IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Culture & Community > Groups : Women (Sisters)
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Strange question about changing diapers  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Strange question about changing diapers

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 222dnallohc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Strange question about changing diapers
    Posted: 22 March 2006 at 1:24pm

Asalamu Alaikum,

I have a rather curious question about changing baby diapers.  My sister in law had a baby last summer and her mother has been staying with them since then.  Whenever my mother in law changes the baby's diaper, she takes the baby to the sink and washes her bottom with soap and water.  She makes my SIL do this as well.  If she changes 10 diapers a day, she washes the baby 10 times with soap and water. 

Is it me or is this really excessive?  Isn't using wet cloths/ baby wipes enough? 

Jenni View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2006 at 2:46pm
I think it is excessive, especially using that much soap on a baby. I used wipes and then sometimes with a big poop I would was the baby in the sink. Wipes contain water and aloe  vera so they aren't as drying as soap. Allmost everyone I know uses wipes and they are Muslim as well.Peace
You cant be a good muslim if you are not decent and have a cold heart. Be a decent and kind person and care for women and children and the elderly.
herjihad View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herjihad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2006 at 5:28pm

Bismillah,

For many people, that is what they are used to because that is what they grew up with.

Wet wipes are fine as long as they don't have strong chemicals, as Sister Jenni said.

But I use body gel shower gel instead of soap, and providing something like that might save babies bottom and make it healthier.  Because people are going to do things their way many times whether it makes sense or not.

Al-Hamdulillah (From a Married Muslimah) La Howla Wa La Quwata Illa BiLLah - There is no Effort or Power except with Allah's Will.
semar View Drop Down
Male Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote semar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2006 at 6:00pm

Salam,

Perhaps that excessive. But as long as nothing happen to the baby, we don't need to fight. Like herjihad said that her culture, the environment where she grew may requires to do that. Like in some places such as Malaysia, Indonesia, Singapore, that area so hot and humid, so the peoples over there take shower twice a day. Some American/European think this is too much. One of my friend that originally came from there told me that when the first time he came to the US, his roommate said "hi you take shower too much, wasting water".

Salam/Peace,

Semar

"We are people who do not eat until we are hungry and do not eat to our fill." (Prophet Muhammad PBUH)

"1/3 of your stomach for food, 1/3 for water, 1/3 for air"
amah View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2006 at 4:17am
I agree with all the sisters alhamdulillah. Water is sufficient to clean urine(read hadith below) and wet wipes have water so that is also ok Insha Allah....when my baby does the big job, only then i take him to the sink...

Narrated 'Aisha: A boy was brought to the Prophet to do Tahnik for him, but the boy urinated on him, whereupon the Prophet had water poured on the place of urine.  (Book #66, Hadith #377)

Narrated 'Aisha: The boys used to be brought to the Prophet and he used to invoke for Allah's blessing upon them. Once an infant was brought to him and it urinated on his clothes. He asked for water and poured it over the place of the urine and did not wash his clothes.  (Book #75, Hadith #366)

Allah is Sufficient as a Walee (Protector) and Allah is Sufficient as a Naseer (Helper).
(Surah An-Nisa, Chapter #4, Verse #45)
Jenni View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2006 at 8:38pm
My pediatrican said soap of any kind is not good at all for a babies skin other than giving a bath about 3 times a week. Soap can cause dry skin and exzema in a baby. After they have a bowell movement you can simply wash them with water. IT is not that smelly anyway like an older child and will just rinse off. Please people, don't soap up your newborn 5 or 6 times a day, thier skin will pay for it. Just use water and let thier bottom air dry.
You cant be a good muslim if you are not decent and have a cold heart. Be a decent and kind person and care for women and children and the elderly.
mariyah View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mariyah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2006 at 1:01am

Jazak'allah, we are talking about baby diapers and not adult diapers

"Every good deed is charity whether you come to your brother's assistance or just greet him with a smile.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic