IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Interfaith Dialogue
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - no compulsion - the latest......  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

no compulsion - the latest......

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 37>
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fredifreeloader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: no compulsion - the latest......
    Posted: 27 April 2006 at 8:02am

from todays Star:

http://www.thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2006/4/27/nat ion/1 4074076&sec=nation

"Muslims who skip Friday prayers can be punished

KOTA BARU: Skipping Friday prayers is a major sin for Muslims and it is punishable under the state�s Syariah laws, said Kelantan Bar Committee chairman Datuk Wan Harun Shukri Noordin. 

Therefore, Muslims in the state must remember that Friday prayers are compulsory, otherwise they can be jailed or fined by the religious authorities, he said yesterday. 

He was commenting on a recent case in which a Muslim man was fined by the Syariah Court here for not attending the weekly prayers.  

Wan Harun said Syariah laws may differ slightly between the various states and their religious councils, but skipping Friday prayers was a clear offence in Kelantan and this rule applied to all Muslims working or residing in the state. 

State Local Government Committee chairman Takiyuddin Hassan said all states had similar legislation stating that it was an offence not to attend Friday prayers, but in Kelantan, the enforcement was more orderly. 

That was the reason why the man was hauled to court for not going to the mosque on a Friday, he said."  

Edited by fredifreeloader
for i am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth - romans 1: 16
herjihad View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herjihad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2006 at 8:19am

Bismillah,

Muslim men, fred.

This seems to be in Malaysia.  Laws in different countries are very interesting to me.  What do you guys think?  Would you like to see sharia implemented in this way in Canada or US?

Al-Hamdulillah (From a Married Muslimah) La Howla Wa La Quwata Illa BiLLah - There is no Effort or Power except with Allah's Will.
fredifreeloader View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fredifreeloader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2006 at 8:41am
herjihad - it is malaysia, i should have specified this.  i am actually in scotland, so it will be up to canadians and americans to decide what they want.  i would utterly oppose any hint of sharia law being implemented in any way here
for i am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth - romans 1: 16
Servetus View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Servetus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2006 at 11:07am

For more details, and to satisfy my own curiosity, I clicked on the link but the story wouldn�t load.

I would guess that this punishment for not attending Friday prayers is coming from the Wahhabist, which is to say, �puritanical� strain, or sect, of Islam (with its Saudi-modeled mutawah, or religious police, and all that).  At any rate, this reminds me of those Christian �Puritan� colonialists (of America) who made church attendance mandatory, and, for that matter, of John Calvin�s theocratic Geneva, which apparently and at times did the same thing.  Extraordinary, what was historically done with this:

And the lord said unto the servant, Go out into the highways and hedges, and compel them to come in, that my house may be filled. [bold emphasis mine]� (Luke 14:23)

Servetus

Mishmish View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mishmish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2006 at 2:35pm
It is only with the heart that one can see clearly, what is essential is invisible to the eye. (The Little Prince)
BMZ View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BMZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2006 at 6:11pm

herjihad wote:

"This seems to be in Malaysia."

herjihad, it is only happening in the State of Kelantan in Malaysia, where the State Government is formed by a Malaysian Islamic Party.

There is no compulsion in the other states of Malaysia.

BMZ View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BMZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2006 at 6:18pm

And the lord said unto the servant, Go out into the highways and hedges, and compel them to come in, that my house may be filled. [bold emphasis mine]� (Luke 14:23)

Serv, What a great and bold emphasis!   Thanks for above and I agree with your bold emphasis. Do I have your permission to quote above elsewhere?

Servetus View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Servetus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2006 at 6:35pm

Cheers, BMZ,

�There is no compulsion in the other states of Malaysia.�

�� Do I have your [Servetus's] permission to quote above elsewhere?�

Permission granted, of course, but please do be advised that St. Luke�s Gospel has been in the public domain for roughly 2000 years and I didn�t get permission from anyone before I quoted it.  That said, I am not joking when I say that extraordinary things were historically done, or implemented, with this quote in mind, and one need only Google search, e.g., �St. Augustine,� �City of God,� and �compel them to come in� for proof of that.

Best regards,

Serv

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 37>
  Share Topic