IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Islam for non-Muslims
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - When choosing a Muslim name what's more important?  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

When choosing a Muslim name what's more important?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Koopa39 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: When choosing a Muslim name what's more important?
    Posted: 02 November 2016 at 5:38am
Assalamu Alaykum,

When choosing a Muslim name, what is more important: the meaning/etymology of the name or the companions who had this name?

Are they equally important? Is one of them more important than the other? Is one of them unimportant?
asep48garut60 View Drop Down
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asep48garut60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 November 2016 at 4:51pm
Wa'alaikum salaam,

Many traditions were expressed about giving of Muslim names.
In my opinion, anyone who wants to name or change the name to select the name of a Muslim or not, to me it was not a major, like my name (asep), but I always try to run the Islamic Shariah as far as I can. Lots of my friends whose name was not the name of a Muslim but they are faithful to the teachings of Islam, and vice versa, I have encountered many people who have a Muslim name but his behavior is far deviated from the teachings of Islam.

In the case of names, the most important don't give it a bad name in meaning, so as to make him who has the name will be embarrassed or will be teased by someone else.
Had the names in accordance with Sunnah is good, but do not behave that does not correspond to the names in the Sunnah.
In my opinion is the most important thing from a Muslim that is: how obedience to execute all commands of Allah and away from what is forbidden by Allah.

Salaam,
Asep
seekshidayath View Drop Down
Female Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seekshidayath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 February 2017 at 4:34am
walaikumsalaam

Kindly go thru this link

https://islamqa.info/en/7180
Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) said: �All the descendants of Adam are sinners, and the best of sinners are those who repent."
imaginary View Drop Down
Starter.
Starter.
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imaginary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 October 2017 at 5:15am
Most important one is meaning of name I think.    Most of ppl use 99 names of Allah (JJ) but be carefull use this names. You should use after �Abdul�. Besides these days, ppl use names badly with each other ( swear each other etc.) so we shouldn�t use Prophet (SAV) name excatly. Because of this reason in ottoman we use Mehmet as a name   Sorry for my mistakes :)
adeeliqbal View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adeeliqbal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2017 at 1:41am
The first thing we must consider about name should be Islamic and meaningful. Islamic name means, the name of Allah and the name of Prophets etc. But, we should respect these names as well.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic