IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Comments & Complaints
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Unhealthy Censorship?  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedUnhealthy Censorship?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2006 at 9:02am

brother ak, did i say that they should not ask questions regarding islam?

they may ask questions regarding islam.

masha Allah i have replied to many of questions of non-muslims in this forum.

this is an islamic forum. people who enter this forum must know that they come here to learn islam.

It is better to be alone than to be in bad company.
AhmadJoyia View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2006 at 7:19pm
Originally posted by peacemaker peacemaker wrote:

Assalamu Alaikum!

Brother AhmadJoyia,

No offense intended, could you please elaborate the difference between dialog and debate, if any?

Peace

Dear Bro, I think neither of the two cases can be applied to the threads that I referred in my last post that were locked out. It was hardly any dialog, what to call debate had yet started in them. Just for an example "Is God an Absolute Unity " where the only reply given was simply an agreement by bro AK. More so, I don't see any citations by the moderators for locking it out.

-ArabianKnight- View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2006 at 11:13pm
Originally posted by Athanasius Athanasius wrote:

You know, Ahmad, Christians already believe that Muslims are rather anti-intellectual, and not willing to submit to honest critical thought.  This just confirms it more.  As a Christian, I'd be willing to answer any question you would throw at me.  I'm not going to shut you down for asking questions.

Look, Muslims put out fatwas on those who write or say things contrary to Islam.  Christians aren't into that.  We believe in freedom of thought and expression - something that censorship does not allow.

Its not Muslims who fear criticism.. and Christianity isnt all that into freedom of thought and expression as you may think... Christanity has one of the darkest anti-intellectual past of any civilization... and some Muslim groups are catching up quick.. The problem on this forum is that Its an "Islamic Forum..." a phrase that is as vague as midnight fog. The moderators act more emotionally and from cultural interpretations rather than a set rule.... Sure they may have a list of Rules ( The forum Guidlines ) but the Rules are interpretive. Free Means we dont pay.. so I guess one can only discuss what they deem fit for the masses.
THere Is no god, BUT GOD
and Adam was his First Messenger
Senior  Member
Male Christian
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2006 at 2:40am
In dialog both sides listen to each other and try to understand different viewpoints.

Debate is when someone tries to suppress the other's argument by whatever means necessary.  The emphasis is on logical trickery and rhetoric. 

The difference is similar to the difference between teamwork and warfare.
Christian; Wesleyan M.Div.
ak_m_f View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2006 at 6:34am
Originally posted by DavidC DavidC wrote:

In dialog both sides listen to each other and try to understand different viewpoints.Debate is when someone tries to suppress the other's argument by whatever means necessary.� The emphasis is on logical trickery and rhetoric.� The difference is similar to the difference between teamwork and warfare.

well said David
Athanasius View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2006 at 7:22am

AK_M_f  You ask whether the concept of freedom is in the Bible.  I would say it definitely is; for instance, Jesus said,

"If the Son has set you free, you are free indeed."

Christianity has had a long tradition of internal debate.  Theology was, after all, defined by Councils, where debates took place.  Christians attribute the consensus to the activity of the Holy Spirit, who was sent to guide the Church into all truth. If you access most Christian website, you will quickly learn that Christians debate among themselves (on the minors, not the majors), and that kind of debate can be very healthy. 

Now, on the other hand, I would say that Islam may not have that same tradition of free exchanges of ideas and concepts pertaining to theological doctrine.  That is why you will not generally see this kind of give and take among Muslims and Non-Muslims on Muslim-owned websites.  You will see it,however, on Christian-oriented sites.  That's just the way it is, I suppose, and I don't think there is going to be any big break-through in dialogue in the near future.

Of course Muslims believe they are right, and Christians believe deeply that they are right.  However, Christians don't usually make remaining a Christian a matter of physical life or death (at least not in this era). I believe that "freedom of religious expression" is a Western concept, and of biblical origin.  For instance, when Paul spoke of heretical teachers, he never condemned them with a death sentence - he simply said, "anathema."  Surely, Jesus never taught any compulsion in religion - in fact He taught exactly the opposite: "no man can come to Me, unless the Father draws him."

This Christian view is evidenced by the Calvinist system of theology which speaks of election from the foundations of the earth. 

So, this is my view on the matter, A

Freedom is a gift from God - to deny men freedom is to worship evil.
Danty View Drop Down
Female
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2006 at 8:20am
Anathanasius,

Have you read the Quran? How can you say anything about Islam without knowledge of it. I can tell by your post that you know your religion well. Don't say anyhting about a muslim unless you have read more about our religion. We are good people. It seems like you, yourself needs to open up in learning and asking questions about religion. My mom was Christian before marrying my father. After 18 years of marriage and research of religion, she chose Islam. Please take the time to learn. May God guide you. Peace.
Athanasius View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2006 at 8:28am
Actually, Danty I have read the Quran and also have read many collateral books.  I happen to know a great deal about Islam.
Freedom is a gift from God - to deny men freedom is to worship evil.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic