IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Islam for non-Muslims
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - derogatory remarks  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

derogatory remarks

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Starter
Starter
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ailsa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: derogatory remarks
    Posted: 12 April 2006 at 3:06pm
My daughter came home yesterday  from school and reported that her history teacher had referred to mulims as "towelheads"  I find that extremely offensive and her father and I promptly sent a letter to the school principal.  He seems to think its "not that bad"  I would like some advice on similar situations.  Maybe a muslim would be able to advise on the right course of action.  If you wouldn't make a stink about it...should I??

Thank you,
Shannon
ak_m_f View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ak_m_f Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2006 at 3:08pm
Originally posted by ailsa ailsa wrote:

My daughter came home yesterday� from school and reported that her history teacher had referred to mulims as "towelheads"� I find that extremely offensive and her father and I promptly sent a letter to the school principal.� He seems to think its "not that bad"� I would like some advice on similar situations.� Maybe a muslim would be able to advise on the right course of action.� If you wouldn't make a stink about it...should I??Thank you,Shannon

where u live?
ailsa View Drop Down
Starter
Starter
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ailsa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2006 at 3:17pm
i live in virginia, us

Angela View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angela Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2006 at 3:30pm

Ailsa, I know a Muslimah in VA, I'm going to tell her about you and, God willing, she'll see this before I can call her or afterwards she'll contact you.

Mishmish View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mishmish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2006 at 3:34pm

Shannon,

Thank you very much for taking the time to come here and ask these questions.

It is wonderful that you found this offensive and actually sent a letter in protest. I am assuming that there are no Muslim childen at the school?

The Prophet Mohammed was very patient with those who were not Muslim, but Islam does not condone prejudice in any manner. As a person of conscience, I would not want my children or myself exposed to this type of stereotyping and name calling.

If the principal still seems to feel that what he said was fine, perhaps you could contact the school board and let them know that he might need some sensitivity training. If this doesn't work, you can report the incident to CAIR, the Council on American Islamic Relations http://www.cair-net.org/     They are a group of American Muslims who work to change misconceptions about Muslims in America.

I know there are many Muslims in Virginia and it is very hurtful to be singled out in thios manner. Thank you for taking a stand.

Dwanna

It is only with the heart that one can see clearly, what is essential is invisible to the eye. (The Little Prince)
ak_m_f View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ak_m_f Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2006 at 3:38pm
can you sue em?

ailsa View Drop Down
Starter
Starter
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ailsa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2006 at 3:40pm
We have let the principal know that if he chooses to do nothing about it, we would be going to the school board but I'm afraid that it would be more of the same.  We have asked that the teacher go through sensitivity training but the principal said that he couldn't discuss any corrective action because it would be an invasion of the teacher's privacy.

My children have been taught that racism/sexism/prejudice etc...in any form is wrong.  We don't use hateful words and we stand up against those who do.  This will be my second similar issue with this school.  The other remark was against the poor on welfare so not related to this but still offensive.

I do appreciate your help on this matter and I will take any and all advice that you will give.

Thank you,
Shannon
Mishmish View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mishmish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2006 at 4:53pm

Shannon:

Since you seem to be getting nowhere with the school and they seem more interested in protecting the teacher's privacy, above your right to have your child taught in a tolerant and inclusive environment, I would go ahead and contact CAIR and ask them to help you take action.

They will know what to do in this situation. They have an office in Herndon and an office in Bethesda,  but you can e-mail them from the website.

Dwanna

It is only with the heart that one can see clearly, what is essential is invisible to the eye. (The Little Prince)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic