IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Interfaith Dialogue
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Revelation in the Catholic Church  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Revelation in the Catholic Church

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 786SalamKhan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Revelation in the Catholic Church
    Posted: 06 October 2016 at 12:12pm
This question is for Muslims, coming from myself as a lapsed Muslim:

What does the claim that Jesus Christ Himself founded the Catholic Church, and gave Her divine authority to teach, mean to you?

More information here:
http://www.vatican.va/archive/hist_councils/ii_vatican_council/documents/vat-ii_const_19651118_dei-verbum_en.html

Edited by 786SalamKhan - 06 October 2016 at 12:13pm
asep48garut60 View Drop Down
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asep48garut60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 October 2016 at 1:10am
Yes, I will follow Jesus if I've been born at the time of his prophethood of Yesus.

Regards.
Asep
786SalamKhan View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 786SalamKhan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 October 2016 at 1:29am
Originally posted by asep48garut60 asep48garut60 wrote:

Yes, I will follow Jesus if I've been born at the time of his prophethood of Yesus.

Regards.
Asep

Anything contrary to the truth, is by that very fact, false. Once again, Christianity and Islam cannot both be true.

Edited by 786SalamKhan - 07 October 2016 at 2:54am
DavidC View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male Christian
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 October 2016 at 11:31am
Originally posted by 786SalamKhan 786SalamKhan wrote:

What does the claim that Jesus Christ Himself founded the Catholic Church, and gave Her divine authority to teach, mean to you?

More information here:
http://www.vatican.va/archive/hist_councils/ii_vatican_council/documents/vat-ii_const_19651118_dei-verbum_en.html

Jesus did indeed found a church, which is detailed in Matthew, but it was a Jewish sect derived from Jesus' Pharisee roots.

It is difficult to think about Christianity as a seperate religion until after Jesus' death, Paul comes into the picture and incorporates the gentiles.

Before Paul, Christians had to be Jewish.

In Martin Ling's biography of Muhummad drawn from hadith, only the Ebionite and Nestorian Christians are mentioned. Waraq, Kadija's uncle was an Ebionite bishop and Muhummad's gift of prophecy was proclaimed by a Nestorian monk. No mention is made of the much larger churches in Rome, Istanbul or Egypt.
Christian; Wesleyan M.Div.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 786SalamKhan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 October 2016 at 12:29pm
Originally posted by DavidC DavidC wrote:

Originally posted by 786SalamKhan 786SalamKhan wrote:

More information here:

Jesus did indeed found a church, which is detailed in Matthew, but it was a Jewish sect derived from Jesus' Pharisee roots.

It is difficult to think about Christianity as a seperate religion until after Jesus' death, Paul comes into the picture and incorporates the gentiles.

Before Paul, Christians had to be Jewish.

In Martin Ling's biography of Muhummad drawn from hadith, only the Ebionite and Nestorian Christians are mentioned. Waraq, Kadija's uncle was an Ebionite bishop and Muhummad's gift of prophecy was proclaimed by a Nestorian monk. No mention is made of the much larger churches in Rome, Istanbul or Egypt.

If you are going to cite the Gospel according to St. Matthew, please keep in mind that it states Jesus founded the Church on St. Peter (Matthew 16:18).

This same St. Peter said the following about St. Paul:

"As also in all his epistles, speaking in them of these things; in which are certain things hard to be understood, which the unlearned and unstable wrest, as they do also the other scriptures, to their own destruction." -2 Peter 3:16

There are those who deny the Petrine authorship of these letters, which is absurd. People who do so reject it because of the difference in style between 1 Pet and 2 Pet. Apparently they were paying so much attention to the style, they forgot to look at the actual content. Look at 1 Pet 5:12-

"By Sylvanus, a faithful brother unto you, as I think, I have written briefly: beseeching and testifying that this is the true grace of God, wherein you stand."

Peter dictated 1 Peter to Silvanus who obviously cleaned up Peter's grammer.

Peter wrote 2 Peter without any help. Since he was not exactly a Greek scholar and they didn't have Rosetta Stone at the time, his grammer was less than perfect.

You may want to read the Acts of the Apostles in the New Testament; the answer to whether the Church is for Jews or for all can be found there.
DavidC View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male Christian
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 October 2016 at 1:43pm
St. Peter had no unique relationship to the Roman Catholic church. In the early church, the bishops of Alexandria, Greece and Rome were equals and all have equal claim to apostolic authority.

I may or may not choose to continue in this discussion. My objective in this topic is to provide Muslims accurate answers their questions about Christianity in general and to increase my own knowledge of Islam. There are other, better venues in which to converse about details of church history which are unrelated to Islam.
Christian; Wesleyan M.Div.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 786SalamKhan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 October 2016 at 2:24pm
Originally posted by DavidC DavidC wrote:

St. Peter had no unique relationship to the Roman Catholic church. In the early church, the bishops of Alexandria, Greece and Rome were equals and all have equal claim to apostolic authority.

I may or may not choose to continue in this discussion. My objective in this topic is to provide Muslims accurate answers their questions about Christianity in general and to increase my own knowledge of Islam. There are other, better venues in which to converse about details of church history which are unrelated to Islam.

This probably isn't the time and place, but:

The Apostolic Sees which universally governed the early Church were Rome, Antioch, and Alexandria; as can be seen in Canon 6 of the Council of Nicea.

However, prior to this, we can see in the writings of St. Irenaeus, him stressing the importance of maintaining communion with the See of Rome.

What is the criteria for an Ecumenical Council? How do we know that Ephesus II was a Robber Council despite it having near enough the same amount of attendees as Constantinople I? ("Contradicitur!") The See of Rome.

During the Acacian schism, which Apostolic See was said to have always preserved the faith unsullied in the Hormisdas Formula? The See of Rome.

During the 6th, 7th, and 8th centuries, when the Apostolic Sees of Antioch and Alexandria had already fallen to the Monophysite heresy, and the Sees of Constantinople and Jerusalem had temporarily fallen to the Monothelite heresy and Iconoclasm, which Apostolic See was considered to be orthodox? The See of Rome.

This only affirms the Catholic doctrine of Indefectability, where the Apostolic See of Rome is the only specific Church guaranteed to not fall into heresy or apostasy.

As Msgr. Knox said:

�Strange as it may seem I had always assumed at the back of my mind that when my handbooks talked about �Arian� and �Catholic� bishops they knew what they were talking about; it never occurred to me that the Arians also regarded themselves as Catholics and wanted to know why they should be thought otherwise. �Ah! but,� says my Church historian �the Church came to think otherwise, and thus they found themselves de-Catholicized in the long run.� But what Church? Why did those who anathematized Nestorius come to be regarded as �Catholics� rather than those who still accept his doctrines? I had used this argument against the attitude of the Greek Orthodox Church when it broke away from unity, but it had never occurred to me before that what we mean when we talk of the Catholic party is the party in which the Bishop of Rome was, and nothing else: that the handbooks had simply taken over the word without thinking or arguing about it, as if it explained itself; but it didn�t.�

Edited by 786SalamKhan - 07 October 2016 at 2:25pm
airmano View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote airmano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 October 2016 at 11:13am
@SalamKhan

it is probably not the right place nor the right subject, but I wouldn't know of a better way:

Looking at your early posts you seem to have gone a long and difficult way.
Since you describe yourself as a former Muslim having turned into an agnostic, may I ask you what the turning point was which made you finally lose your faith ?

Quite obviously you have a deep knowledge of the Muslim and Christian (hi-)story (How many Christians would haven even heard about Nestorians and Arians ?).

So let me first express a wild guess on how you got there:

May be you started to study religion(s) with the idea of increasing your faith. As you did so, first doubts may have crept into your thinking (like the authenticity of Noah), but your inner response to these doubts was that they would go away with deeper knowledge.
I guess they didn't...
and the trouble may have started right here: Parents being upset, friends turning away and the loss of inner security.
From your early posts it is already clearly visible that you have a critical spirit and the necessary freedom of thought to put the doctrines of your own faith onto the test bench, which - from my perspective - (almost inevitably ?) lead(s) to this kind of clash.

Of course, you could as well be a former Christian who turned to Islam, subsequently realizing that Islam has as many internal contradictions as Christianity...

Would you be willing to correct my guesses ?

Airmano

Edited by airmano - 11 October 2016 at 5:18am
The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses (Albert Einstein 1954, in his "Gods Letter")
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic