IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Interfaith Dialogue
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Don't take a Jew or a Christian for a fri  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Don't take a Jew or a Christian for a fri

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caringheart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2018 at 3:33am
Originally posted by MIAW MIAW wrote:

Originally posted by Caringheart Caringheart wrote:

...Neighbors betray one another and are taught hate for one another...

Greetings Caringheart,

Please allow me to make something very clear before we move on:

I personally, do not (and will not) hate anybody. I take all people individually, for what they are. I do not hate Christians, Jews, or any other faith on Earth. We are all children of Adam. We have been created and put here to 'help' each other through the trials, tribulations and demands of Life. I may dislike some 'Actions' of some people, but those could be Actions of a Muslim person as well as any other person.

I happen to think that we have a lot more in common than what the Media tries to 'push down our throat' all the time.

I think we have a lot to learn from each other, and there is nothing wrong with that. I, for one, appreciate tremendously the positive things I have learnt from associating and interacting with Christians, Jews, Sikhs, Hindous, Chinese...etc throughout the years. I believe in 'people', and every time that an act of killing, terrorism, rape, abuse...etc is committed, it tears my heart apart, no matter who the perpetrator is, no matter what faith they believe in, no matter the motives.

People will always disagree about things, that's natural, but there is definitely no need for hatred. If we cannot possibly come to an agreement over a certain matter, then we leave that to The All-Supreme, All-Wise, on the Day Of Judgement.

The Qur'an taught me this...

[49:13]
يَا أَيُّهَا النَّاسُ إِنَّا خَلَقْنَاكُمْ مِنْ ذَكَرٍ وَأُنْثَى وَجَعَلْنَاكُمْ شُعُوبًا وَقَبَائِلَ لِتَعَارَفُوا إِنَّ أَكْرَمَكُمْ عِنْدَ اللَّهِ أَتْقَاكُمْ إِنَّ اللَّهَ عَلِيمٌ خَبِيرٌ
O mankind! We created you from a single (pair) of a male and a female, and made you into nations and tribes, that ye may know each other (not that ye may despise each other). Verily the most honoured of you in the sight of Allah is (he who is) the most righteous of you. And Allah has full Knowledge and is well-acquainted (with all things).

And this...

[5:32]
مِنْ أَجْلِ ذَلِكَ كَتَبْنَا عَلَى بَنِي إِسْرَائِيلَ أَنَّهُ مَنْ قَتَلَ نَفْسًا بِغَيْرِ نَفْسٍ أَوْ فَسَادٍ فِي الْأَرْضِ فَكَأَنَّمَا قَتَلَ النَّاسَ جَمِيعًا وَمَنْ أَحْيَاهَا فَكَأَنَّمَا أَحْيَا النَّاسَ جَمِيعًا وَلَقَدْ جَاءَتْهُمْ رُسُلُنَا بِالْبَيِّنَاتِ ثُمَّ إِنَّ كَثِيرًا مِنْهُمْ بَعْدَ ذَلِكَ فِي الْأَرْضِ لَمُسْرِفُونَ
On that account: We ordained for the Children of Israel that if anyone slew a person - unless it be for murder or for spreading mischief in the land - it would be as if he slew the whole people: and if any one saved a life, it would be as if he saved the life of the whole people. Then although there came to them Our Messengers with Clear Signs, Yet, even after that, many of them continued to commit excesses in the land.

Now... back to our discussion...

MIAW

Greetings MIAW,

I love what you write.  We could be kindred spirits.  I have written words so very similar to yours many times in the past... encouraging people to see people as individuals, not as groups or subsets.  Thumbs%20Up
and like you, I have gained valuable lessons from my interactions with muslims, and I am always conscious to pass that knowledge on when I can, in speaking with others.  When people comment on my politeness, I tell them, 'I learned that from my muslim friends'.  Smile   (I have also had some very negative interactions with muslims, but as you say... individuals.  I work always towards peace and friendship. Smile )
Sadly I have also seen children being taught hatred in too many parts of the world, and this not only saddens, but sickens me... to see the innocence of childhood stripped away.  Where small children are taught to wield weapons.  (literally)  This is an abuse of children and of childhood, and the adult which can not see this... i.e., the adult that treats children in this way.... is blinded by evil.  Children are so easily molded and adults should protect their innocence.  (sorry, got on a bit of a soapbox there Smile )
I appreciate you.

asalaam alaykum,
Caringheart

Let us seek Truth together
Blessed be God forever
"I believe in Jesus as I believe in the sun... not because I see it, but because by it, I see everything else.: - C.S.Lewis
airmano View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote airmano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 February 2018 at 10:34am
Quote Miaw:
Now� I have a small question/mental exercise for you airmano:   
The same God has sent us the same message repeatedly. However, He Decided to protect the Qur�an from tampering and altering, but not the earlier messages (Bible, Torah�etc). Do you know why?

Answer: Yes I do, but the truth may be too unpleasent.

To soften it, may I (again) answer with a counter question ?

Assuming that God (really) tried to send the same message in all the books you quoted:

Can you explain me why God didn't manage to protect the first message(s) (Thorah/Bible) ? Can't he get the job right in one single attempt ?

Airmano

Edited by airmano - 03 February 2018 at 10:42am
The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses (Albert Einstein 1954, in his "Gods Letter")
asep garut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asep garut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2018 at 6:32am
Originally posted by Caringheart Caringheart wrote:

Originally posted by asep garut asep garut wrote:

Dear Carringheart,

Perhaps what you claim is because you see some Muslims behavior today, for example radicalism, Though the Prophet Muhammad never told his followers to behave like that.

Narrated by Bukhari and Muslim:

"Whoever believes in Allah and the Hereafter, do not harm his neighbor, and whoever believes in Allah and the Hereafter, honor his neighbors, and whoever believes in Allah and the Hereafter, speak good words or be quiet. "

Narrated by Muslim:

"It is not a believer if he likes to denounce, curse, talk vile and talk dirty."

Such hadiths have similar meaning to the word of Allah in Qur'an 3:159 and 60:8 etc.

Therefore, Allah commands to be an Islamic as a whole as in His word (not partially).

Especially in connection with the hadiths, not all of the current hadiths must be followed (it must be selected first about the truth), because there are so many hadiths scattered on this earth made by those who are not responsible who deliberately want to undermine the teachings of Islam and dropped the good name of the Prophet Muhammad.

Greetings asep garut,
My impressions and conclusions come directly from reading the qur'an.
I understand that there were good leaders who took only the best of what Muhammad taught.  The trouble with Muhammad's message is that it is convoluted, it is conflicting with its own self.  His message changed according to whatever was happening at the time.

Here is an example right here:
60:9 Allah forbiddeth you only those who warred against you on account of religion and have driven you out from your homes and helped to drive you out, that ye make friends of them. Whosoever maketh friends of them - (All) such are wrong- doers.

It essentially is saying that anyone that does not agree with your religion (anyone that has fought against, or refused to accept it), you can not be friends with them.  It denies people the free-will to choose their destiny... to choose whom they can trust and be friends with.

Obviously anyone who declared war against you for any reason you would not consider a friend... that would go without saying,

but Muhammad is making a point here about not taking friends of anyone who does not share your religion, and that is a clear denial of people as individuals with their own free will to be good and trustworthy people or not, of which there exists both in any religion, in any culture, in any part of the world.

Peace and blessings to you,
Caringheart

Caringheart,

It's true that 60: 9 states so, but here it must be known also about revealing of such verse, what's going on at that time.

You said �It essentially is saying that anyone that does not agree with your religion (anyone that has fought against, or refused to accept it), you can not be friends with them.  It denies people the free-will to choose their destiny... to choose whom they can trust and be friends with.�
Not like that, the teachings of Prophet Muhammad is rahmatan lil 'alamiin, of course the word of 'Rahmah (grace)' itself is a goodness. Prophet Muhammad and his people were only commanded to convey the religion of Allah with great wisdom, and after that all returned to the power of Allah who has guidance (Hidayah), as in the word of Allah 16: 125 and other verses.

asep garut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asep garut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2018 at 6:57am
Originally posted by airmano airmano wrote:

@Asep

You're the first Muslim I see who puts the Hadiths above the Quran !?

Isn't the Quran considered as the direct word of God in Islam ?
How come that Muhammad's personal opinion should weigh more than God's word ?

Can you explain ?

Airmano

Airmano,

For me it's okay if you want to say that I am the first Muslim you see who put the Hadith above the Quran.

But I personally since childhood has been told by my parents that the main source of Islamic law is the Qur'an and then the Sahih Hadith.

One of the differences between the Qur'an and the hadith is: Qur'an is authentic in its contents, whereas the hadith is not all authentic.

Therefore, what I said that such hadith has similarity with the content in the Qur'an, it means that the hadith is sahih ... because the "matan" (content) of the hadith has a similarity in its meaning.

Pete View Drop Down
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2018 at 4:52am
Its phrases like that which make me question a religion. There's no reasoning to them whatsoever. Its quite false to claim that a Jew is or isn't a friend to someone because of their religion. It's the same with Muslims and Christians too. In those days when I was a Christian I never felt like I could be more of a friend to a Jew than to a Christian. There has never been a reason to. I can understand that whoever said that (Mohammed?) was speaking about the Jews and Christians who were present at the time it was said but times change. I doubt that most Christians and Jews have negative feelings about Muslims. However there are plenty of evil people in the world who hate for no valid reason other than someone being different than them.

I suggest that any religious text be taken in the context of the time in which it was written.
DavidC View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male Christian
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2018 at 10:33pm
Originally posted by Pete Pete wrote:

Its phrases like that which make me question a religion. There's no reasoning to them whatsoever. Its quite false to claim that a Jew is or isn't a friend to someone because of their religion. It's the same with Muslims and Christians too. In those days when I was a Christian I never felt like I could be more of a friend to a Jew than to a Christian. There has never been a reason to. I can understand that whoever said that (Mohammed?) was speaking about the Jews and Christians who were present at the time it was said but times change. I doubt that most Christians and Jews have negative feelings about Muslims. However there are plenty of evil people in the world who hate for no valid reason other than someone being different than them.

I suggest that any religious text be taken in the context of the time in which it was written.

My translation reads ally, not friend. Muhummad had a Christian uncle and a Christian wife, and they appear to have been friends. Muhummad did not allow Christians and Jews to fight, but he did protect them.

Pete is right. Any text should taken in context and read carefully. The usually several sentences make up a fully formed thought, and these often have a common theme.
Christian; Wesleyan M.Div.
debatedebate View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote debatedebate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2018 at 3:21am
Originally posted by Pete Pete wrote:

My translation reads ally.....

This is Mushin Khan translation. The word Auliya also appear in 9:23.

O you who believe! Take not the Jews and the Christians as Auliya' (friends, protectors, helpers, etc.), they are but Auliya' to one another. And if any amongst you takes them as Auliya', then surely he is one of them. Verily, Allah guides not those people who are the Zalimun (polytheists and wrong-doers and unjust).
(Quran 5 51)

O you who believe! Take not for Auliya' (friends, protectors, helpers, etc.) your fathers and your brothers if they prefer disbelief to Belief. And whoever of you does so, then he is one of the Zalimun (wrong-doers, etc.) (Qur'an 9:23)
ovibos View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ovibos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2018 at 8:03pm
Please allow me to weigh in ....

Originally posted by 2Acts 2Acts wrote:

This just proves Mohamad and the Quaran were and are confused. The Quaran says "... question those who read the Scripture (that was) before thee." ( Surah 10:94) but yet the Injel (Gospels) contradict the Quran.
And where is your proof the Christian scriptures were tampered with and corrupted? Who did this? when? where ? and why? Please provide proof ! I can prove the Christian scriptures we have today are the same that existed long before Mohamad was ever born.   

Most Jews and Christians believe that the Pentateuch (the Torah) is written by Moses, and most Christians believe that the Gospel is the authentic words of Jesus. But that is not correct.

Most scholars believe that Pentateuch is written by at least five different authors that they call as J, E, P, D, and R, and the Pentateuch reached its final form (like we have today) around 400 B.C.

What makes scholars think that the Pentateuch is not written by Moses, but by five different authors instead?
1. The different name of God, especially before the Exodus, where J calls God with the tetragrammaton, while E and P call God by Elohim
2. The doublets: stories that written twice or more in the Pentateuch, for example Abraham's wife/sister story, the water in Massah and Meribah story. the quails (Exodus 16 v Numbers 11), etc.
3. The most humble person in the world is unlikely to state that he is the most humble person in the world. (Numbers 12:3)
4. Moses is very unlikely wrote about his own death

What is the proof that the Torah has been tampered?
Both Protestants and Catholics believe in the Ten Commandments, but they differ on the number of the order where Protestants believe the second commandment is "Do not make any graven image" while Catholics believe that it's part of the first commandment (Do no have any other gods except Him). On the other hand, the Catholics break down the last commandment of the Protestants'version into two different commandments. 
Which one is right, the Catholic or the Protestant?
In my opinion, the Catholics might be right when they combine the first and the second commandment into one, that is: "You shall not have other gods before Me, You shall not make any graven image etc". However, that makes the Ten Commandments becomes Nine Commandments.
So, what is the Tenth Commandment?
Samaritan Pentateuch has this extra commandment. 

Besides Samaritan Pentateuch, the Shapira Manuscripts also has the Tenth Commandment. 
I have read the Shapira Manuscript, and in my opinion the Shapira Manuscript is more logical than the Deuteronomy that we have today. 

How about the Gospel? Are all words of Jesus in the Gospel really the words of Jesus? It's very unlikely.
For example: It is very unlikely that Jesus said this exact words: "And this is eternal life, that they may know You, the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom You have sent."

If Jesus really said this words, he likely to say those words as "And this is eternal life, that they may know You, the only true God, and me whom You have sent."

Moreover, we know that Jesus didn't speak Greek. Jesus spoke either Aramaic or Hebrew, or both, but not Greek. However, all Gospels are written in Greek, not Aramaic nor Hebrew. Except for the original gospel of Matthew that was written in Hebrew that Jerome calls it as "matthaei authenticum' or the original Matthew, but now it's long gone.

The Gospels that we know today are written in Greek around forty to seventy years after the death of Jesus, based on oral traditions. How accurate were these oral traditions? God only knows. 
Based on my experience, I only know that oral traditions are usually not that accurate. 

Is there any really authentic Gospel that contains the exact words of Jesus? Probably. The scholars call it as Q (the short for Quelle), that is the "gospel" that was used by Matthew and Luke as one of their sources when they wrote their own gospel.

In conclusion.  the Torah we know today might be very different from the Torah in the time of Moses, or even the Torah in the time of Samuel or David.
The Gospels we know today might be not the words of Jesus.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
  Share Topic