IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Comments & Complaints
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Unhealthy Censorship?  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedUnhealthy Censorship?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Unhealthy Censorship?
    Posted: 14 April 2006 at 1:20pm

One of the moderator (probably sis Khadijah) made the following remarks to which I don't fully agree with. She says "

***What part of my warning did you fail to understand?  Non-Muslims are not invited here to debate their faith.  They are invited here to learn about Islam.  It appears to me that your sole purpose here is to proselytize which is not permitted because this is a MUSLIM forum group.  We are here to learn about Islam.  We love our faith.  We do not beg others to come here; however, we warmly welcome them if they truly desire to learn about Islam."** "

Here I do like to draw her attention to a particular area of this forum, where healthy discussion among different faiths (Islamic Interfaith Dialogue) is discussed to learn. This learning is a both way traffic through which we all benefit. If we believe, as Muslims, that we are on the right path, then we must be able to demonstrate it as well beyond our "blind" faith with appropriate logic and using wisdom that Allah has given us. However, we are incapable of doing so, then such tactics of "shuting up others" would not help either. Here, (Islamic Interfaith Dialogue), I do see a lot of threads being un-necessarily locked out with out assigning any reason to it, that too, hardly the discussion has begun in them. Now for them I really couldn't understand as why such an action took place. Are we afraid of some thing?

Now coming to the specific word "proselytize " which our moderators levishly use to chop others, it must be realised that it is a relative term and must be used in very extrem situations. Untill or unless someone is behaving such as not to listen to logical arguments presented by others and whose only purpose is to declare his opinon without rationalist understanding of it, I don't think such a lable can be fixed so easily on this forum.

Athanasius View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 April 2006 at 3:40pm

Ahmad, how right you are.  I will soon be banned for eternity I suppose.  But, as an illustration, I posted a thread on the Interfaith Dialogue regarding the unity of God - nipped in the bud, and it was a pretty good discussion point.  You'll note that I said nothing negative about Muslims.

You know, Ahmad, Christians already believe that Muslims are rather anti-intellectual, and not willing to submit to honest critical thought.  This just confirms it more.  As a Christian, I'd be willing to answer any question you would throw at me.  I'm not going to shut you down for asking questions.

Look, Muslims put out fatwas on those who write or say things contrary to Islam.  Christians aren't into that.  We believe in freedom of thought and expression - something that censorship does not allow.

Freedom is a gift from God - to deny men freedom is to worship evil.
ak_m_f View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 April 2006 at 4:27pm
Freedom is a gift from God - to deny men freedom is to worship evil.

is it in bible?
Danty View Drop Down
Female
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 April 2006 at 8:15pm
Dear Athanasius,

Please with all do respect, donot put any muslims in one category. Look, everyone has different views and thoughts about how life is. We are very intellectial and do take critiscism as long as you respect our religion. We will respect what you say as long as you respect us. Look, what you told Brother Ahmad was not very kind. My mother was a Christian when she married my muslim father. After 18 years of marriage, she converted on her own free will. And you know what? During those years of finding the truth, she respected my father's opinion and he respected what she had to say. (She was a Presbytarian, then Babtists, and finally she became muslim) So, how can you say that all muslims are not intelligent and donot accept criticism. One way for Muslims to even know that Islam is the truth, is by asking questions about there religion and others. One more thing when you said " We believe in freedom of thought and expression - something that censorship does not allow." Not all Christians are that way either. So please, don't put anybody in one category. Thanks.
Angel View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2006 at 4:22am

AhmadJoyia, I'm with ya on your point  

~ Our feet are earthbound, but our hearts and our minds have wings ~
peacemaker View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Male
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2006 at 7:21pm

Assalamu Alaikum!

Brother AhmadJoyia,

No offense intended, could you please elaborate the difference between dialogue and debate, if any?

Peace

Then which of the favours of your Lord will ye deny?
Qur'an 55:13
salman View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2006 at 12:10am

brother ahmadjoyia, i agree with what sister khadija said.

and i totally disagree with you brother.

i don't think this is unhealthy censorship. this is an islamic forum. people who enter this forum know that they come here to learn Islam.

It is better to be alone than to be in bad company.
ak_m_f View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2006 at 8:56am
Originally posted by salman salman wrote:

brother ahmadjoyia, i agree with what sister khadija said.

and i totally disagree with you brother.

i don't think this is unhealthy censorship. this is an islamic forum. people who enter this forum know that they come here to learn Islam.

Then how will people know abuot Islam, if we dont let them ask questions?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic