia is virtually unknown in the Muslim world. The very capable president of the 2nd East Turkestan republic Alihan Tore went missing in the Soviet Union, while his deputies were mysteriously killed in a plane crash over the Soviet Union on their way to negotiate the status of East Turkestan with the newly formed communist government in Beijing. Semar tells it correctly when he wrote about the persecution that Chinese Muslims have faced under the Communist regime. However, the biggest threat by far to the Islamic identity of East Turkestan is the rampant immigration of Han Chinese into East Turkestan. The Chinese govts. official policy is to swamp the Muslim of East Turkestan with Han settlers, who now control the East Turkestan economy almost entirely. From a once 90% majority in East Turkestan, Muslims have been reduced to as low as 50% in some parts of the province.  And that is just the case in East Turkestan, not to mention the other parts of China, where Muslims are routinely discriminated against by the piggish Han majority, unless the Muslims pretty well abandon their religion and cultural traditions and assimilate into Han culture.

ummziba View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ummziba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2005 at 4:24am

Assalamu alaikum,

Thanks to all the posters on this thread - this is most interesting!  This is the kind of sharing of information that makes this forum worth visiting.  Alhamdulillah!

Peace, ummziba.

Sticks and stones may break my bones, but your words...they break my soul ~
meh26 View Drop Down
Starter
Starter
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote meh26 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2006 at 12:29am

Assalaamuralaikum?

My name is mehtaab, me, my husband and my daughter we are looking to establish ourselves in China, Foshan City. We worried about the food, what if we do not get Muslim Halal Food there.

Also, my daughter is only 3 years old and what will happen to her eduction, islamic. Please if you something please reply. Allah will help you.

Wassalaam,

Mehtaab.

Muslima View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Muslima Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2006 at 2:24am

I think it will be difficult for you to find halal....also they eat a lot of pork I think.

Why don't you go to malaysia?

ak_m_f View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ak_m_f Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2006 at 8:29am
Originally posted by Muslima Muslima wrote:

Why don't you go to malaysia?

sister, Its not that easy to packup and move.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic