IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Islam for non-Muslims
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Interested in Islam  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Interested in Islam

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Starter.
Starter.
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CuriousI93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Interested in Islam
    Posted: 25 January 2016 at 1:39pm
Hello!

As the title says, I'm greatly interested in Islam. I recently downloaded a Quran and have been reading it, just finishing the 4th chapter (are they called chapters?)

While I will continue to read it, I wanted to ask some questions first.

I come from a religious family but I don't identify with any religion. I do believe there's a God out there, something at the center of everything. Christianity never gave me much, it was just kind of thrust on me like here this is the local religion have a good time. I mean that I enjoyed the teachings of Jesus, and I do try to live a 'Christian' life, but I never found myself placing much faith in Christianity itself. Unlike what I'm doing with the Quran, I never actually front to back read the Bible.

I just have a few questions about Islam.

1) How does one convert, if this is right for me? Are there steps, or is it one big event like a baptism?

2) I know (I think) that the 5 daily prayers must be done in Arabic, so I assume learning Arabic itself is helpful. But if I were ever in distress, needing to pray outside the 5 times, can I use my mother tongue to actually talk to God?

3) Non-Muslim friends? I live in a dorm room at college and, while none of my friends would be bothered by me converting, I want to know if its frowned upon to be close with non Muslims? Not to sound rude by asking this.

4) Life-Style: What is halal? Would eating cafeteria food be an issue? Giving up pork would not be (personally never had a taste for the animal).

5) Dating. I read that Muslims don't date. Not that I'm looking to marry any time soon, but how do relationships start up, especially when dealing with someone who doesn't have Muslim family members?

6) Can I do the 5 daily prayers before i convert? I just want to try to see how they feel. I desire to, I really do, but I don't know if that's prohibited or frowned upon or anything.

Until I think of more questions, thanks for your answers!
semar View Drop Down
Male Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote semar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 January 2016 at 7:12pm
Originally posted by CuriousI93 CuriousI93 wrote:

I just have a few questions about Islam.

1) How does one convert, if this is right for me? Are there steps, or is it one big event like a baptism?

Converting to Islam is very simple. Just say a few sentences as follow:

Ash-hadu an laa ilaaha illallah
�I bear witness that there is no god except Allah�

Wa ash-hadu anna Muhammadan rasulullah
�And I bear witness that Muhammad is the messenger of Allah.�

Even you can do it on your own, no need any witnesses, however it'll be perfect if you go to a muslim/imam to be witness.

2) I know (I think) that the 5 daily prayers must be done in Arabic, so I
assume learning Arabic itself is helpful. But if I were ever in
distress, needing to pray outside the 5 times, can I use my mother tongue to actually talk to God?

Yes outside 5 prescribed prayers you can pray (read supplication) in any language.

3) Non-Muslim friends? I live in a dorm room at college and, while none of my friends would be bothered by me converting, I want to know if its frowned upon to be close with non Muslims? Not to sound rude by asking
this.

You can be friend with anyone as long as they don't mind/stop you do your religious duty

4) Life-Style: What is halal? Would eating cafeteria food be an issue?
Giving up pork would not be (personally never had a taste for the
animal).

No pork, no alcohol, that's all. So it's not be very difficult.

5) Dating. I read that Muslims don't date. Not that I'm looking to marry any time soon, but how do relationships start up, especially when dealing with someone who doesn't have Muslim family members?

This perhaps the most difficult part, muslim do not allowed to have sex outside marriage. However it doesn't mean that you do not allowed to have opposite sex friends.

6) Can I do the 5 daily prayers before i convert? I just want to try to see how they feel. I desire to, I really do, but I don't know if that's prohibited or frowned upon or anything.

Yes of course, you can do that. No restriction to try anything, prayer, fasting etc.

Until I think of more questions, thanks for your answers!

Edited by semar - 25 January 2016 at 7:15pm
Salam/Peace,

Semar

"We are people who do not eat until we are hungry and do not eat to our fill." (Prophet Muhammad PBUH)

"1/3 of your stomach for food, 1/3 for water, 1/3 for air"
CuriousI93 View Drop Down
Starter.
Starter.
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CuriousI93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 January 2016 at 9:30pm
Thank you for the answers, friend.

Another question, how to deal with my non muslim family members? I doubt many will approve, but all i need in my life is my mother. She raised me by herself, and we are very close friends. I am proud of that.

I worry that, if I converted, she would be devastated or hurt. I don't want to hurt my mother.

Second, can you tell me about the benefits of Islam? Outside of heaven/paradise, I mean. Just what has Islam done for you? I suppose this question is addressed more towards new/convert Muslims than natural born, but I am still curious to hear from all.
AhmadJoyia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AhmadJoyia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2016 at 7:58am
Welcome Aboard Bro CuriousI93.
I must appreciate the efforts my bro Semar and Abu Loren have put in to explain you things about conversion to Islam. However, I think for any person interested in Islam, may like to start with his own honest soul search to look and ask God's help (if you believe someone is out there) for the truth irrespective of which religion. Start reading Quran (not necessarily in the order like a book) and pray God to show you His signs to believe only through your own rational thinking and intellect given by the God. For this you can start from anywhere in the Quran, just randomly. If you don't understand the verse, read 2-3 verses before it as well as after the verse and hopefully the full context will be clear. If not, then better start from the beginning of the chapter. For further explanation/clarification the brothers on this forum are always there for your help. IA. Remember, rituals are not as important as it is for you to get conviction of it through your own human intellect and rational thinking only. IMHO, it this and only this condition for which you will be accounted for, at the day of Judgement, and nothing beyond your own capacity.
Best regards and Happy Quest.
semar View Drop Down
Male Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote semar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2016 at 9:29pm
In Islam kind, respect and love to parent is a must, regardless their faith.
Yes your mom will be upset, but it's normal, so introduce your change to her gradually not abruptly, so you need to show that your conversion make you a better person.

Hell/paradise is the for after life. So benefit by following Islam in the earth is a lot. If we follow Islamic teaching "insha Allah" you will be a successful, happy and healthy person, because the requirement to be on that condition are part of the Islamic teaching.
Islam teach you to work hard, there is a teaching that "work as hard as possible like you will life forever". Islam also teach you to manage time wisely, discipline, eat healthy, good lifestyle.

Islam also teach you to share with others, have family, control your anger this will make you healthy emotionally.

One of the most important teaching in Islam is moderation and balance. Balance in between your individual life and community, balance your work for your earthly life and hereafter, not stingy also not waste etc.

However notice that I put word "insha Allah", (God will), that's mean all the final result still depend of Allah will. So knowing this make you never loss hope or frustrated if you fail on a certain things even if you already work hard on it. Because perhaps Allah want to test you etc.

Edited by semar - 01 February 2016 at 11:28pm
Salam/Peace,

Semar

"We are people who do not eat until we are hungry and do not eat to our fill." (Prophet Muhammad PBUH)

"1/3 of your stomach for food, 1/3 for water, 1/3 for air"
NABA View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NABA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2016 at 8:51am
Benefits of Islam are innumerable,it gives you peace of mind.Allah in ch 13 v 28 of Quran says verily heart finds peace in remembrance of Allah
Onigirice View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Onigirice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2016 at 11:35am
If u ask me benefit of islam, I even can't list that. It's so many and this gonna be long *lol.
So, just some
1. Islam save my future, This is a long story *lol
2. Islam is the rule in my life, u know, I will have bipolar personality if Islam allow killing, cheating, etc
3. You have a most peaceful place to tell your story, In my case it's in my sujud
4. You will learn how to be dicipline. Like paryer must be 5 times in a day, u must fasting, etc
5. Read Qur'an and it'll calm your heart
and many more

Btw, about ur mother. U can read the story of Rasulullah Friend name Sa'ad bin Abi Waqas and many more. Sorry, I forget the name ._.V u can search it on the google about their story :). Many Rasulullah friend is converted to Islam

Keep Hamasah and Istiqomah :)

Hope my answer will be helpful, May Allah Bless u

Edited by Onigirice - 26 February 2016 at 11:38am
shamshon View Drop Down
Starter.
Starter.
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shamshon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 October 2016 at 8:58pm
U will do great brother !
I will stand besides u and help u
E mail me
[email protected]
Dr Murad /43/ saudi arabia
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic