IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > General Islamic Matter
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - My father gave me a name that doesn't include his  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

My father gave me a name that doesn't include his

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Starter.
Starter.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aslamtu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My father gave me a name that doesn't include his
    Posted: 21 November 2016 at 9:21am
So here is the format of my name:

mdl. name | given name | family name

As you can see none of them include my fathers name. This is exactly how my father named me. Is it obliged upon me to make my name include my fathers?

Thank you.
semar View Drop Down
Male Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote semar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2016 at 9:25pm
Salam,

Regarding name, in islam there is no obligation to take your father's name or anybody's name.

The only ruling about name is, it should not has a bad meaning. The prophet SAW had changed one of his companion's name, because the meanining of his name was "devil".

Edited by semar - 21 November 2016 at 9:36pm
Salam/Peace,

Semar

"We are people who do not eat until we are hungry and do not eat to our fill." (Prophet Muhammad PBUH)

"1/3 of your stomach for food, 1/3 for water, 1/3 for air"
abuayisha View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Muslim
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abuayisha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 November 2016 at 8:15am
Islam places a very high value upon maintaining family ties, and having the father's name is an important aspect of knowing and keeping family ties.
syed_z View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote syed_z Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2016 at 11:35pm
Asalaam o alaikum.

There is a difference of opinion on this. Some companions of the Prophet even used names other than their fathers or their family surnames and the Prophet (sallAllahu alaihi wassallam ) never forbade them from doing so.

Your last name is for identification purposes. If you go by your father's name well and good and if you go by your family surname then that is also perfectly fine.

The strict salafi interpretation says to keep father's name and no other whatsoever. However the Islamic scholars who do not adhere to that interpretation have given evidence from the life of the Companions to support their claim.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic