IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Science & Technology
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - The Science Illusion  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Science Illusion

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
Author
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asep48garut60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 October 2016 at 3:46pm
Dear Tim the plumber,

If so, anything that has happened or the history happened like what, obviously I believe in the word of Allah that at the time it happened a big flood.
Thank you.

Regards,
Asep
Tim the plumber View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim the plumber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 October 2016 at 5:30am
Originally posted by asep48garut60 asep48garut60 wrote:

Dear Tim the plumber,

If so, anything that has happened or the history happened like what, obviously I believe in the word of Allah that at the time it happened a big flood.
Thank you.

Regards,
Asep

I don't understand your reply.

Are you saying that there was a flood which covered all the world with Noah's arc landing on a mountain in what is now Turkey or something else?

Perhaps that there was a big flood and the story has grown in the telling?

Do you get that the world's surface says that there was never a world flood?

Quranexplorer View Drop Down
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quranexplorer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2016 at 11:22am
@Airmano

I can�t see any basis for your claim that a no-Creator based model will need lesser assumptions compared to a Creator based model. In fact a no-Creator based model will always have more assumptions as such a model leaves man with the onerous task to explain everything which clearly he is not capable of. I can give you many examples; here we go with a few:

-     What suggests universe can get self-created?

-     Why should the universes get self-created?

-     Why among the zillions of galaxies (self created??) one attained a special status (again by itself?)?

-     Why amongst the millions of normal stars, the solar system got chosen (again by itself?) with a provision of life in earth (again by itself?)?

-     Why after billions of years of earth�s existence it got decided (again by itself) to self create life on earth and from that moment this process of self creation got terminated by itself so that no human is able to witness this fantastic process?

-     Why the self created intelligence of humans have somehow fallen short of the self created intelligence of this self created universe so that humans are still left to look for answers with no success so far?

-     Why is it that whilst man is able to think and make choices about his life to some extent, he doesn�t have the absolute ability to carry out his will? For e.g. he cannot say I don�t want to die. � Why?

-     Why did life come in to existence?

-     Why man cannot create life?

-     Why man cannot stop death?

-     Why should the self created planets then get in to a self initiated, self sustained motion?

-     Why should the self created life then manifest itself in male-female pairs under various life forms?

-     Why do humans have a conscience?

-     Why is man the way he is? Why cannot he self design himself?

-     Why there are physical barriers in this self created universe that prevents man from carrying out his will?

-     Why there are predefined parameters that provide different set of skills to different people?

-      Why there are inequalities in the distribution of resources in this world?

-     Why is man unable to bridge all such inequalities?

-     Why is it that some people have to go through sufferings while some others seem to enjoy a better life and such disparities never get fully balanced in this world?

-     How was time created?

Originally posted by airmano airmano wrote:

Well, a pretty pointless sentence, may be I should nevertheless insist that assuming the existence of a creator is nothing more than a personal opinion either.
We can however decide which of the two is the more likely one by applying Occams razor and comparing the [number of] assumptions each of the two opposing points of view require.

The point is very relevant�Creator is a matter of choice and is clearly beyond the realm of an evidence based approach.

There is no basis to assume that a no-Creator based model will require less number of assumptions.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm delighted to see that you know how to google, but this was not my question. I asked what absolute guidance meant.

Come on! Don�t tell me you don't know how an adjective qualifies a noun. If you insist, "absolute" will qualify "guidance" with a standalone status--no need to look for other sources for guidance.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

IMHO, you got the right point here. If you had read my last post you'd find that I listed (some of) the assumptions you apply on a creator.

This is the core: How can you reasonably extrapolate, on the basis of a rather primitive book to a (probably) incomprehensible creator - if there is any at all.

Let me remind you: It is you who comes up with these assumptions (see my list above), not me ! .
It is as Einstein says in his gods letter: For me the Jewish religion like all other religions is an incarnation of the most childish superstitions.

The point is you still have to live with assumptions whether you accept or deny a Creator. So the fact that things remain beyond your comprehension cannot be a criterion while exercising the choice in the matter of a Creator.

Whereas it should be an eye opener for any thinking man that when his evidence based approach fails, he need to look for alternatives. And that�s where Quran comes in as a perfect fit, it clearly puts forward the case for a Creator based model and there is no credible reason to dispute that model till date, whereas all attempts by man to propose a no-Creator based model have been unsuccessful so far.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote And what is your criterion to accept the concept of everlasting physical laws...
As clearly explained: Occams razor.

But your model is not short of assumptions. In the scientific method, Occam's razor is not considered an irrefutable principle of logic or a scientific result; the preference for simplicity in the scientific method is based on the falsifiability criterion. (Occams razor wiki says so)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Before you showed me that you can google and now you've forgotten.

OK, I help you: "Full Definition of everlasting: lasting or enduring through all time : eternal"
If you still don't understand, may be the vexing question on how your creator came into existence helps.

As I have made clear in other discussions previously, my endorsement of the idea of an ultimate Creator is based on a faith based belief, that has the sound backing of a book that has withstood the test of time. And it would be foolish to think that the Creator who could create a universe that still remains beyond the capability of the best of human minds to explain has to be proved by an imperfect tool called science created by his imperfect creations.

But your model does not take in to account any such intelligence behind the whole creation, so why should something that you believe came in to existence without any intelligence behind it remain beyond human intelligence to explain?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you say God does (and has total power over) everything, isn't it logical to conclude that your God is killing innocent 2 years old children ?
Please tell me where my logical error is ! Simply saying he must have good reasons is far to cheap.

Let me summarize for you a beautiful narration from the holy Quran starting from 18:65. In this part Prophet Moses (pbuh) follows one of Allah�s slaves with an intention to learn from him. During their journey together, he damages a ship with no apparent reason, kills a boy with no apparent threat, and sets right a wall for free in spite of the people of the town treating them badly. On each of these occasions Prophet Moses (pbuh) is unable to comprehend his companion�s actions and he questions him. Obviously those actions do not make sense to any reasonable man. Then his companion explains each of his actions with reasons which obviously were not known to Prophet Moses (pbuh). The ship belonged to some poor people and there was a king who was coming to take all ships by force. So he in fact helped these poor people by making the ship unseaworthy in that instance. The lad was going to become an oppressor to his righteous parents, and it was intended to replace him with a better one for his parents. And in the town there were two orphan boys and there was a treasure beneath the wall belonging to them which was intended to be preserved until they reach their full strength.

So in a nutshell, the first point is that there are more to what eyes meet in many situations which could happen within the assigned term of this world. The second point is the concept of life after death, which forms one of the pillars of Islamic faith. For a true believer, nothing in this world is of more importance than his final success in the hereafter. And he has the assurance from Allah that no calamity befalls man except the knowledge of Allah (Quran 64:11) and no soul shall be wronged the least when the balance is set right on the day of judgement (21:47). So what reason is there for a believer to be concerned about the sufferings in this world?

In any case, does your denial of a Creator make any difference to such happenings?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

True, but fact is that 99% of the people chose their parents religion. Amazing isn't it ?

Is that the way you think truth has to be judged? For me once I am convinced of the choice it doesn�t matter what others do with their choice.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No, I think I clearly outlined why I disagree (simplicity of the model) and you did not even bother to react on my core logic (which would have been listing the points where my model needs additional assumptions compared to yours).

That�s exactly what you can find in the beginning.

A reasonable question. What I tried to say with this example is that you would probably accept to push back the responsability (of God) by one step. I.a.W you would probably agree that a mosquito transmitted the disease (in contrast to "God injecting plasmodium directly into the kids bloodstream"). You could go one step further: No, he didn't guide the mosquito, but he may have created plasmodium etc.

So, if you go for a creator, where do you stop: The point is the responsibility level ["why"] and intervention level ["how"] of a possible creator with respect to our world.

Allah has made the concept of this world very clear � that is the limited free will to humans for an appointed term. At the same time they do not have the full knowledge of the happenings in this world but Allah has. Whether man agrees with or not, he does not have the absolute ability to change certain happenings when such things happen. But Allah has given man the assurance that no soul will be wronged and a full recompense will be made to each soul.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On a scientific level: Certainly, i.e. on the way the universe came into existence.

On a moral level: If he exists the way you describe and doesn't stop the killing of the kid from happening I think I have all the right to call him irresponsible. Obviously he doesn't prevent it from happening.
So I can conclude that: Either he is not what you pretend he is (i.e. merciful), or he does simply not exist.
I guess your line of defense will be "How do you know that there isn't a deeper sense in it". Yes may be, but then be at least honest and admit that this is pure speculation.

On a scientific level a no-Creator model is only a speculation.

On a moral level, the 2 aspects of 1) there is more to it than meets the eye and 2) the full and final recompense on the day of judgement, explains any calamity that befalls man in this world.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

False, we do have a scientific line of reasoning! We do know how mosquitos spread the disease, we know quite a bit about Plasmodium. We also have an idea on how plasmodium evolved etc. Equally - as you have certainly seen from the links I posted- we also have theories that (may) explain how our universe came into existence - you have absolutely none which would merit the word "theory" i.e. in the sense of being testable.
Assuming the idea of a creator does also have a bearing in terms of responsibility. If you disagree, then please tell me why your god kills innocent babies. And once more: I think a non-answer of the type "he must have very good reasons" or "he saved the baby from later sins" is lightyears to cheap.

I have all respect to science for being able to answer a lot of how questions. But that doesn�t remove the fact that science cannot answer the �why� questions. Why should there be an occurrence of a mosquito bite that causes a child death, beyond man�s control?

What use is having theories to judge truth when theories have a proven track record of failures?

I have already answered the killing innocent babies scenario. Allah gives the assurance that nobody will be wronged in the overall judgement, but can anyone rejecting a Creator in this world give such an assurance?

You repeat what all other (2000) religions say with the exactly the same fervour.

... but let's give it a fair chance! To check the value and the universality of your book, I cite your own statement from the opening thread:

"For example, science is not capable of establishing scientific evidence either in support of a self-creating universe or counter to the idea of an ultimate Creator"

Since I gave you my line of reasoning, it is now your turn on this subject:

A) If God made the universe can your book tell me how he made it ?

Well, we all know that the Quran is not a science book, therefore my expectations to get a decent answer are rather low.

Coming to your question A: There are multiple references in the Quran (32:4, 10:3, 11:7, 25:59, 57:4, 50:38, and 7:54) about Allah having created the heavens and earth in 6 stages. If you are looking for a step by step explanation like in a science book, then my answer is I don�t know. But for me that is of no concern as I am looking for what is said in the Quran and whether that contradicts any known facts rather than worrying about things not said in the Quran�now that�s the proper way according to your Occams razor as well. Further, Allah says in 6:59 that the keys of secrets are with him and none knows them except He, which is a fact as none can figure out this universe completely even with a most advanced tool like science.

So may be your book can score better on the second question, since this one is of more philosophical nature and it explicitly targets the "purpose question" you claim the Quran is good in answering:

B) Can you tell me why god created the universe ?
Please be precise (and for once I'd like you to cite the relevant Quranic statements).
In case that your answer includes a "for us" can your book also explain why he made zillions of (in this case useless) galaxies (instead of our solar system only) and why he waited billions of years before he created us and his messenger ?

As you have asked for a Quranic reference that specifically provides the precise reason for creation of the �universe�, I must say I am not aware of one, and I am not too interested in pure speculation. There are multiple verses in Quran (21:16, 38:27 and 3:191) that says Allah did not create the earth and heavens in vain.
airmano View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote airmano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2016 at 3:56pm
@QE
Quote I can�t see any basis for your claim that a no-Creator based model will need lesser assumptions compared to a Creator based model.
I gave you (some of) my reasons, they were in my initial list to which you never replied to.
-------------------------------------------------------
Quote In fact a no-Creator based model will always have more assumptions as such a model leaves man with the onerous task to explain everything which clearly he is not capable of. I can give you many examples; here we go with a few...
Ok, I take the challenge. I suggest I will start to give you my answers sometimes accompanied with a related counter question which you answer with your logic until we`re thru.
Once done we summarize, so let's go:
--------------------------------------------------------
Quote What suggests universe can get self-created?
Did you read the articles I posted ? It is clearly explained. The keywords are "Quantum fluctuations" and Heisenbergs Uncertainty principle.

So my counter question was (and still is): How did God create the Universe according to you ?
Quote Why should the universes get self-created?
For the same reason an apple falls from the tree - the (everlasting) laws of nature.
Quote Why among the zillions of galaxies (self created??) one attained a special status (again by itself?)?
Regarding how galaxies formed we have a rather clear idea on how it came this far. Starting with the big bang, formation of quarks, later electrons, protons, gravitational pull, Hydrogen burning to He and heavier elements (i.e. during super novaes), subsequent condensation which formed planets and the earth as we know it today.
The reason why our galaxy seems special to us is the Antropic Principle. In a nutshell this means that our Galaxy/solar system seems special because we are in it/here to watch it. It is us that name/make it special !
------------------------------------------------------
Quote Why amongst the millions of normal stars, the solar system got chosen (again by itself?) with a provision of life in earth (again by itself?)?
See my answer above. Again: Nobody (outside) has chosen our solar system - we identified it as such, that's all.
Much easier isn't it ?
Quote Why after billions of years of earth�s existence it got decided (again by itself) to self create life on earth and from that moment this process of self creation got terminated by itself so that no human is able to witness this fantastic process?
First your statement is plain wrong: Life emerged almost immediately after the conditions (i.e. Temperature) became right. Before it was just too hot to bear life. (so not after billions of years as you claim).
Of course you hammer on this point because you do know that we have (so-far) no conclusive theory. Having said so your answer is "because God" created it. What you miss however is a model on how he did it.
So my counter question is again: How did he do it ? I'd like to get a description that goes beyond: He can do as he pleases!
Quote Why the self created intelligence of humans have somehow fallen short of the self created intelligence of this self created universe so that humans are still left to look for answers with no success so far?
For being honest, I truely don't understand this question. What has the fact that we do not know everything got to do with the idea of a creator ?
Do you silently assume: "Since we do not know everything someone else has to ?"
Quote Why is it that whilst man is able to think and make choices about his life to some extent, he doesn�t have the absolute ability to carry out his will? For e.g. he cannot say I don�t want to die. � Why?
Again I don't see what you try to say. Of course can you say "I don't want to die" but I don't think that the biological clock that evolution has wired into our genes will care much about this statement.
Quote Why did life come into existence?
For the same reason as before: Because the laws of nature are such that they allow/favour the formation of life.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Why man cannot create life?
We are only two steps away from it
Quote Why man cannot stop death?
Who says that we can't ? It is likely that will we manage to extend life to hundreds of years, may be even "for ever". This will however not stop death because accidents will continue to happen.
Tell me if you want the scientific references to this subject.
Quote Why should the self created planets then get in to a self initiated, self sustained motion?
It is (deliberately ?) misleading from your side to claim that planets self create. Either you really don't know and in this case you should rather abstain from this kind of discussion, or you do know and in this case you try to reroute the discussion with cheap rhetorical tricks.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Why should the self created life then manifest itself in male-female pairs under various life forms?
C'mon QE! As before - in the best case you are kidding
Quote Why do humans have a conscience?
If you manage to give me a clear definition on what "conscience" means I will try to answer your question.
Quote Why is man the way he is? Why cannot he self design himself?
Again, you're out of phase. The knowledge we have acquired in genetics would of course allow us to alter the human being. I think there are good reasons that we shouldn't.
Tell me if you (truly) want the scientific references to this subject.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Why there are physical barriers in this self created universe that prevents man from carrying out his will?
Almightiness is a religious construction. Why should we be almighty ? What would it prove ?
Quote Why there are predefined parameters that provide different set of skills to different people?
Because we have different genes, different education and different societies. Not sure what you want to prove with this question.
Quote Why there are inequalities in the distribution of resources in this world?
There are many good models about this. I am willing to discuss them if you give me a good reason why this should be relevant in this context.
Two lines are too short and would come out as w(h)ishy washy as the Quran.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Why is man unable to bridge all such inequalities?
It is not that we are unable, but we have a heavy evolutionary burden which prevents us from being efficient in it. A good starting point would be if you read Richard Dawkins "The selfish gene".
Quote Why is it that some people have to go through sufferings while some others seem to enjoy a better life and such disparities never get fully balanced in this world?
This is exactly the question I asked you when it came to the two year old child dying of malaria. See below.
Quote How was time created?

A indeed difficult question. In the articles I send you time came into existence when the universe formed on the basis of everlasting laws of nature. I consider this as the most likely answer. Quarks, electrons and Protons where also absent before, why should time not ?
I could attempt a more physical answer based on the time independent Schr�dinger equation but I doubt that you'd follow and I am admittedly not sure whether my attempt would make it through the scientific reviewer committee.
Quote ...The point is very relevant�Creator is a matter of choice and is clearly beyond the realm of an evidence based approach.
I am pleased that you admit that you do not claim the existence of a creator as being evidence based.
This is a reasonable starting point for discussion.
Quote There is no basis to assume that a no-Creator based model will require less number of assumptions.
As you already understood this is where we disagree. Besides the trait "everlasting" (which we both need for our theories) you make the additional assumption of the existence of a (superior) being and if this was not already enough you overload this being by characterizing it with human attributes (Merciful, forgiving etc).
To make this already bad situation worse you add (without any evidence whatsoever) that this being (where you admit that you do not have any proof for its existence) must be omniscient and -even worse- almighty.
This is my core point, and I'd like you to reply to this argument on logical ground (= without irrelevant Quran citations)
Quote So the fact that things remain beyond your comprehension cannot be a criterion while exercising the choice in the matter of a Creator.

Correct, but Occams razor can.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Whereas it should be an eye opener for any thinking man that when his evidence based approach fails, he need to look for alternatives.
In a way yes, but so far I have always surprised how cheap the alternative explanations I've seen are. And again, like it or not: You are competing with 2000 religions which are all equally convinced to be true.
Quote And that�s where Quran comes in as a perfect fit
Believe it or not, I have been reading large sections of the Quran. I am not exaggerating if I call this book the biggest intellectual disappointment I have ever read.
If it speaks to your heart- fine with me- but don't extrapolate your feelings to other people and cultures.
Quote it clearly puts forward the case for a Creator based model
The Quran proposes a creator model ? Whacky !
Quote But your model is not short of assumptions. In the scientific method, Occam's razor is not considered an irrefutable principle of logic or a scientific result; the preference for simplicity in the scientific method is based on the falsifiability criterion. (Occams razor wiki says so)
That Occams principle is not "foolproof" is indeed a valid comment. But it is the best weapon we have against people that claim that the world was created by silverish unicorns, that committing suicide would lift us to a spaceship behind the Hale-Bopp comet, or that fiery beings called Jinns lurk at unknown places.
Talking about "falsification" : When physics tries to test a law (like Heisenbergs Uncertainty Relation (HUR) which is likly to be (partly) underlying the creation of the universe ) it must and does stand to the logic of "falsification". If you manage to determine the place and the momentum of a small particle simultaneously the HUR is dead at the very same moment.

BTW. How do your theories behave in this respect i.e. when it comes to Jinns and the creation of the universe ?
Quote As I have made clear in other discussions previously, my endorsement of the idea of an ultimate Creator is based on a faith based belief

Ok, fair enough, I appreciate your honesty.
Quote ...that has the sound backing of a book that has withstood the test of time.
When it comes to the "scientific claims" in the Quran this/your statement is outright nonsense. I would also add that the interpretation of the Quran changes almost every day (and depends also on the person, country and background) But again, if its poetry appeals to your heart, that's ok.
Quote And it would be foolish to think that the Creator who could create a universe that still remains beyond the capability of the best of human minds to explain has to be proved by an imperfect tool called science created by his imperfect creations.
Neither the existence nor the nonexistence of a creator can be truly scientifically proven. Where did I say so ?
Quote But your model does not take in to account any such intelligence behind the whole creation, so why should something that you believe came into existence without any intelligence behind it remain beyond human intelligence to explain?
Again, where did I say so ?
Quote On a scientific level a no-Creator model is only a speculation.
Correct, as it is the case for a creator model. See my reply above
Quote On a moral level, the 2 aspects of 1) there is more to it than meets the eye and 2) the full and final recompense on the day of judgement, explains any calamity that befalls man in this world.
I can understand the human desire to hope for compensation when it comes to injustice. It is not only human but also monkeys share this trait with us. However, the fact that we feel unhappy about it, is by no means a prove that higher justice has to exist. I think it is essential to not confuse feelings and facts in these discussions.
Hoping for a day of judgment (where the unpleasant neighbour who mows his garden on a public holiday will get finally punished) is all too human, if not "monkiish".
Quote I have already answered the killing innocent babies scenario. Allah gives the assurance that nobody will be wronged in the overall judgement, but can anyone rejecting a Creator in this world give such an assurance?
You answered exactly the way I anticipated: Your Moses example is of the "God must have good reasons to kill" type.
Go(o)dness me: He's almighty in your eyes and he can't even prevent a mosquito to bite a two year old child ?
Quote Coming to your question A: There are multiple references in the Quran (32:4, 10:3, 11:7, 25:59, 57:4, 50:38, and 7:54) about Allah having created the heavens and earth in 6 stages. If you are looking for a step by step explanation like in a science book, then my answer is I don�t know.
Pleased that you admit that. That's all right, but just to comment: Opposite to your claim it is a direct consequence that the Quran does not give absolute but (in the best case) only relative guidance. I.e. no relevant guidance at all in this question.
Quote you have asked for a Quranic reference that specifically provides the precise reason for creation of the �universe�, I must say I am not aware of one, and I am not too interested in pure speculation. There are multiple verses in Quran (21:16, 38:27 and 3:191) that says Allah did not create the earth and heavens in vain.

If you are not interested in pure speculation rather don't cite the Quran at all !

Look:
21:16: And We did not create the heaven and earth and that between them in play.
Wow, I'm impressed by this deep thought. It boils down (again) to "he must have good reasons". Do you really consider this as a valid explanation ?

38:27: And We did not create the heaven and the earth and that between them aimlessly. That is the assumption of those who disbelieve, so woe to those who disbelieve from the Fire.
No difference to 21:16 i.e. what bored me the most when I read the Quran: Self repeating, self citing and essentially zero information content.

3:191: Who remember Allah while standing or sitting or [lying] on their sides and give thought to the creation of the heavens and the earth, [saying], "Our Lord, You did not create this aimlessly; exalted are You [above such a thing]; then protect us from the punishment of the Fire.
It's getting worse and worse...

And you try to tell me the Quran is the answer to all questions if it can't even tell me why god [should have] created the universe ?

Well: Airmano

Edited by airmano - 31 October 2016 at 3:11am
The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses (Albert Einstein 1954, in his "Gods Letter")
asep48garut60 View Drop Down
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asep48garut60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 October 2016 at 3:09pm
Dear Tim the plumber,

-----------
Are you saying that there was a flood which covered all the world with Noah's arc landing on a mountain in what is now Turkey or something else?
-----------

I stated that in Noah's day there was a big flood, in spite of covering the surface of the earth or not, and I believe that the flood in the days of Noah were really happened because God is telling us about it.

Regards,
Asep

Tim the plumber View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim the plumber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2016 at 9:47am
Originally posted by asep48garut60 asep48garut60 wrote:

Dear Tim the plumber,

-----------
-----------

I stated that in Noah's day there was a big flood, in spite of covering the surface of the earth or not, and I believe that the flood in the days of Noah were really happened because God is telling us about it.

Regards,
Asep

Was this an unusual flood that has never happened before or since?

Did it need a special boat to get all animals out so they could repopulate the world?

Because it did not happen.

Quranexplorer View Drop Down
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quranexplorer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 November 2016 at 10:56am
@Airmano

As it is getting lengthier, here is the first part of my response that largely covers the questions. Second part with remaining discussion to follow shortly.

Ok, I take the challenge. I suggest I will start to give you my answers sometimes accompanied with a related counter question which you answer with your logic until we`re thru.
Once done we summarize, so let's go:

Even though I have made it clear many times before, let�s make sure we are on the same page on this. It is a no-Creator based model that assumes that the universe does not require a Creator and that it could be completely comprehensible to man. A Creator based model on the other hand believes that there is a Creator and not everything in this universe is completely comprehensible to man.

For me there are basically 2 underlying beliefs that explain this universe: 1) Allah is the ultimate Creator and Sustainer of this universe 2) There is a life after death and that�s where all balances are going to be set right. Now both these beliefs are beyond the realm of science to establish with evidence.

So ultimately is it up to the proponents of a no-Creator based model to prove their point as they believe that they can do that. 2 ways I see this could be done are: 1) Explain this universe completely and establish with scientific evidence that there is no ultimate Creator 2) Establish with scientific evidence that the Creator model presented in Quran is wrong.

So let�s now proceed and see how your answers stand in general and in particular against the scientific evidence criteria.

Did you read the articles I posted ? It is clearly explained. The keywords are "Quantum fluctuations" and Heisenbergs Uncertainty principle.

So my counter question was (and still is): How did God create the Universe according to you ?

What is the scientific evidence that Quantum fluctuations can create universe out of nothing?

Regarding how Allah created the universe, Quran 21:30 says:

�Have not those who disbelieve known that the heavens and the earth were of one piece, then We parted them, and we made every living thing of water? Will they not then believe?�

Let me know if there is any scientific evidence to counter this claim?

For the same reason an apple falls from the tree - the (everlasting) laws of nature.

Can you define nature?

What scientific evidence suggests that laws of nature are everlasting?

What scientific evidence suggests that the laws of nature are universal?

How these laws got created?

Which one came first? The everlasting laws of nature or your Quantum fluctuations?

Regarding how galaxies formed we have a rather clear idea on how it came this far. Starting with the big bang, formation of quarks, later electrons, protons, gravitational pull, Hydrogen burning to He and heavier elements (i.e. during super novaes), subsequent condensation which formed planets and the earth as we know it today.
The reason why our galaxy seems special to us is the Antropic Principle. In a nutshell this means that our Galaxy/solar system seems special because we are in it/here to watch it. It is us that name/make it special !

------------------------------------------------------
The understanding you are talking about is only a limited portion of the �how� question, that too with much of this understanding still wanting scientific evidence to support. My question is why there should be zillion galaxies?

The Anthropic principle is a non-scientific concept and is not falsifiable, so that is even worse than a theory without scientific evidence and qualifies as nothing more than an assumption.

See my answer above. Again: Nobody (outside) has chosen our solar system - we identified it as such, that's all.
Much easier isn't it ?

As I have mentioned I have no problem with other beliefs, ultimately that is only an assumption.

First your statement is plain wrong: Life emerged almost immediately after the conditions (i.e. Temperature) became right. Before it was just too hot to bear life. (so not after billions of years as you claim).
Of course you hammer on this point because you do know that we have (so-far) no conclusive theory. Having said so your answer is "because God" created it. What you miss however is a model on how he did it.
So my counter question is again: How did he do it ? I'd like to get a description that goes beyond: He can do as he pleases!

If the age of the universe is approx 13.8 billion years and life on earth appeared approx 4.1 billion years before, for me that is a gap of a few billion years as per your theories. So which of your theory are you saying is wrong with the numbers?

As I have mentioned earlier, I don�t have a scientific description of how Allah created the universe. But that in no way is a criterion for me to deny my Creator as long as there is no one else who possesses such complete knowledge as Allah says in Quran 2:255:

�Allah! There is no God save Him, the Alive, the Eternal. Neither slumber nor sleep overtaketh Him. Unto Him belongeth whatsoever is in the heavens and whatsoever is in the earth. Who is he that intercedeth with Him save by His leave? He knoweth that which is in front of them and that which is behind them, while they encompass nothing of His knowledge save what He will. His throne includeth the heavens and the earth, and He is never weary of preserving them. He is the Sublime, the Tremendous.�

For being honest, I truely don't understand this question. What has the fact that we do not know everything got to do with the idea of a creator ?
Do you silently assume: "Since we do not know everything someone else has to ?"

Because there is someone out there who says man cannot have the absolute knowledge and that is a fact. Quran 6:59:

�And with Him are the keys of the Invisible. None but He knoweth them. And He knoweth what is in the land and the sea. Not a leaf falleth but He knoweth it, not a grain amid the darkness of the earth, naught of wet or dry but (it is noted) in a clear record.�

Again I don't see what you try to say. Of course can you say "I don't want to die" but I don't think that the biological clock that evolution has wired into our genes will care much about this statement.

So are you saying death is a characteristic that got evolved with time? So the very first form of life which obviously was not the result of evolution should be eternal?

For the same reason as before: Because the laws of nature are such that they allow/favour the formation of life.

Are you saying this based on scientific evidence or is it just an assumption?

We are only two steps away from it

How can incorporating a synthetic genome to a live cell be remotely linked to creation of life? I�m talking about creation of life, not making a different form from the existing life form.

Who says that we can't ? It is likely that will we manage to extend life to hundreds of years, may be even "for ever". This will however not stop death because accidents will continue to happen.
Tell me if you want the scientific references to this subject.

Allah says you can�t, and that�s period you can�t stop death. Quran 21:35:

�Every soul must taste of death, and We try you with evil and with good, for ordeal. And unto Us ye will be returned.�

Feel free to share if you think you have something to counter this claim. I can see words like �likely�, �may be� etc in your statement. That�s a big difference when Allah says something and when man talks, Allah talks with full affirmation, something that man can�t do.

It is (deliberately ?) misleading from your side to claim that planets self create. Either you really don't know and in this case you should rather abstain from this kind of discussion, or you do know and in this case you try to reroute the discussion with cheap rhetorical tricks.

Sorry, I have no intention to hurt your beliefs, just thought to check if you have some scientific evidence to suggest why the whole scheme of planetary motion be self initiated and self sustained.

C'mon QE! As before - in the best case you are kidding

Don�t you think the question is all the more relevant when we have Asexual reproduction? Why the male-female pairs?

If you manage to give me a clear definition on what "conscience" means I will try to answer your question.

I must say Google is pretty good at this!
conscience
ˈkɒnʃ(ə)ns/
noun
1.     a person's moral sense of right and wrong, viewed as acting as a guide to one's behaviour.
"he had a guilty conscience about his desires"
synonyms:     sense of right and wrong, sense of right, moral sense, still small voice, inner voice,voice within; More

Again, you're out of phase. The knowledge we have acquired in genetics would of course allow us to alter the human being. I think there are good reasons that we shouldn't.
Tell me if you (truly) want the scientific references to this subject.

I am interested exactly in the good reasons that you are referring not to alter ourselves. Why don�t we have the ability to definitively better ourselves?

Almightiness is a religious construction. Why should we be almighty ? What would it prove ?

For you why should even there be something called almightiness? Why not man has the absolute power to carry out his will?
Allah say�s there are physical barriers that man can�t breach (Quran 55:33):
�O company of jinn and men, if ye have power to penetrate (all) regions of the heavens and the earth, then penetrate (them)! Ye will never penetrate them save with (Our) sanction.�

Please let me know if you have anything to counter this claim.

Because we have different genes, different education and different societies. Not sure what you want to prove with this question.

You are trying to answer the how question. My question is why should there be an intelligent system in place to program certain type of skills, characteristics etc. to individuals?

There are many good models about this. I am willing to discuss them if you give me a good reason why this should be relevant in this context.
Two lines are too short and would come out as w(h)ishy washy as the Quran.

Because Allah is in control of these and not man. Quran 15:21-22
�And there is not a thing but with Us are the stores thereof. And we send it not down save in appointed measure. (21) And We send the winds fertilising, and cause water to descend from the sky, and give it you to drink. It is not ye who are the holders of the store thereof.�

It is not that we are unable, but we have a heavy evolutionary burden which prevents us from being efficient in it. A good starting point would be if you read Richard Dawkins "The selfish gene".

But facts say that man is unable to bridge such gaps.

This is exactly the question I asked you when it came to the two year old child dying of malaria. See below.

I have already given my take on this. What is your explanation for such a situation?

A indeed difficult question. In the articles I send you time came into existence when the universe formed on the basis of everlasting laws of nature. I consider this as the most likely answer. Quarks, electrons and Protons where also absent before, why should time not ?
I could attempt a more physical answer based on the time independent Schr�dinger equation but I doubt that you'd follow and I am admittedly not sure whether my attempt would make it through the scientific reviewer committee.

In a nutshell that�s another point we are left with just assumptions.
airmano View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote airmano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 November 2016 at 11:27am
@QE

This discussion is getting a bit out of bonds.
In your last post you did an impressive number of calls to Allah and an equally impressive number of Quran citations I never asked for.

I have the impression that your avalanche of questions (15 ?) was only to not answer what I defined twice as my core point and to which you never even attempted to give an answer.
So:
Quote QE:
There is no basis to assume that a no-Creator based model will require less number of assumptions.

Airmano:
As you already understood this is where we disagree. Besides the trait "everlasting" (which we both need for our theories) you make the additional assumption of:

- The existence of a (superior) being
          and if this was not already enough you overload this being by:
- Characterizing it with human attributes (Merciful, forgiving etc).
          To make this already bad situation worse you add (without any evidence whatsoever) that this being (where you admit that you do not have any proof for its existence):
- It must be omniscient and -even worse- almighty.

This is my core point, and I'd like you to reply to this argument on logical ground (= without irrelevant Quran citations)

My point -that my model needs lass assumptions- is independent of Islam. It is a question I could equally ask a Christian or a Jew.
So can I please -for the third time- ask you to answer this question on logical ground (= without unrelated Quran citations) before we carry on ?

Obviously, if you have problems in understanding my question I'm always there to help.

And, as a last "please": Keep it short.

Edited by airmano - 07 November 2016 at 9:59am
The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses (Albert Einstein 1954, in his "Gods Letter")
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
  Share Topic