IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > General Islamic Matter
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Umar bin Al-Khattab's involvement in Hija  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Umar bin Al-Khattab's involvement in Hija

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Starter.
Starter.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MuslimTurtles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Umar bin Al-Khattab's involvement in Hija
    Posted: 05 December 2017 at 12:38am
Assalamualaikum everyone.

I'm new here, and also a new convert. I'll post about myself in a bit, but I just wanted to seek out some information. I hope this is the right place to do it. Mods, please relocate if this could go in a different place.

My fiancee and I are seeking out knowledge about whether hijab is obligatory or not. We've both done a fair bit of research, we just want a little extra opinion on the matter. I'm a Christian convert to Islam living in rural America and she's a born Muslim for Egypt. Two different cultures, but Allah brought us together alhamdulillah.

We're not seeking to spark debate or change anyone's minds or opinions, just a collective knowledge. We are hoping to avoid toxicity and closed minded replies. This has been posted to Reddit, but the majority there are of the opinion it isn't up for discussion, period. I am hoping this community will be more friendly and welcoming, especially for a new convert such as myself.

Enough about that, here's what we are seeking.

My question now is about Umar bin Al-Khattab's Involvement in Hijab verses. I read earlier (and maybe I am wrong) that there is a hadith saying that :

'A'isha reported that the wives of Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) used to go out in the cover of night when they went to open fields (in the outskirts of Medina) for easing themselves. 'Umar b Khattab used to say: Allah's Messenger, ask your ladies to observe veil, but Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) did not do that. So there went out Sauda, daughter of Zarn'a, the wife of Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him), during one of the nights when it was dark. She was a tall statured lady. 'Umar called her saying: Sauda, we recognise you. (He did this with the hope that the verses pertaining to veil would be revealed.) 'A'isha said: Allah, the Exalted and Glorious, then revealed the verses pertaining to veil. [Sahih Muslim 26:5397](http://quranx.com/Hadith/Muslim/USC-...6/Hadith-5397/)

>Umar once saw a young girl leaving the house of Hafsa (his daughter), adorned with a jilbab � or, from one of the houses of the Prophet�s wives. Umar entered the house and said, �Who is this girl?� They said, �A slave of ours� � or, a slave of someone�s family. He became enraged at them and said, �Your slave girls left with their adornment, and created discord (fitna) amongst the people.�
� Abd al-Razzaq al-Sanani (d. 211 AH/826 CE). Al-Musannaf

That means that this verse was to differentiate between slaves and free women back at those days. There are no slaves nowadays and it is known that all women are free now. Was that verse for women back then only or does it include all women in nowadays too? If it includes present's women, would it be only a sign of modesty or a fard that would include punishment if not done?

Further link: [Saudi scholar says women are not required to wear hijab](http://www.moroccoworldnews.com/2014...an-put-makeup/)

This is in no way a criticism of women who chose to wear a hijab vs those who do not. She does, and she believes she is right, however, she also wants to expand her knowledge and ask questions. Allah gave us a mind, it is only fitting to use it.

Thank you for any insight you can offer.
abuayisha View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Muslim
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abuayisha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2017 at 6:34am
Salaams and welcome. There is a difference between veil and hijab. Also the wives of the Prophet can't be compared to other women, as his wives were completely seclude inside a howdah when going out. Perhaps the video may be helpful for you and your wife.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2kCLxjePww
syed_z View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote syed_z Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2017 at 7:37am
Wa Alaikum Salaam Wa Rahmatullahi,

Honestly brother, I don't see any difference between the 2 traditions you quoted. Both seem to suggest that women should cover themselves whether they are concubines or free women. Could you please also share the verses of Quran that were revealed pertaining to the above incident. JazakAllah.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic