Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin  Old ForumOld Forum  Twitter  Facebook
Advertisement:

General Discussion
 IslamiCity Forum - Islamic Discussion Forum : General : General Discussion  
Message Icon Topic: Helping Outsiders of Islam Understand You Post Reply Post New Topic
tdanielle0929
Female Christian
Starter.
Starter.

Online Status: Offline
Quote tdanielle0929 Replybullet Topic: Helping Outsiders of Islam Understand You
    Posted: 19 May 2017 at 10:24am
Hello everyone! I am an outsider of the Islamic religion, and there is a lot that I would like to understand and learn about it. As a graduate counseling program student in the United States, I would like help understanding your worldview. If anyone willing could shed some light on ANY of the following questions for me I would be greatly, GREATLY appreciative. Be honest and feel free to say what is on your mind, but only answer those you feel comfortable answering.

1.) Do you currently reside in the U.S.? If so, how do you feel being part of a minority religion in this country?

2.) How has your religion and/or ethnicity played a role in your cultural identity? How do you see yourself in relation to other cultures/religions, for example, conservative Christian middle-class White culture?

3.) When you think of mainstream psychotherapy and counseling, what comes to mind...positive or negative associations? Why?

4.) What do you personally think of general outsiders who do not understand your religion or may misinterpret your beliefs with Islamophobia? If you could tell them something, what would you say?

5.) If you were to ever seek counseling, how would you feel in approaching your counselor who may have different views from your own?

Again, insight into ANY of these questions would help me greatly, as I am seeking to understand this for a multicultural class I am taking, and most importantly, I want to be able to best meet the needs of future clients who identify with the Islamic religion. Thank you!
IP IP Logged
abuayisha

Senior  Member

Online Status: Offline
Quote abuayisha Replybullet Posted: 20 May 2017 at 7:40am
1. Yes, I live in America. Because I am able to freely and openly practice my faith, being a part of a minority religion isn't an issue. Furthermore, Islam is a continuation and perfection of the dominant religion in US. We are brothers in faith.

2. I completely identify myself as an American, however America, not unlike many other lands, is color conscious. Skin tone can impact opportunity and even safety to a lesser degree.

3. Total ambivalence. On the one hand, I think junk science, however I do appreciate the profound benifit a good counselor can have on a person's life.

4. I think that if I were in their shoes I'd likely be an Isamophobe as well. I believe once people personally know a Muslim family or co-worker their opinion of Islam and Muslims are more favorable. I would suggest they read "Muhammad: A Prophet For Our Time", by Karen Armstrong, or at least view her Ted Talk: "My wish: The Charter for Compassion".

5. Well given a choice I would select a counselor who shared my cultural and religious background. If I didn't have a choice I simply think it would take more secessions before we could make sustained progress.

I indeed wish you all the best, and welcome!
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version