IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Interfaith Dialogue
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - 13:15  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

13:15

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TG12345 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 13:15
    Posted: 15 February 2016 at 5:37am
Salaam alaikum. I have a question about the verse below.

13:15
And unto Allah (Alone) falls in prostration whoever is in the heavens and the earth, willingly or unwillingly, and so do their shadows in the mornings and in the afternoons.
http://searchtruth.com/chapter_display.php?chapter=13&translator=5#15

Is 13:15 inclusive of every living thing, or a generality but not all things? Does it include only people/angels/jinn or also animals and plants?

Is the verse saying that every single thing created prostrates to God, as do their shadows in the mornings and afternoons?

Is this a correct understanding?

Many thanks and take care.
airmano View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote airmano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2016 at 1:55pm
I don't.
So I just see this verse as an other error in the Quran.

Airmano

Edited by airmano - 16 February 2016 at 1:56pm
The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses (Albert Einstein 1954, in his "Gods Letter")
TG12345 View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TG12345 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2016 at 8:40pm
Thanks, Airmano, but according to the Quran you do, you just do it unwillingly.
I am waiting for a Muslim to respond, but it was nice having your input. :)

Edited by TG12345 - 16 February 2016 at 8:40pm
Tim the plumber View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim the plumber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 February 2016 at 1:11pm
Even as an atheist I am unconfortable in holding any religious writing to the same scrutiny as a scientific paper.

It's poetry first, has a symbolic message second and then finally a world understanding. That the information is often wrong is different to honing in on a single scentence and drawing out large claims from just that smipet.

TG12345 View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TG12345 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 February 2016 at 4:15am
Thank you Tim the plumber for your response, I appreciate it. Am looking forward to hearing Muslims reply :)
airmano View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote airmano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 February 2016 at 8:56am
Quote Tim:
Even as an atheist I am unconfortable in holding any religious writing to the same scrutiny as a scientific paper
Of course, I share your feelings about this subject.
The point I try to make is in respect to the claim of the "Quran being perfect". If such a imho pretentious claim is made it should be scrutinized with even higher standards than scientific articles.
Unfortunately it does not even remotely stand up to these claims.

Airmano

Edited by airmano - 23 February 2016 at 8:57am
The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses (Albert Einstein 1954, in his "Gods Letter")
AhmadJoyia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AhmadJoyia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 February 2016 at 9:09pm
Here are seven translations of verse 13:12, if you have an issue with its understanding.
Sahih International: And to Allah prostrates whoever is within the heavens and the earth, willingly or by compulsion, and their shadows [as well] in the mornings and the afternoons.

Pickthall: And unto Allah falleth prostrate whosoever is in the heavens and the earth, willingly or unwillingly, as do their shadows in the morning and the evening hours.

Yusuf Ali: Whatever beings there are in the heavens and the earth do prostrate themselves to Allah (Acknowledging subjection),- with good-will or in spite of themselves: so do their shadows in the morning and evenings.

Shakir: And whoever is in the heavens and the earth makes obeisance to Allah only, willingly and unwillingly, and their shadows too at morn and eve.

Muhammad Sarwar: All in the heavens and the earth prostrate themselves before God, either of their own free will or by force, just as do their shadows in the mornings and evenings.

Mohsin Khan: And unto Allah (Alone) falls in prostration whoever is in the heavens and the earth, willingly or unwillingly, and so do their shadows in the mornings and in the afternoons.

Arberry: To God bow all who are in the heavens and the earth, willingly or unwillingly, as do their shadows also in the mornings and the evenings.
airmano View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote airmano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2016 at 2:20am
I can't help it, your list of translations makes things even worse:

I never felt any compulsion from Allah to prostrate nor did I ever see my shadow doing such things.

If taken literally it simply is - and remains - bare nonsense.

Airmano

Edited by airmano - 28 February 2016 at 2:21am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
  Share Topic