IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Introduction: Who am I?
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Introduce Yourselves  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Introduce Yourselves

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 12>
Author
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 December 2008 at 12:31am
Hi Akhe. I was curious when you discovered Islam, how and why? I've only begun to explore it myself although I have read the Holy Quran all the way through once and am in the process of reading it again. I understand that doesn't make me a Muslim-- yet.
"If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything"-- DrDre
Akhe Abdullah View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Akhe Abdullah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2008 at 10:35am
Originally posted by Hunter Hunter wrote:

Hi Akhe. I was curious when you discovered Islam, how and why? I've only begun to explore it myself although I have read the Holy Quran all the way through once and am in the process of reading it again. I understand that doesn't make me a Muslim-- yet.
As salaamulaikum Brother Hunter.I came into the fold of AL Islam 15yrs ago.As a teenager growing up in a rough neighborhood.(I was apart of the stereotypical young black male) I got in some trouble and I was incarcerated.It was the best thing that ever happen to me.(now I am a respectable good Muslim man )A little before I got locked up I became interested in The Nation of Islam,(unorthodox teachings of Islam)I was rebelious and I had a hard time excepting just what ever someone would tell me (the law, American history and Christianity).So while incarcerated I attended Sunni Muslim services(what they called it)instead of Jumah,and there is where I learned about AL Islam(orthodox-universal Islam).As you may know it was a hard adjustment for me and my parents(relation) (example I talked to my mother today and she asked me was I still a Muslim.) ,because I am the only one that I know of out of 4 genarations.I truly wish there were no non-Muslims in my family.Shahada makes you Muslim.Saying and believing (La illaha ilAllah).following the Sunnah of Prophet Muhammed(Salalahu Allahi Wasalam)Preforming the obligatory prayers(Salat)Fasting(Rahmadan)Practising regular charity(Zakat)and making (Hajj)if you can.If you have the blesssing of Allah he will make anything happen for you.I might have gotten the order wrong,Im sure someone would correct me(Inshallah) but I told you nothing wrong.I try to keep it simple as possible.It was my pleasure talk to you Brother Hunter.Wa alaykum Salam    

Edited by Akhe Abdullah - 11 December 2008 at 11:03am
Hunter View Drop Down
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2008 at 1:11am
Hi again Akhe. I thank you for your thoughtful response and your patience. Islam as it's currently practiced is all new to me and I'm trying to learn. Your personal experience although different in some ways is also very similar to mine. My story is probably the poor white-trash version of yours. Like you, when I was younger I got myself into plenty of trouble with the law, at least in my case, substance abuse was behind most of it. I too was angry, although I often didn't understand why. Eventually, after an assault charge, the court system recomended that I attend AA meetings. AA recomended that if I wanted to remain clean and sober, I'd better find God. I did, and that was now over 16 yrs ago. Finding religion has taken me a lot longer, and I agree with you that it's hard when people (particularly family members) don't understand. I've said before, it's lonely to be alone in your beliefs. My wife calls this my "terrorist website". I wish more people could see Islam for what it really is. Here are my questions: In order to become Muslim, you take the shahada. I'm somewhat familiar with the term or at least I've read about it. It's basically a declaration of your beliefs. Can anyone perform this or does it have to be a Muslim cleric type person? Does it have to take place in a mosque? If one takes this vow, what's next, and what responsibilities has this person accepted? I guess that's enough questions out of me for now. Take care  Respectfully-- Hunter  
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Akhe Abdullah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2008 at 8:16am

Hi again Akhe. I thank you for your thoughtful response and your patience. Islam as it's currently practiced is all new to me and I'm trying to learn. Your personal experience although different in some ways is also very similar to mine. My story is probably the poor white-trash version of yours. Like you, when I was younger I got myself into plenty of trouble with the law, at least in my case, substance abuse was behind most of it. I too was angry, although I often didn't understand why. Eventually, after an assault charge, the court system recomended that I attend AA meetings. AA recomended that if I wanted to remain clean and sober, I'd better find God. I did, and that was now over 16 yrs ago. Finding religion has taken me a lot longer, and I agree with you that it's hard when people (particularly family members) don't understand. I've said before, it's lonely to be alone in your beliefs. My wife calls this my "terrorist website". I wish more people could see Islam for what it really is. Here are my questions: In order to become Muslim, you take the shahada. I'm somewhat familiar with the term or at least I've read about it. It's basically a declaration of your beliefs. Can anyone perform this or does it have to be a Muslim cleric type person? Does it have to take place in a mosque? If one takes this vow, what's next, and what responsibilities has this person accepted? I guess that's enough questions out of me for now. Take care� Respectfully-- Hunter �
As salaamulaikum Brother Hunter.The shahada is usually preformed at the Masjid,You would rather do it there,where you would be amongst others who would become your brothers in faith(Akh).If you believe in your heart that, There is no Allah (God )but Allah (God)then say it alone and Allah understands.Islam is the most beautiful way of life(deen).Have you ever been to a Mosque?If not you should, because you need to get a better understanding.In my city we have Sunday congragations(Talim)for new Muslims or people who are non-Muslims,who are trying to get an understanding of Islam.Try not to let this overwhelm you(Inshallah).I have written a post about this,this is an Islamic forum even though there are other faiths,We greet each other with the most beautiful greeting As salaamulaikum.By the way Prophet Muhammed (SAW) say when one converts to Islam all there previous sins are forgiven."(AllahuAkbar)"

Edited by Akhe Abdullah - 13 December 2008 at 8:20am
Sign*Reader View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sign*Reader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2008 at 2:39pm
Originally posted by umm ibrahim umm ibrahim wrote:

sallam wa alikum! my name is umm ibrahim. look. i really need to get to the point. forgive me. but i am in a great state of confussion. i am really loosing my love for islam. i am married to a great brother and have two beautiful children but i am finding the deen too hard to follow
What part is hard? Explain!
 and i can not get over how much i have sinned.
What kind of sins?
 i have a terrible relationship eith my parents and they remind me of this all the time!
were you a brat or drugs or others that they are aware of?

i have a bad temper and i am begining to recent my husbond and children.
You may need to see a doctor.... may be there is some chemical imbalance that is driving you nuts! May be mid life crises what is your date of birth?
 i want to leave islam, run away from everyone and live a free life. please help me!!!
When people are stressed their eman suffers, it is normal but then it is eman that brings them out of the hole they were in!
There is old saying when in a hole just stop digging( cuz you will go even deeper) try to relax and think each problem and make a priority list into critical and non critical and work on them...right them down and a time line to solve them one by one
There is no
Shangri-La any more every one has problems no matter where you go and every thing breaks down so when you are sick you go to doctor when the car breaks down you take it to a mechanic, nothing is free!
How old are your children?

i was once so at peace with islam! help me!!!!
Kismet Domino: Faith/Courage/Liberty/Abundance/Selfishness/Immorality/Apathy/Bondage or extinction.
Hunter View Drop Down
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2008 at 1:43am
Hi Akhe  As salaamulaikum  No, I've never been to a mosque. After I figured out that Islam fit my belief system, I began reading the local newspapers to see what was offered for religious services in my area. There doesn't seem to be anything but Jewish and Christian services up here in the sticks of southern Vermont. It was this frustration that led me to this website forum to begin with. The mosque locator on this website came up with about 100 mosques for NY city, but really nothing closer than that. For now, this forum is it until I can figure something out. That's why I'm picking your brain in here. And the reason I'm picking your brain in here and not someone else's is because you're friendly and approachable, you explain things well without over complicating them or getting too "preachy", and you don't make me feel st**id for asking dumb questions. It really is frustrating for me to not be able to connect with other people who have the same beliefs. Inshallah something will happen eventually to change that. Again, I thank you for your paitience, advice and kind words. It really has meant a lot to be able to talk with you-- Hunter
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Akhe Abdullah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 December 2008 at 5:18am

Hi Akhe� As salaamulaikum� No, I've never been to a mosque. After I figured out that Islam fit my belief system, I began reading the local newspapers to see what was offered for religious services in my area. There doesn't seem to be anything but Jewish and Christian services up here in the sticks of southern Vermont. It was this frustration that led me to this website forum to begin with. The mosque locator on this website came up with about 100 mosques for NY city, but really nothing closer than that. For now, this forum is it until I can figure something out. That's why I'm picking your brain in here. And the reason I'm picking your brain in here and not someone else's is because you're friendly and approachable, you explain things well without over complicating them or getting too "preachy", and you don't make me feel st**id for asking dumb questions. It really is frustrating for me to not be able to connect with other people who have the same beliefs. Inshallah something will happen eventually to change that. Again, I thank you for your paitience, advice and kind words. It really has meant a lot to be able to talk with you-- Hunter
Wa-u-laikum Salam Brother Hunter.I thank you for you remarks.Its a blessing from Allah.I have come a long way to get where I am and I am still striving,still,learning.I know that coming into Islam is a transition.It can be alot to comprehend,and I learned from a patient Imam and I tend to practice the same way.Im wondering,Where or who did you get your Qur'an from?Do you Know how to preform Salat(prayer) yet?If yes you will be fine(Inshallah).If not, Im not sure if you know that there is a website for that.I pray that Allah will lead you to the straight path(Ameen).May Allah also bless you and you're family(Ameen)    
Hunter View Drop Down
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 December 2008 at 11:18pm
Hello Akhe As salaamulaikum  It's true that we do tend to teach in the way that we were taught. That being the case, please do me a favor and thank your Imam for me and give him my best regards. Inshallah, some day I look foreward to passing on to someone else what you've taught me. To answer your question about how I got ahold of the Holy Quran is an interesting one. It also contains the answer to how I discovered Islam in the first place. After 9-11, like many Americans, I felt that the obvious evil that caused this must be Islam itself. However, I've never been one to take anyone else's word for anything-- I'm naturally stubborn, as I'm sure you'll eventually discover. I figured I'd find out for myself. The Quran itself seemed to be the most obvious source of this evil. Off I went to Borders and purchased the cheepest copy they had. Cost me five bucks. I had no intention of keeping it. I'd sit down, prove to myself what I thought I already knew: roses are red, grass is green, the sky is blue, and Islam is evil. I planned to then toss the offending Quran either in the woodstove or the trash and go on about my merry way. I'm ashamed to say it now, but that was the attitude I had when I sat down to read that book. I was in for what has been the biggest shock of my life. Instead of hatred and violence, I read about beauty, forgiveness and compassion. Racial equality and tolerance of other religions. I was so completely and utterly shocked! I couldn't put the book down, and looked foreward to reading it every day. I read the entire Quran in less than two weeks-- every word. My words can't begin to do justice, describing how I felt, or what went on inside me when I read it; I won't even try. Instead of tossing out the origional one (I still have it), I went back to Borders and bought the nice copy they had. It isn't leather or anything, but its a nicely bound hard-cover book with gold-guilded pages. Its become one of my most prized possessions. I've read many books in my life, but none that contained this much raw power or changed my life so profoundly. I've been trying to learn everything I can about Islam ever since. As for the prayers, I'm ashamed to admit I don't know any of the traditional Muslim prayers. Maybe you could teach me one or two, first in english so that I can understand what I'm saying. I think I've faithfully answered all your question, or all of them that I can remember anyhow. I've definately babled on endlessly so I'll stop now. Take good care Akhe  Respectfully-- Hunter   
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 12>
  Share Topic