IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Culture & Community > Groups : New Muslims
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Some of my concerns  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Some of my concerns

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Starter.
Starter.
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clayton14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Some of my concerns
    Posted: 28 August 2016 at 5:20pm
Hello and thanks for reading, I'm not yet a Muslim (no witnessed shahada) but I have decided that I absolutely want to be and I had interest last year but it faded.

I have some concerns and they're mostly just my insecurity, firstly, I am very White & British, my family looks down on Islam and I don't want to get into conflict until I can support myself, I am quite young, this year it's too late but I can apply for student accommodation next year so maybe that is an option, I can pray in private but it's difficult, finding halal meals is difficult. Not sure if I should wait or not.

Secondly I find it difficult to approach other Muslims and to make friends in general, having my families bias in my head makes it even harder although I would really prefer Muslim friends to keep me on track as before I had lost interest also I may not meet other Muslims in my University that I plan to go to next month although there are quite a few Muslims there, I don't know if they'll be in my course so if anyone can give me advice on how to approach people that would be great or would like to chat please go ahead and send me your Skype username or ask for mine I will try and keep in touch regularly. Going into a Mosque I would be very nervous mostly because I am very self-conscious and I am really new to the culture.

So yeah these are my concerns and I would appreciate your advice, all the best.
syed_z View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote syed_z Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 August 2016 at 10:25pm
Asalaam O Alaikum...

Shahada i.e. Testifying that 'There is no god but Allah and Muhammad is the Messenger of Allah' is the first step. Regardless of things like your inability to find place of prayer, finances, halaal food etc. You should not waste time.

There is a tradition of the Prophet (SallAllahu Alaihi Wassallam) in which he said that 'Time is Allah'. If your life runs out of time then you will have no time left. Take advantage of 5 before 5 said the Prophet:

Youth before Old Age, Wealth before Poverty, Leisure time before becoming busy, Health before sickness and Life before Death.

You never know when your life will come to an end. Act before its too late. You can say your Shahada and then put your trust in Allah (swt) and He will make things easy for you. He will open a way for you.

Surah 65 Verse 2 - 3

And unto everyone who is conscious of God, He [always] grants a way out [of unhappiness], (65:3) and provides for him in a manner beyond all expectation; and for everyone who places his trust in God He [alone] is enough. Verily, God always attains to His purpose: [and] indeed, unto everything has God appointed its [term and] measure

I would like to inform you that going to a masjid might make you a bit uneasy but I can guarantee you that people will love to see you, will be happy and will be very welcoming InshA'Allah.

My advice to you is to say Shahadah with a Muslim or if you can at the Masjid during Friday prayer as that is when mostly community members are gathered, they will see you and will meet you, congratulate you. This way you will become very comfortable around them.

After taking Shahadah the next thing that you would like to hold on to should be the Salaah, the prayers. That will help you strengthen your spiritual bond with Allah and make difficulties easier.

I pray, May Allah (swt) make it easy for you and help you and guide you towards Him. Ameen!

AhmadJoyia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AhmadJoyia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 October 2016 at 10:02am
Originally posted by Clayton14 Clayton14 wrote:

Hello and thanks for reading, I'm not yet a Muslim (no witnessed shahada) but I have decided that I absolutely want to be and I had interest last year but it faded.

I have some concerns and they're mostly just my insecurity, firstly, I am very White & British, my family looks down on Islam and I don't want to get into conflict until I can support myself, I am quite young, this year it's too late but I can apply for student accommodation next year so maybe that is an option, I can pray in private but it's difficult, finding halal meals is difficult. Not sure if I should wait or not.

Secondly I find it difficult to approach other Muslims and to make friends in general, having my families bias in my head makes it even harder although I would really prefer Muslim friends to keep me on track as before I had lost interest also I may not meet other Muslims in my University that I plan to go to next month although there are quite a few Muslims there, I don't know if they'll be in my course so if anyone can give me advice on how to approach people that would be great or would like to chat please go ahead and send me your Skype username or ask for mine I will try and keep in touch regularly. Going into a Mosque I would be very nervous mostly because I am very self-conscious and I am really new to the culture.

So yeah these are my concerns and I would appreciate your advice, all the best.

Hi Clayton14, I would rather encourage you to say Shahda well within yourself and make promise to your God. All rituals would follow later. Start offering prayers in your private and no hurry to visit Mosque at this stage and no hurry to pronouce your conversion to offend your parents right away, becasus as you said, you are still of young age and not independant. Your faith is your choice, there shouldn't be any compulsion on you. I would rather suggest that you read Quran, online if you prefer, and start to understand it with the help of many people online, such as this forum, or elsewhere, where ever you are more comfortable. Your struggle to follow Islam is highly commendable, I must appreciate that.
Best regards and warm wishes.
asep48garut60 View Drop Down
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asep48garut60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2016 at 4:40pm
Dear Clayton14,

I suggest you, please follow the advice of AhmadJoyia, his suggestion is a good start and easily for you to do.

Regards,
Asep

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic