IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Introduction: Who am I?
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - I'm new here, a little about me.  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

I'm new here, a little about me.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Starter.
Starter.

Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Victoria Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I'm new here, a little about me.
    Posted: 13 August 2017 at 3:27pm
Assalamu Alaikum everyone!
Why am I here. Well, I am here to learn from you all, I need to learn a lot. I mean we should always be learning, but there are many that know a lot more than I that I hope to learn from. I found this from my own research online, I've known no one that has gotten on here.
So a little introduction. I live in Tampa Florida USA with a cat and a guide dog. I am visually impaired, been basically blind from birth. I see light and shadows. I'm originally from the state of Michigan, and have lived in Florida for nearly 7 years.
My interests include, reading, I love learning about history and pay attention to current events. I like MLB baseball, NFL football, walking.
Now some about where Islam is and has been in my life. I must say I'm really nervous to send this. The writing of course is not the part I'm fretting over, it's sending it. When people see it, well, it's important, it needs to be done, I need to reach out to other Muslims, so here we go!
I reverted to Islam in 2001, not long after 9-11. I can't remember the exact date, although I wish I did remember it, but I didn't keep in my mind exactly the day I said the Shahata. I remained Muslim for a little over 6 years, but I think due to a lack of support and things, I left it unfortunately. Now, I am not giving myself excuses, I wish now I'd not given up on my beliefs due to a lack of support and whatever reasons I did it, but I did, that is what I think lead me to do it, but it does not mean I should have done it, and that I excuse myself for doing it. We're all human, none of us perfect, and this was something I did.
I won't get all into that situation right now, it's not important, but I will say that with even that lack of support, I met some wonderful Muslims. I do not blame them for what happened to me. I can't say it didn't hurt some, but it is my fault, I take full responsibility for the choice I made. It has taught me that no matter how much support I think I am getting, I have to be strong. Maybe a lesson I was supposed to get, but none the less one I obviously had to learn. It makes me feel st**id, ashamed of myself, but there you go, here I am.
I don't have a very dramatic story as to how I came back to Islam this time. I've always been a current events buff. I have had an extreme love of the Middle East since I was a young girl, not sure why, well I know it was given to me by God. I use to pay a lot of attention to current events and always knew what was going on the best I could find out from American media, well some European media, too. When I left Islam I stayed away from the news, I know now it was likely my fear that hearing what was going on would make me think of what I had done more, so if I stayed away from it, I didn't have to think about it. For those years I was away from it, those 10 years, I rarely read the news. That was very unlike me, and even drew some wondering questions from friends of mine, like why aren't you reading news and things.
This would all change for me over 6 months ago. I got on twitter in January and was looking up things having to do with the war in Syria. As I began reading about Syria, I started thinking about Islam. Just out of the blue, I had no clue it was going to come on me, and wouldn't' have wanted it to at the time. But God brought it to me, and I began doing some serious reading. Even reading Quran, of course I am not an Arabic reader so had to read it from English translation. I realized that I had made a serious mistake, and came back to this path. Thing is, I am a lot more nervous this time. My family was very supportive the first time, and I expect they should be this time, but for some reason, maybe because I'm older, maybe I fear reactions more this time, I don't know. But, I don't' speak to many Muslims now. I have one friend that is an American Muslim that I talk too some, she's it right now.
So it's starting over, I know I need to wear different things than I do now, but getting out to get them is a little hard for me not being a driving person than some. But, InshaAllah I'll get there. But this time I feel a lot more anxiety over it all. Maybe that's a good thing, because it means I'm taking it seriously, but I won't say I didn't the first time either. Just different this time. Maybe partly because of the fact I feel st**id for leaving the religion in the first place, I don't know.
So I got that off of my chest. I thought I'd tell a little about me, and tell this. I hope you're all having a wonderful day where ever you are!
semar View Drop Down
Male Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote semar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 August 2017 at 6:18am
Wa alaikum salam,
Welcome to IC forum, and welcome back to Islam, may God almighty help and gudie you all the way. May God almighty bless us all. Aamiin.
Salam/Peace,

Semar

"We are people who do not eat until we are hungry and do not eat to our fill." (Prophet Muhammad PBUH)

"1/3 of your stomach for food, 1/3 for water, 1/3 for air"
abuayisha View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Muslim
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abuayisha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 August 2017 at 9:52am
Salaams,and welcome Vicky.

musliman View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Male Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote musliman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 September 2017 at 2:31am
Welcome back to Islam, Victoria!
Allahu Akbar
translationco View Drop Down
Starter.
Starter.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote translationco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 October 2017 at 4:27am
wa alaikum salam brother,

I am a new convert and learning Islam for my day to day life. The best way to learn Islam is to read Quran with the understandings.

If you become confuse with some verses and not able to understand than you need to ask particularity about it from scholars.

This is the best method working for me.
rollinsonphilip View Drop Down
Starter.
Starter.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rollinsonphilip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 October 2017 at 8:17am
hello nice to meet you :D
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic