IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Islam for non-Muslims
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Misplaced Arab looking for knowledge  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Misplaced Arab looking for knowledge

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sane Centrist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Misplaced Arab looking for knowledge
    Posted: 11 July 2017 at 10:35am
As-Salaam-Alaikum beautiful people�.

The title to this post is pretty self-explanatory but I�d like to explain better.

I am of Moroccan (on my mother�s side) & Syrian (on my father�s side) ancestry.

I was born & raised here in the states (in Jersey to be specific) and I was given a typical English name.

My family lineage, how we came to be here, why I don�t speak Arabic fluently, and why I�m not already a Muslim is extremely complicated so I don�t want to go into all of that now. (it would take forever to explain)

I�ve traveled back home to Morocco several times visiting the family that�s still there, and after giving this a lot of thought for a long time, I feel the need to complete this re-connection to my roots by possibly taking up the faith of Islam.

Whatever I practiced before or whatever I did in the past isn�t important. What�s important for me now is to connect to my people.

My goal is to be authentic in my travels, conversations, and interactions with all peoples from the same part of the world that my family came from. (my Arabic has come a long way)

Also, I am completely disgusted with the rise in hate crimes where Muslims are targeted, and I want to do as much as I can inside & outside of Muslim communities to help.

The logical side of brain keeps telling me that step one in accomplishing this would be to learn as much as I can about Islam (on top of what I already know) and dive in (so to speak).

As I travel this road, I�ll need some guidance & focus on what to study.

There are hundreds of books & texts on this subject, and after researching for weeks I�m dizzy with everything that�s out there.

I recently purchased: �Islam and Democracy� by Fatima Mernissi, but I am open to any other suggestions any of you may have.

Everything written was with full respect, and I await your replies��..Shokran�..   
NABA View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NABA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2017 at 2:51am
Walecum As salaam brother,I suggest you to read Quran in English translation and lifestyle of Prophet Muhammad Saw (pbuh),when you read Quran,you will know how Allah had take care of each and every minute aspect of our life,as expected he is our creator and he knows us well than ourselves,like eg we deal with our parents casually,but Allah in ch 17 v 23-24 of Quran says worship only Allah there is nothing like him and when one of your parents or both of them become old be good to them, don't backfire at them always deal with humility you should not utter even ooff to them and pray to Lord to shower mercy on them as they raised you when I was in my childhood
Sane Centrist View Drop Down
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sane Centrist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2017 at 7:26pm
Shokran brother......

I will take your advice very seriously, and put 100% of my concentration into this.

I appreciate the time you took to reply, and I thank you very much.

Tim the plumber View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim the plumber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2017 at 2:01am
Are you after an identity for yourself or a guide to ethics?
Sane Centrist View Drop Down
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sane Centrist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 August 2017 at 2:26pm
Not so much an identity as I am very secure within myself.

I would say a guide for ethics or a guide for more understanding of structure would best describe what I'm looking for.

I have three texts that I'm presently reading:

1. The Quran
2. "Islam and Democracy, Fear of the Modern World" written by Fatima Mernissi
3. "The Quran, Basic Teachings" written by: Thomas Ballantine Irving, Khurshid Ahmad, Muhammad Manazir Ahsan
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic