IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Pillars of Islam
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Fasting on ‘Ashura  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fasting on �Ashura

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pure Musk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fasting on �Ashura
    Posted: 12 October 2016 at 3:00am
�Ashura (10th day of Muharram)
This is the tenth day of Muharram, the month of Allah Almighty.

This is because the Prophet said: �And as for fasting on the day of �Ashura, I expect that Allah Almighty shall forgive the sins of the year prior to it.� [ Source: Muslim.]

The reason for fasting on this day is in accordance with what was related from the authority of �Abdullah ibn �Abbas, who said: �When the Prophet ﷺ arrived at Madinah, he found the Jews fasting on �Ashura. Then he inquired why (do they fast on that day)? They answered, �This a good day, the day Allah Almighty saved the children of Israel from their enemy, and as such Prophet Musa (peace be upon him) fasted thereafter (on that day).� Then the Prophet said: �I have more right to Musa than you.� Then he fasted and ordered the Muslims to fast on that day.� [ Source: Bukhari.] In another narration by Imam Muslim, the Prophet said, �If I remain (alive) till the next year, I shall fast the ninth day.� [ Source: Muslim.]
source: islamkingdomfasting
DavidC View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male Christian
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2016 at 12:59pm
Question: Today is Yom Kippur. Does 'Ashura always fall on the same day, or even within the Jewish high holy days?
Christian; Wesleyan M.Div.
asep48garut60 View Drop Down
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asep48garut60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2016 at 10:19pm
Dear David C,

In the Muslim calendar, 'Ashura (10th of Muharram) always fall on the same date but not necessarily always fall on the same day.
If we compare between the 'Ashura with Yom Kippur, the date and the day aren't necessarily always the same, but the implementation time close enough, given that the calendar of Muslim and Jewish calendar have a similarity in the number of days, 29 or 30 days in one month, and approximately 354 days in a year.

Regards,
Asep
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic