IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Islam for non-Muslims
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Upstairs Neighbor Late Night Prayer  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Upstairs Neighbor Late Night Prayer

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Starter.
Starter.

Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Upstairs Neighbor Late Night Prayer
    Posted: 01 June 2016 at 6:54am
Hello

For last several weeks, I have been woken up by my neighbor who at around 3.30-3.50 am will pray / sing for around 20-30 minutes.

I have tried putting on headphones and ear plugs on, but they haven't helped.

In general, I can deal with it if is just a murmur (i.e. normal talking volume), but there are several verses he announces VERY loudly and makes it impossible to get back to sleep until he has finished.

Of course, generally for a late night disturbance, common sense would be to request in person that they not make so much noise, however, as it is a prayer, I feel awkward to make such a request.

At the same time, I can't continue to allow myself being woken up as this disturbance in sleep will have an adverse affect on my health.

Would it be considered offensive if I requested my neighbor not to stop praying, but at least not pray at such a loud volume?

Any advice / opinions or similar experiences would be much appreciated.
semar View Drop Down
Male Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote semar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2016 at 12:54am
Salam/Peace,
I think you need to tell them about ASAP. They might do not know that you are disturbed. (I assume they are immigrants). Perhaps in their homeland this activity is a common things, that they don't realized that they live in a different world/culture.
I believe if you tell them politely, they will understand your concern. Good luck.

Edited by semar - 04 June 2016 at 12:55am
Salam/Peace,

Semar

"We are people who do not eat until we are hungry and do not eat to our fill." (Prophet Muhammad PBUH)

"1/3 of your stomach for food, 1/3 for water, 1/3 for air"
Brother-Kurd View Drop Down
Starter.
Starter.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brother-Kurd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2016 at 2:49am
Peace,

In Islam our neighbors have rights over us Muslim despite their faith. Many times we as human beings despite being Muslim or of other faiths we just have no idea what harm we are doing to our neighbors or our fellow human being.

Just like brother semar said, just go directly to him, but before doing that think wisely about how to notify him of the disturbance. I mean you can say in a rough way that you do not like something, but you can also say in a polite manner "could you please during your night-prayer recite your scripture in a lower volume, because it is waking me up at night".

Many times they will understand and maybe even a good friendship can come out of this encounter :). A good neighbor is better then a friend who lives far away.

Good luck.
asep48garut60 View Drop Down
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asep48garut60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 August 2016 at 9:25am
Your neighbor might not have a lot of knowledge about the teachings of Islam so that he forgot or didn�t know that what he was doing is forbidden in Islam, and this is for further convince you that Islam does not teach its followers to act like your neighbor, and here are as the proofs:

The Prophet Muhammad said:
�Whoever believes in Allah and the Last Day, then do good to his/her neighbor, and whoever believes in Allah and the Day of Judgment, then glorify his/her guests.� (Imam Muslim & Imam Bukhari).

Asep
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic