IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Culture & Community > Family Matter
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Walima ceremony  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Walima ceremony

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Starter.
Starter.

Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fsanchezjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Walima ceremony
    Posted: 30 September 2016 at 9:00pm
Assalamu alaikum,

I'm writing a story about a troubled and reckless high school teen who reverts to Islam while her older brother joins the army. I've never had the opportunity to attend a Walima and I would like to include details of a ceremony that are as accurate as possible. So I'm asking friends and online communities these questions.

1. Is there anything that happens the day after the Walima? (For example a brunch at either the brides or grooms family home)
2. Is it common for guest to come from out of town and stay at hotel? If they stay at a hotel are bus shuttles to the Walima or Nikah common practice?
3. In regards to Pakastani-American Muslims, is music played during a Walima? If so does it remain traditional?
4. Alcohol is not served at all correct?
5. How common are speeches?

I most appreciate any insight to these small details as I would hate to portray a Muslim wedding that is false.

Thank You
semar View Drop Down
Male Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote semar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 October 2016 at 9:37pm
Wa alaikum salam:

1. Might some family still home wh stay far away, asuming that you have a big house. If not usualy no one stay.
2. If you house/walima in a city and any hotel close by. Providing bus is not common.
3. Yes. Any music.
4. No alcohol
5. Usulay there is acouple speeches from elderly taht represening the groom/bride family.
Salam/Peace,

Semar

"We are people who do not eat until we are hungry and do not eat to our fill." (Prophet Muhammad PBUH)

"1/3 of your stomach for food, 1/3 for water, 1/3 for air"
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic