IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Quran & Sunnah
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - On the conciseness of the Qur’an  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

On the conciseness of the Qur’an

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: On the conciseness of the Qur’an
    Posted: 13 March 2006 at 12:54pm
I have always been amazed by how concise the language of the Qur'an is. One of the first times I noticed this was when I was reading a discussion somewhere about Baqara 2:

thalika al-kitabu la raiba fi ha hudan lil-mutaqeen

This verse has two possible interpretations: "This is the book, without doubt; in it is a guide for the pious" or "This is the book, there is no doubt within it; a guide for the pious."

I was reading about the relative arguments for supporting one interpretation over the other, when I realized that both interpretations are correct. The verse is structured specifically so two different ideas can be expressed in one sentence.

There are many other examples of the Qur'an's concise use of language. One other I have always particularly loved is in Al-Shams:

kaththabu ath-thamudu biTaghwaha
The Thamud rejected with insolence

itha anba'atha 'ashqaha
When their most wretched one was put forward

faqala lahum rasulullahi naqatallahi wa suqyaha
Then the Messenger of Allah said to them "the she-camel of Allah and her watering!"

fakaththabu fa'aqaruha fadamdama alaihim rabbuhum bithanbihim fasawaha
Then they rejected him and hamstrung her; then their Lord obliterated them for their sins and made them all equal

wa la yakhafu 'uqbaha
And He has no fear of the consequences

In five lines the entire story of the Thamud is related and the omnipotence of Allah subhanahu wa ta'ala is affirmed.
smanzoor View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smanzoor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2006 at 12:47pm

Dear Shamil

You may be interested in this article

Best Regards
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_
To prosper, promote your Muslim community
Clear Vision Pakistan
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic