IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Science & Technology
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Anti-science madness  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Anti-science madness

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 13>
Author
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote airmano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 February 2016 at 6:39am
Quote Emettman
"In either case, point remains your 'faith', IMHO is simply as fragile as Mr Albert Einstein's theories are,"
Hi Emettman, glad to see you back again, apparently things got better ...

To your comment: I'm rather confident that Einsteins theory will survive Islam, simply because there is proof for its claims whereas there is none in the other case.

All too bad that I can't bet on it, 'cause we will all be gone by then.

Airmano

Edited by airmano - 03 February 2016 at 6:42am
The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses (Albert Einstein 1954, in his "Gods Letter")
AhmadJoyia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AhmadJoyia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 February 2016 at 12:36pm
Originally posted by Emettman Emettman wrote:

" In either case, point remains your 'faith', IMHO is simply as fragile as Mr Albert Einstein's theories are,"

I like faith that is fragile, or vulnerable to new information.
The other sort has too much potential to be rigid, ossified even in the face of good reason for a change of mind or perspective.
And that can do real damage, and not just to the person holding such a faith.
If the commitment of faith is to set a position and belief rigidly, against any or all new information or new understandings, then it is as likely to be vice as it is virtue.
Though a held faith is rarely able to recognise that.
Good one, only that to ask if there is anything called 'rational' faith as opposed to 'blind faith' that people usually find easy to attack to?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AhmadJoyia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 February 2016 at 12:49pm
Originally posted by airmano airmano wrote:

Quote Ahmad
So your statement Don't trust old articles and books, especially when they claim to hold universal truth. if applied to your own signature as The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses is only valid as long as Einstein's theories are considered 'extremely resilient against the assault of time'? or would you still keep on using it even if his theories no more make sense simply because you might not consider this statement to hold a universal truth? In either case, point remains your 'faith', IMHO is simply as fragile as Mr Albert Einstein's theories are, its just a matter of time, possibly right in your own lifetime you would know it. One can only wish to see science progress beyond Einstein, but would that hurt you? Rationally, that shouldn't; but then why now?

Religious people have the tendency to throw terms like "truth", "eternal", "omniscient", "almighty" in the air as if they were popcorn.

Thankyou bro Airmano for sharing your precious thoughts like ...he could be a real ****** towards women.... and using such word as shown in red, every now and then but with increasing frequency. I think these words are becoming your signature. Why not you use them permanently on this forum as your ID. Is this only with you or should I generalize it to all those who share your faith, though there is no rational evidence, as yet, to suggest such a generalization?

Edited by AhmadJoyia - 03 February 2016 at 12:55pm
airmano View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote airmano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2016 at 1:52am
Quote Ahmad:
Thankyou bro Airmano for sharing your precious thoughts like ...he could be a real ****** towards women.... and using such word as shown in red, every now and then but with increasing frequency. I think these words are becoming your signature. Why not you use them permanently on this forum as your ID. Is this only with you or should I generalize it to all those who share your faith, though there is no rational evidence, as yet, to suggest such a generalization?
I think you are extrapolating very, very far on the basis of "no rational evidence" as you say yourself.
Using your phrasing; could it be that: "constructing a belief without rational evidence" is something one can generalize to "those that share your faith" ?

Back to business: Instead of getting excited about red stars, why not taking position with respect to my 'precious thoughts' ?

Airmano

Edited by airmano - 04 February 2016 at 11:50am
The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses (Albert Einstein 1954, in his "Gods Letter")

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AhmadJoyia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2016 at 9:47am

Back to business: Instead of getting excited about red stars, why not taking position with respect to my 'precious thoughts' ?
Yup! So, can you enlighten us how do you reject theory of Quantum Mechanics but would continue to support the Einstein's infamous quote about god and dice?
airmano View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote airmano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 February 2016 at 1:20am
Quote Airmano:
Yup! So, can you enlighten us how do you reject theory of Quantum Mechanics but would continue to support the Einstein's infamous quote about god and dice?
Where did I say that I reject QM ? I don't think I ever did (at least not here in the forum, although I have a slight faible for Bohm theory).
So first: The physical discussion about Einstein's dices is not over yet and he may still turn out to be right in the end, even if the Kopenhagen interpretation of QM is nowadays widely favoured.
Independent of whether Einstein is right or wrong with his dices: Apparently you got so excited about the stars in my post that you may have missed my underlying message:

Even if you think that somebody and/or his work is great, this shouldn't make you blind to the wrong/negative sides of him/it. In German you say: "Where there is light there is shadow".
I.a.W: I never claimed Einstein to be "perfect" or "omniscient", and I explicitly named his negative sides (Yes, exactly where you got a bit nervous about).

If you read my post again (in a more unbiased way than last time) you may even notice the sentence:

I'd wish that you could develop a similar attitude towards your prophet: Acknowledging the "good" points but also seeing his downsides that are all too obvious in his case...

After all, even in Islam Mohamed is seen as human and not as "a son of God". Being human implies that he made mistakes and that we have all the right to criticize him (for that).

Airmano

Edited by airmano - 07 February 2016 at 1:30am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AhmadJoyia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2016 at 9:59am

After all, even in Islam Mohamed is seen as human and not as "a son of God".
Very true. No debate.
Originally posted by airmaon airmaon wrote:

Being human implies that he made mistakes and that we have all the right to criticize him (for that).
Of course yes and not to leave it to you or other humans to notice, Allah did admonish him not just secretly but recorded in Quran. On the other hand, when you guys tend to criticize his actions, we only want you to look at your sources and arguments more objectively / scientifically and less emotionally as you did it it elsewhere.
Matt Browne View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Browne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2016 at 2:39am
AhmadJoyia, Airmano:

There is so much violence caused by radical Muslims, because of this notion that God himself recorded the Quran. A good step to improve things would be acknowledging that it was humans who wrote the Quran. And the thoughts of these humans were influenced by the way of thinking prevalent in 7th-century Arabia. At this time there was practically 0% scientific knowledge available in this region. It took another century until greek science began to be rediscovered in cultural centers like Bagdad and later in other places like Andalusia. There is no such thing such as Islamic science or Christian science. There is only science and it belongs to all of humanity. It can help unite us. It can make the planet a peaceful place.

Edited by Matt Browne - 28 March 2016 at 2:43am
A religion that's intolerant of other religions can't be the world's best religion --Abdel Samad
Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people--Eleanor Roosevelt
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 13>
  Share Topic