IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Islam for non-Muslims
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Hadiths  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hadiths

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Starter.
Starter.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CuriosityLives Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hadiths
    Posted: 02 January 2016 at 12:28pm
Good afternoon,

I come to you all with the greatest respect and sincerely hope that I may develop a clearer understanding without causing any offense. First, I would like to say that reading the Quran has opened my eyes very wide. My feelings about myself and the world and God's will for believers has been transforming (slowly) and I truly believe that the Quran came from Allah through the Prophet pbuh to show us a way of life free from evil. Just reading this Quran has helped me feel closer to the creator.

My dilemma is that I'm confused about the Sunnah and Hadiths. So far, the Quran appears to be free of contradictions. I truly believe the Quran was sent by God through the Prophet pbuh. However, it appears that there are a few Hadiths that contradict the Quran. I don't understand how this is possible. Are certain hadith subject to human error? Is that possible? The Quran is "complete" but we also have hadith instructing us. Is it obligatory for Muslims to follow the hadiths even if one finds something they feel contradicts the word of Allah? Or are the Hadiths equally vital to Islam as the Quran?

I have googled this and read about it on some pro-Islam websites but unfortunately I have also found some disturbing views on anti-Muslim sites. I have come here for guidance and opinions on this matter. How do we know the correct path if there are so many hadiths that seem to contradict each other and the Quran? Should I just continue reading and studying so that I can develop a better understanding? Is this something Muslims ponder?

May God reward anyone who has the patience to answer my questions and share their experience with me.

Thank you.

abuayisha View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Muslim
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abuayisha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 January 2016 at 7:03am
http://www.irfi.org/articles2/articles_3801_3850/usool%20al-hadeeth%20by%20abu%20ammar%20yasir%20qadhihtml.htm
Abu Loren View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abu Loren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 January 2016 at 10:00am
Originally posted by CuriosityLives CuriosityLives wrote:

Good afternoon,

I come to you all with the greatest respect and sincerely hope that I may develop a clearer understanding without causing any offense. First, I would like to say that reading the Quran has opened my eyes very wide. My feelings about myself and the world and God's will for believers has been transforming (slowly) and I truly believe that the Quran came from Allah through the Prophet pbuh to show us a way of life free from evil. Just reading this Quran has helped me feel closer to the creator.

Asalaamu Alaykum (Peace be unto you)

I too had this problem after I reverted to Islam, I thought that the Hadiths were unnecessary and it was contradictory. However, at the time I did not know much about Islam or the Prophet (SalAllahu Alayhi Wa Sallam) but I reverted only with the knowledge of the Qur'an and the belief that there is only ONE God. After a while I began to read up on the life of the Prophet (SalAllahu Alayhi Wa Sallam) and I read the whole Hadiths on sunnah.com (when I had a lot of free time).

What I found was that I fell in love with the Prophet (SalAllahu Alayhi Wa Sallam) and I found the Hadiths to be a goldmine of information that if one believes in it will better their lives forever. Alhamdulilah (Thanks be to God).

My dilemma is that I'm confused about the Sunnah and Hadiths. So far, the Quran appears to be free of contradictions. I truly believe the Quran was sent by God through the Prophet pbuh. However, it appears that there are a few Hadiths that contradict the Quran. I don't understand how this is possible. Are certain hadith subject to human error? Is that possible? The Quran is "complete" but we also have hadith instructing us. Is it obligatory for Muslims to follow the hadiths even if one finds something they feel contradicts the word of Allah? Or are the Hadiths equally vital to Islam as the Quran?

The Hadiths are the words and the actions of the Prophet (SalAllahu Alayhi Wa Sallam) and true believers try to follow because we believe that whatever the Prophet (SalAllahu Alayhi Wa Sallam) said or did was good and righteos. However, there are contradictions, in my opinion, this is to be expected because he was just a human being and it was the people who follwed him who wrote the Hadiths.  I can give you one contradiction. In a Hadith he says to his followers not to write down whateever he says. Now peoplw will jump onto this and say what is the point of the Hadiths if he said not to write down what he said. It could be two thins in my mind, one is that after a time he changed his mind or that the people wrote down what he said even though he said not to. Allahu Alum (God only knows).

I have googled this and read about it on some pro-Islam websites but unfortunately I have also found some disturbing views on anti-Muslim sites. I have come here for guidance and opinions on this matter. How do we know the correct path if there are so many hadiths that seem to contradict each other and the Quran? Should I just continue reading and studying so that I can develop a better understanding? Is this something Muslims ponder?

Actually there is not that many Hadiths that contradict each other, from what I've read there are only a handful.  Also if you have Iman (faith) then you will be able to discern what is from the Prophet (SalAllahu Alyhi Wa Sallam) and what is from a common man.

What I've found was that the Hadiths contain some beautiful interpretation of the Qur'an and his experiences as a Prophet. For example, he tells us how heaven and hell is, as Allah Subhana Wa Ta'ala has given him glimpses of these. He also performed many miracles like all Propets and Messengers before him.

May God reward anyone who has the patience to answer my questions and share their experience with me.

Thank you.

If you have God in your life then I believe that your life will become a fulfilling one and you will have peace and tranquility. You will start to appreciate His creations and have true love in your heart.

Ibn 'Umar (May Allah be pleased with them) reported: The Messenger of Allah (ﷺ) said, "Do not indulge in excessive talk except when remembering Allah. Excessive talking without the Remembrance of Allah hardens the heart; and those who are the farthest from Allah are those whose hearts are hard."

[At-Tirmidhi]

Sunnah.com reference : Book 18, Hadith 8
Arabic/English book reference : Book 18, Hadith 1518

La Ilaha IllAllah
Jannahgoals View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jannahgoals Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 January 2016 at 5:46am
Every morning charity is due from every bone in the body of every one of you. Every utterance of Allah's glorification is an act of charity. Every utterance of praise of Him is an act of charity, every utterance of profession of His Oneness is an act of charity, every utterance of profession of His Greatness is an act of charity, enjoining good is an act of charity, forbidding what is distreputable is an act of charity, and 2 rak'ahs which one prays in the forenoon will suffice. [Sahih Muslim]

~Duha prayer
Pray anytime from quarter of an hour after the sun has risen until ten minutes before Zhuhr prayer.
CuriosityLives View Drop Down
Starter.
Starter.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CuriosityLives Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 January 2016 at 9:02am
Thanks you to the two who took the time to answer my questions and to anyone who takes the time to read this thread.

I really enjoyed the link and the information therein which allowed me to understand a little more about the orgin of the hadiths.

Abu Lauren, I thank you for sharing the story of journey after conversion and I am glad to hear that you took the time to study without rejecting the hadiths altogethrer. it shows true faith!
asep48garut60 View Drop Down
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asep48garut60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 August 2016 at 7:50pm
Good morning,

Sorry this might be too late for you, but hopefully will add to your knowledge.
I will try to answer your questions, hopefully it can eliminate or at least to reduce your confusion about the Sunnah and Hadiths.

You say: �there are a few Hadiths that contradict the Quran�.

Your question is very reasonable for people who are critical like you to accept a doctrine, news etc., because there are parties who want to create and disseminate false Hadiths among Muslims, it could come from Muslims themselves or come from outside Islam, they deliberately want to destroy the Muslims unity, therefore, we would be wrong if we accept all Hadiths, but we would be wrong if we also reject all Hadiths because the Hadiths is the second source of Islamic law after the Qur'an.
We will not know how to implement all of Allah's commands if there's no Sunnah/Hadith as a reference.

(Qur�an surah 33:21)
"Ye have indeed in the Messenger of Allah (Muhammad) a good role model for you that is for the people who expect the grace of Allah and salvation in the doomsday, and he is much mention of Allah."

Sunnah and Hadith have similar understanding:
Sunnah, according to Islamic terminology, Sunnah is the act (af'alu), speech (aqwalu), and permission (taqriru) of the Prophet Muhammad, and hadith interpreted as a record of act, speech, and permission of the prophet Muhammad.

You say: �Is it obligatory for Muslims to follow the hadiths even if one finds something they feel contradicts the word of Allah?�

All Muslims are obliged to follow all shahih (healthy/original) Hadiths, and obliged to leave all Maudhu (false) Hadiths.

If there is a hadith that really contradicts the word of Allah, just leave it.

(Qur�an surah 53:3-4)
�He (Muhammad) did not say anything as his wish himself, but the revelations of Allah as revealed to him�.

This explains that all Hadiths should be relevant to Quran.

You say: � are the Hadiths equally vital to Islam as the Quran ?�

As I said earlier that Hadiths are the second source of Islamic law. Therefore, Hadiths are very important for Muslims, but its position is not the same as the Quran.

You say: �How do we know the correct path if there are so many hadiths that seem to contradict each other and the Quran?�

I suggest you if you are studying the Sunnah/Hadiths, firstly you should know much about the words of Allah in the Qur'an as a source of authentic, and after that, you will be able to differentiate between shahih (healthy/original) Hadiths and Maudhu (false) Hadiths.

You say: �Should I just continue reading and studying so that I can develop a better understanding?�

Of course, because the more you learn, the more you know about the Sunnah/Hadiths.

In studying Hadiths, once again I recommend you to study the Quran as a reference in comparing hadiths.

Why do I suggest like that?

(Qur-an surah 2:2)
"This Quran, there is no doubt in it, a guidance to those who fear Allah."

(Qur-an surah 15:9)
"Verily, we who are lowering the Quran, and verily we really maintain it."

You say: �Is this something Muslims ponder ?�

Of course, until now, many Ulama Muslims have been doing a rigorous selection of the hadiths, and now there is a discipline of science, which is called "Science of Musthalah Hadiths" despite all attempts of forgery hadiths can�t be prevented completely.

I hope you are quite satisfied with my answer.

Asep

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic