IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Dogs  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDogs

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 8>
Author
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2006 at 1:05pm

Assalaamualikum

Sister Ummbiza, I never accused you of hating dogs.  I just found that in my own experiences, people who dislike dogs stick to one aspect and people who love dogs stick to another.  I don't think I am striving to please myself just because I do not want to get rid of my dog.  My dog is a comfort and security to me.  This does not mean that I don't strive to please Allah (SWT), that I am not fearful of Allah's Judgement on that day or that I don't respect the Profit and his teachings (SAW).  Nobody in life is perfect as I believe there is no such things as a "perfect muslim".  Not only do we pray to show our love & affection and respect to Allah, but we pray because our sins make our hearts black and during prayer we ask Allah to brighten it again.  Sister, please do not make it seem like I value my dog above all else or that I put my dog before Allah.  I have been doing reseach and I will make up my own mind and make my own decision because all in all it will be me in front of Allah to answer.  But I come to the forum to hear stories and get opnions.  I thought that is what this forum was for.......

Edited by Farrah
Mishmish View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2006 at 1:18pm

Assalamu Alaikum:

To be clear on my behalf, I do not own a dog. I love all animals and believe that as vicegerents on earth, mankind must show kindness and respect to all of Allah's creatures.

When I first became Muslim there was a picnic in the park for the Islamic Center. During the picnic a dog, who was obviously hungry, wandered over where the women were sitting and eating. Instead of getting up to shoo him away, most of the Sisters from overseas stood up and started screaming as if they were being killed and a couple started throwing pretty good sized stones at the poor thing. They were yelling and running around, and some of the older children got large sticks to hit at it.

I was absolutely appalled and couldn't believe what I had just seen. When I asked what was going on they all started screaming 'haraam' and telling me that dogs had jinn in them and they were filthy and had to be killed. This experience awakened my curiosity about this,  especially the extremely violent reaction. What I have found is that most Muslims from the Middle East react in this manner. They may disagree on wearing hijab, music, what day Ramadan begins, but the feeling for dogs is pretty universal. I started reading all that I could find about this because cruelty to any animal seems in direct conflict to the teachings of Islam. So I questioned why. 

Edited by Mishmish
It is only with the heart that one can see clearly, what is essential is invisible to the eye. (The Little Prince)
ak_m_f View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2006 at 2:19pm
Originally posted by Mishmish Mishmish wrote:

When I first became Muslim there was a picnic in the park for the Islamic Center. During the picnic a dog, who was obviously hungry, wandered over where the women were sitting and eating. Instead of getting up to shoo him away, most of the Sisters from overseas stood up and started screaming as if they were being killed and a couple started throwing pretty good sized stones at the poor thing. They were yelling and running around, and some of the older children got large sticks to hit at it.

LOL This is the funniest story I ever read,

Edited by ak_m_f
rami View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Male
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2006 at 3:22pm
Bi ismillahir rahmanir raheem

Rami, I agree with what you are saying, but alot of times these are not the hadiths quoted. People quote whatever suites thier point without first looking in the quran. Souldn't it be Quran first, authentic hadith if needed and lastly opinion of a scholar if required?

The ones Quoted in this post are those ahadith the refrence is given after the hadith.

Yes people often do that but the ruling in this case is prety much unanimous among muslims no real diference of opinion on the basics of this issue.

Unfortunately rulings do not work the way you imagine it to be. The Quran is the word of allah the ahadith further explain the Quran it is the scholars job to research and clarify what the Quran and sunnah say which is not an easy job or as simple as reading a verse from the Quran and voila that is the rulling only fundamental and very basic things such as you should worship allah and only allah or things that are advice can be gained by uneducated lay people such as myself reading the Quran. We do not take Quran vs ahadith or imagine a real scholars opinion is something other than him trying to give a ruling that is based on the Quran and sunnah.

This why our scholrs developed principles and rules from the Quran and sunnah for making rulings in islam to ensure the scholar gives rulings that are consistant and not contradictory or according to there own desire. New matters which have not come up beffore is where the danger is, up to this point in time though the fundamental issues have pretty much been rulled upon and the rullings are well known.

The issue of dogs in Islam is an old and very well known one.

Edited by rami
Rasul Allah (sallah llahu alaihi wa sallam) said: "Whoever knows himself, knows his Lord" and whoever knows his Lord has been given His gnosis and nearness.
Mishmish View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2006 at 5:55pm

Assalamu Alaikum:

I'm not so sure the dog was amused...

As far as dogs passing parasites, cats carry the same parasites as the article posted by Peacemaker attests, however there are Hadith that state it is permissable to share food with a cat or eat or drink after one.

I have 5 cats of my own and love them as if they are my children, but I'm not gonna eat or drink after them because they clean themselves in the same manner dogs do.

I guess my logical mind asks, why cats and not dogs? Why is one considered filthy and the other clean enough to share food with?

It is only with the heart that one can see clearly, what is essential is invisible to the eye. (The Little Prince)
peacemaker View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Male
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2006 at 6:53pm

In the Name Of Allah, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful,

Mishmish:

We should apply our mind with faith to understand the Creator and His universe, His Messengers from Adam to Muhammad ( peace be upon them ). There were many things 1400 years ago that might have appeared illogical, but the companions of the Prophet ( pbuh ) had faith in that.

Satan wanted to apply logic when asked to prostrate before Adam ( pbhu ). He goes " Why should I prostrate before someone inferior to me?"  Let us see his logic here, wasn't he right? He was. But, the problem was that it was the mind without faith. Creator was asking him to prostrate before Adam ( pbuh ), that should have been enough for him. 

Therefore, we see that in absense of faith, only mind may act as Satan.

This is not directed to you Mishmish. This is, I think, for us all including myself. May Allah bless us with the wisdom of Islam. The story of Cave you brought in. I liked that. The central message was that Allah is capable of protecting us when we renounce the world for his sake just to protect our faith. Those verses are very useful for us in these difficult times when thousands of us are being sujected to persecution and slaughter around the world.

Allah knows best.

Peace

Then which of the favours of your Lord will ye deny?
Qur'an 55:13
Mishmish View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2006 at 10:00pm

Assalamu Alaikum Peacemaker:

Iblis' assertion that he was better than man because he was made of fire and man was made of clay was not correct as Allah made man vicegerents on earth and gave man knowledge that his other creations did not possess. That is why Allah ordered the angels to bow down before Adam. So, his refusal to bow down was not logic, it was arrogance and jealousy.

In the Quran it states that Allah demonstrated Adam's superiority:

Behold, thy Lord said to the angels: "I will create a vicegerent on earth." They said: 'Will You place therein those who will make mischief therein and shed blood, while we do celebrate Thy praises and glorify Thy holy name? Allah said: 'I know that which you do not know.'

And He taught Adam the nature of all things, then He placed them before the angels and said: "Tell Me the nature of these if ye are right."

They said: "Glory to Thee, of knowledge we have none, save what Thou hadst taught us:  In truth, it is Thou, who art perfect in knowledge and wisdom"

He said: "O Adam! tell them their natures," When he had told them, God said: "Did I not tell you that I know the secrets of heaven and earth, and I know what ye reveal and what you conceal?"

And behold, We said to the angels: "Bow down to Adam:" and they bowed down: not so Iblis: he refused and was haughty: he was of those who reject Faith.

Thus even though Allah showed the angels and Jinn that Adam was superior, Iblis still refused to bow.

Salaams.

Dwanna

Edited by Mishmish
peacemaker View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Male
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2006 at 10:34pm

WalaikumSalam Dwanna,

You made a good point. And that is what I was trying to say. Of course, Adam ( pbhu ) was the first prophet of God on this planet. But, Satan out of his arrogance and absence of faith thought that he was right. My point was that he failed to understand the wisdom of God due to absence of faith. The narrow focus that "Why should I prostrate before someone inferior to me" was the logic or idea whatever you call it, came out of his arrogance and absence of faith and that kind of narrowed logic or idea may even appear to us right when we analyze things on our own without faith in Allah and His Messenger.

May be I am not able to explain better, I hope you are getting my point.  

Allah knows best.

Peace

Edited by peacemaker
Then which of the favours of your Lord will ye deny?
Qur'an 55:13
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 8>
  Share Topic