IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Interfaith Dialogue
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - a question for atheists  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

a question for atheists

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112>
Author
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote airmano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2016 at 2:20pm
Quote Caringheart:
What do you suppose guides the creatures of the earth?
May I answer your question with a counter question [I'm serious!]: What (and who) guides the guinea worm

------------------------------------------------------

Quote Why do birds know how to migrate? What is guiding them?
This for example.

--------------------------------------------------------

For your danger/animal theory you find probably as many diverging observations and opinions as animals on earth (or conflicting statements in the bible and/or the Quran if you prefer). Personally I like this one.
One thing is sure however: your term "always [know]" is untenable.

Airmano

Edited by airmano - 01 June 2016 at 2:21pm
The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses (Albert Einstein 1954, in his "Gods Letter")
Ringer View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ringer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2016 at 8:14pm
Originally posted by Caringheart Caringheart wrote:

Further clarification for the 'atheists'.... (things to think on)

> What do you suppose guides the creatures of the earth?
>Why do birds know how to migrate?  What is guiding them?

Presumably you are asking what mechanism(s) guide them, the mechanical "how".

Why didn't you just look up this information (readily available on the Internet instead of trying to suggest is involves some 'magical' or 'supernatural' mechanisms?

There are by the way several mechanisms use:
  • Some birds have magnetite above their nostrils. This helps them to use the Earth's magnetic field to navigate.
  • Some birds navigate use landscape features, such as coastline, mountains or even motorways!
  • Some birds use the position of the sun and stars to navigate.
  • Sometimes migration has to be taught. Some birds learn the migration routes from their parents. If the birds are raised in captivity, humans have to teach them.
  • Short distance migrants frequently are just moving from higher to lower elevations and simply fly around, tending to stay in the area that is almost immediately warmer.
  • Sense of smell sometimes plays a role (e.g. homing pigeons.)
  • Many combine multiple methods.
Also, some do get lost and suffer the consequences.

The ones that have offspring that do it right are the ones that over time survive to pass on the genes for these mechanism to their offspring etc.

Start here perhaps, 'The Cornell Lab of Ornithology: All About Birds :The Basics of Bird Migration: How, Why, and Where'
https://www.allaboutbirds.org/the-basics-how-why-and-where-of-bird-migration/

The site recommends this book as an excellent resource ("interesting and easy-to-read style") to learn more, presuming these are honest questions on your part.  ($4 hardcover with shipping and $10 for electronic version.)

BTW, many humans do (or did in past times) migrate seasonally or as one time events or event series, and frequently successfully, to follow the migrating game (in this case they might just do it by TRACKING the migrant animals) or through memory and teaching their children, etc....

>Why is it the animals always know (as the humans never do) when there is impending danger? 
>Why do they run before an earthquake? 
>Why do birds, frogs, and other creatures, know when it is time to take shelter?
First, animals don't "always know" or do this but their is evidence that they do sometimes sense disasters approaching (especially a short time before the occurence.)

This time I'll leave the work to you (if you are genuinely interest in how scients explains this and is studying it to find better and more complete answers).

But to get you started this Google search will give plenty to view, review, and even peruse dleeply:

• [ animal awareness impending disaster | danger scientific causes earthquake | fire | weather ]

Have fun!!!!

>They (unlike us humans who have been disconnected through our sin) are in touch with the Creator (God) which guides them.
Only the human creature forgets his Creator.

Seems like you are saying the animals have a soul and either humans don't have one or have compromised the human 'soul'.

And even IF "God did it" then it doesn't close the possibility that God invented and used the mechanism of Natural Selection.

Were Allah to have done it this a beautifully elegant solution to reach a very complex result.

Natural Selection in no way diminishes God/Allah, but merely would show such a creator to be a VERY SMART entity indeed.

Edited by Ringer - 01 June 2016 at 8:31pm
--
Ringer
Ringer View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ringer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2016 at 7:20pm

Originally posted by Ringer Ringer wrote:

... define "soul"?

Greetings Ringer,

I believe I already did...
the soul is the thing that sets humans apart from animals.
It is the thing which causes us to question the reason and the purpose of our existence... a thing which I am pretty sure that animals do not do. Smile

Not that is not a definitely but simply a tautological declaration -- i.e., circular reasoning.

"Soul sets animals apart from humans which is the difference between humans and animals."

There is no information content in your declaration.

You have just declared something unseen, unknowable, and undefined to exist but you can't actually define it or give a method to discover or investigate it.

--
Ringer
The Saint View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Saint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2016 at 7:46am
I just don't get why you think life only has meaning if there is some sort of great sky fairy looking over you.

'Sky Fairy' idea aside, let me ask you what is the purpose of this life?

There are lots of rules in the world which we, the people, have made to allow society to work. The best of these are based on ethics.

While making these rules you must have realized that there are certain spheres where you cannot make rules, only obey them.
Invite [all] to the Way of thy Lord with wisdom and beautiful preaching;
and argue with them in ways that are best and most gracious
The Saint View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Saint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2016 at 8:01am
Tried [again] on two different computers and both links [still] work. May be you don't know how to click ?

Those links did open this time! Did you grease palms to help open them?

If so then I'm not impressed by the job he did.

I keep forgetting you expect me to impress you. Are you so vain?

If you feel that science is presumptuous, then be it so.

Well, both science and you presume things and then find that truth is something else.

In some aspects 'yes', but not but not when it comes to the denial of reality.

Yeah, they both deny your reality! That nothing came out of nothing and so on.....blah....blah......blah! Tell me Airmano have you ever come across in the material world which created itself? Like a fan or a car or a piece of jewellery made exquisitely.
Invite [all] to the Way of thy Lord with wisdom and beautiful preaching;
and argue with them in ways that are best and most gracious
Caringheart View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caringheart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2016 at 11:10pm

... define "soul"?

Greetings Ringer,

I believe I already did...
the soul is the thing that sets humans apart from animals.
It is the thing which causes us to question the reason and the purpose of our existence... a thing which I am pretty sure that animals do not do. Smile

There is no information content in your declaration.

You have just declared something unseen, unknowable, and undefined to exist but you can't actually define it or give a method to discover or investigate it.

Greetings Ringer,

What is it that causes humans to question the reason and purpose of their existence...
and animals not to?

-------------------------

I'll give you the answer....
that is the great mystery of the Creator....
He gives humans a soul.
Yes, to us it may be hard to define, perhaps even undefinable.... but not to the Creator.  Smile

Edited by Caringheart - 06 June 2016 at 11:11pm
Let us seek Truth together
Blessed be God forever
"I believe in Jesus as I believe in the sun... not because I see it, but because by it, I see everything else.: - C.S.Lewis
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caringheart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2016 at 11:23pm
Originally posted by airmano airmano wrote:

Quote Caringheart:
What do you suppose guides the creatures of the earth?
May I answer your question with a counter question [I'm serious!]: What (and who) guides the guinea worm
------------------------------------------------------
Quote Why do birds know how to migrate? What is guiding them?
This for example.
--------------------------------------------------------
For your danger/animal theory you find probably as many diverging observations and opinions as animals on earth (or conflicting statements in the bible and/or the Quran if you prefer). Personally I like this one.
One thing is sure however: your term "always [know]" is untenable.

Airmano

Greetings Airmano,

The point is.... what is it that guides them to go from one place to another to begin with?  I understand the natural powers of the earth.... magnetism, etc., that guide them.... but what makes them fly from one place to another.... where does that internal guidance come from? 

Humans don't do it... and why not?   because it's not the way we were designed.

addendum:
Ringer says that at one time humans did do this.... perhaps he is correct, who can know.  It certainly seems plausible... the native americans moved with the seasons from place to place in the land... but never one continent to another. (not with regularity)
Anyway, it may just be further evidence of the separation from God...
we may wonder why humans stopped doing this.  (if they ever did)
Not all creatures do however, which goes to the fact that all creatures have their own design.

about the danger perception factors....
exactly...
God's creatures are in touch with all of their perceptory senses....
it is only humans that are separated from this (because of their sin natures... their propensity to reject or rebel against the design of the Creator... to exert their own will over the design of the Creator... again, a thing which other creatures do not do... or if they do, they perish... they become extinct... the same thing that will happen to humans if they continue in their own way.... but the Creator will not allow this to happen... will not allow those which were made in His own image... His children... to go extinct)....
humans became separated from the Creator and from the fullness of the senses. 
The closer one moves to God the more in touch with these other senses they become.  That, to me, is the journey.  We either move towards our Creator through this life, or we move away from the Creator in this life.  It is our choice.

asalaam and blessings to you,
Caringheart

Edited by Caringheart - 06 June 2016 at 11:28pm
Blessed be God forever
"I believe in Jesus as I believe in the sun... not because I see it, but because by it, I see everything else.: - C.S.Lewis
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caringheart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2016 at 11:34pm
Greetings Ringer,

Thank you for all your effort and information.
Please read my reply to Airmano.  Smile

I live with woods at the back of my place, and I can always know what weather to expect according to how quiet the woods go.
It is the things of nature that alert us to the shifts in nature.... if we are discerning...

I don't know that animals have to have a soul to be connected to the design of the Creator.
The fact is, because they are not designed like humans, they don't compromise the design of the Creator the way that humans do.  

I agree, there is no reason to deny natural selection...
in fact, in a way, humans thwart natural selection by not being smart in their mating choices... but that too is because they have strayed from the guidance of the Creator.... He has told us how to behave.  Humans choose not to listen, and to do things according to their own mind.

asalaam and blessings to you, Smile
Caringheart

Edited by Caringheart - 06 June 2016 at 11:36pm
Blessed be God forever
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112>
  Share Topic