IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Interfaith Dialogue
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - hi. i come in peace.  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

hi. i come in peace.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Starter.
Starter.
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theangrycanary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: hi. i come in peace.
    Posted: 06 February 2017 at 11:29pm
hi. i am a man who voted for donald trump. living in texas. my family believes that i am racist for some of my views and it has created a rift for me. They have told me that I am mistaken in my beliefs about islam.

So I am here to try and learn from actual muslims. I thought I posted this in the general forum. Maybe it was erased. Maybe, these kinds of posts are not allowed on this forum. But I am open minded and I truly wish to learn.

My beliefs are...

that most muslims believe

- there should be laws banning homosexuality and banning homosexual marriage
- abortion should be outlawed
- sharia law should come before national secular laws
- women are not equal to men

My friends and family have told me that none of this is true. And that most muslims coming to america are more 'open minded' about such things.

So am I wrong?

Ironically, I am straight non-white male. If America became a muslim nation and sharia law was imposed, I would probably end up benefitting.   

airmano View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote airmano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 February 2017 at 2:22pm
@
Quote hi. i am a man who voted for donald trump.
Condolences
---------------------------------------------------------
Quote living in texas

That goes without saying...
Quote But I am open minded and I truly wish to learn.
I truly appreciate your curiosity (no kidding this time)
Quote My beliefs are...

that most muslims believe...
The way you pose the questions/points you will probably get a confirmation of your (pre ?)judgement (well, about 'abortion' most Muslims are probably more relaxed than most of the american evangelists).
When you talk about "muslims coming to america" the point is not necessarily their belief system but how well (or badly) Muslims integrate into your society.
What most of the people in the west see in their fear of "sharia" is the (possible) influence Muslims may take on their lifestyle or even a "hostile takeover". (Just to be clear: the last thing I personally want is to live under medieval sharia laws).
Fact is that many if not most of the Muslims coming to America turn away from religion, to the point that the well regarded (at least in the Muslim world) convert Jeffrey Lang (assistant professor in Mathematics in the US) wrote the book: "Losing My Religion: A Call For Help" where he deplores the number of Muslims in the US turning away from Islam.

In a nutshell, what is often forgotten is the influence 'we'-"The West" have on Muslim world.
In America you have about 1% of the population being Muslim do you really think this poses a thread ? The other way round "the threat" is much bigger: of course do Muslims see the failure of (most of) their states. Of course do they realize that they are economically and intellectually left behind and the frustration that comes with it is probably one of the reasons if not the main reason for the violence we witness within the Muslim world ( I even see it as a symptom of disintegration). Locking the borders will not make this go away.

The only way to improve the situation (in my eyes) is to fight the nonsense that comes along with many aspects of Islam (as well as with Christianity) on an intellectual level:

Of course are the Quranic miracles bare nonsense, of course is the story of Mohameds trip to heaven (Mi'raj) a joke and of course is the Quran prickled with errors and sure are there no 72 virgins in heaven for every jihadi.

But equally: Can it get any sillier than the American born Mormonic belief ? Why can no Christian explain in one or two sentences what "Trinity" really means ?
Why can't Christians admit that the old Testament is a succession of inhuman and disgusting horror stories, worse than the Quran ?
So if you look at my posts you will see that I don't spare Islam of criticism, but this doesn't make me blind to the contradictions "our" culture has produced and keeps on producing.

Airmano

Edited by airmano - 08 February 2017 at 2:38pm
The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses (Albert Einstein 1954, in his "Gods Letter")
NABA View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NABA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 February 2017 at 10:44pm
Islam forbids only those things that are harmful to human,eg homosexuality,which leads to AIDS,Kaposi sarcoma etc,Allah forbids alcohol which is root to many evils.Women are equal to men in Islam,as mentioned in ch 16 v 97 of Quran
DavidC View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male Christian
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 February 2017 at 9:21am
I think Islam permits abortion until the heartbeat can be discerned. Correct?

Edited by DavidC - 15 February 2017 at 9:22am
Christian; Wesleyan M.Div.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic