IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Reviews - Media > Books, Newspapers & Magazines
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - "Understanding Islamist Terrorism".  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

"Understanding Islamist Terrorism".

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Starter.
Starter.

Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Balliol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: "Understanding Islamist Terrorism".
    Posted: 29 December 2015 at 9:49am
I am 80 years of age and have lived in England for most of my life. I use the term "Muslim" rather than Islam because I consider that it is more neutral and maybe that was wrong. Having said that I have to admit to little knowledge of the Muslim world having always lived in an area that is totally made up of those who are not Muslim.
Like many English people I was not interested in the Muslim world until the attack on the American Twin Towers and the invasion of Iraq and Afghanistan. Even then it was only following the recent incidents in Paris that I thought that it was time that I attempted to understand why these events have occurred and I came across the book, "Understanding Islamist Terrorism". It was only when I was half way through the book that I thought it might be worth looking for some reviews and the ones that I found were not good.
In the search for truth obviously one must make ones own judgement when considering the veracity of a writer and one should not throw aside a book just because one disagrees with its content. Having said that those who carry out such acts most certainly perceive them in a different way to the way that the "Daily Mail" would report.
Now for the question: Why do people carry out acts such as the ones I have described above and what books does one need to obtain a more balanced view of the events that led to such acts than the writer of, "Understanding Islamist Terrorism" offered?       
abuayisha View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Muslim
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abuayisha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 December 2015 at 12:56pm
http://foreignpolicy.com/2015/11/16/dont-give-isis-what-it-wants-united-states-reaction/

http://www.juancole.com/2015/12/daeshisil-freedom-powerful.html

Balliol View Drop Down
Starter.
Starter.

Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Balliol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 December 2015 at 1:27pm
Many thanks for those suggestions but they don't really answer my question which I will elaborate upon.

Why were the acts I described perpetrated?

What justification was proposed for such acts?

What started this program of violence?

What books does one need to obtain a balanced view of the events that led to the acts I referred to?

Tim the plumber View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim the plumber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 December 2015 at 3:07am
Any drastic social change will cause rumblings from those treatened by them.

That's either threatened from an emotional or financial view.

abuayisha View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Muslim
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abuayisha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 December 2015 at 7:06am
Balliol your questions call for speculation. May I suggest Karen Armstrong's book entitled 'Fields of Blood' where she argues against the notion that faiths cause wars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6I-V3iNeFo
Matt View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 December 2015 at 7:53am
Originally posted by abuayisha abuayisha wrote:

Balliol your questions call for speculation. May I suggest Karen Armstrong's book entitled 'Fields of Blood' where she argues against the notion that faiths cause wars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6I-V3iNeFo

Or may I suggest a book by a former muslim - Heretic by Ayaan Hirsi Ali:

"We have now had almost a decade and a half of policies and pronouncements based on the assumption that terrorism or extremism can and must be differentiated from Islam... this kind of approach wholly misunderstands the problem of Islam in the 21st century... For the fundamental problem is that the majority of otherwise peaceful and law-abiding Muslims are unwilling to acknowledge, much less to repudiate, the theological warrant for intolerance and violence embedded in their own religious texts... we in the West need to challenge and debate the very substance of Islamic thought and practice. We need to hold Islam accountable for the acts of its most violent adherents and demand that it reform or disavow the key beliefs that are used to justify those acts."
Matt View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 December 2015 at 8:19am
Originally posted by Balliol Balliol wrote:

Now for the question: Why do people carry out acts such as the ones I have described above

There will, of course, be several reasons, but Islam is a major cause and a clear and obvious unifying one. What percentage of the World's Christians and Jews are murdering people and using their religion to justify it?

The BBC reports on this topic today about a muslim convert who has been jailed for plotting terrorist attacks in the UK.
http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-35198500

What was his motivation? As he said in a tweet: "test detonation of my keys to paradise". That sounds like an Islamic motivation to me, despite the years of denial by all western political leaders.
Balliol View Drop Down
Starter.
Starter.

Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Balliol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 December 2015 at 10:35am
abuayisha states. Balliol your questions call for speculation. May I suggest Karen Armstrong's book entitled 'Fields of Blood' where she argues against the notion that faiths cause wars.
There is little doubt that the reviews of this book other than those in the rightwing press make this a book worth reading and I will do so.

Matt suggests. May I suggest a book by a former muslim - Heretic by Ayaan Hirsi Ali:

She wrote; "We have now had almost a decade and a half of policies and pronouncements based on the assumption that terrorism or extremism can and must be differentiated from Islam... this kind of approach wholly misunderstands the problem of Islam in the 21st century... For the fundamental problem is that the majority of otherwise peaceful and law-abiding Muslims are unwilling to acknowledge, much less to repudiate, the theological warrant for intolerance and violence embedded in their own religious texts... we in the West need to challenge and debate the very substance of Islamic thought and practice. We need to hold Islam accountable for the acts of its most violent adherents and demand that it reform or disavow the key beliefs that are used to justify those acts."
Looking at the reviews this also deserves reading even if it may not give answers that I would be happy with.
Also posted by Matt
Originally posted by Balliol

�Why do people carry out acts such as the ones I have described above.�

Matt states, �There will, of course, be several reasons, but Islam is a major cause and a clear and obvious unifying one. What percentage of the World's Christians and Jews are murdering people and using their religion to justify it?�
I will not bore you with the many examples that history gives us of Christians murdering people and using their religion to justify it. As for the Jews, well they are giving us regular examples of such a policy.

Matt asks in regards to the person given prison sentences, �What was his motivation? As he said in a tweet: "test detonation of my keys to paradise". That sounds like an Islamic motivation to me, despite the years of denial by all western political leaders.�
I cannot answer such a question because although I read daily reports of such mindsets I am unable to understand them.
I am an 80 year old Englishman of a radical disposition but the statements made by Matt do not fit into my world, they worry me. I do hope that there is a valid alternative view.
I am also a compulsive book buyer and I started this quest as a result of finding a copy of �Understanding Islamist Terrorism� Patrick Sookhdeo in a market book stall. Were I to be of a mystical disposition I would have considered it as a gift from above but as I worked my way through it I started to believe that the book was a one sided attempt to depict Islam as an utterly murderous arrogant religion who appeared to believe that they had the right to demand that the whole world accepted their doctrine. I then looked at some of the reviews of his book and reached the conclusion that his writing was simply a vindictive attack upon Islam.
I will be honest and state that I would welcome the suggestion that maybe the disgraceful secret Sykes-Picot Agreement of May 1916, concluded by the British and French diplomats, Sir Mark Sykes and Georges Picot regarding the partition of the Ottoman Empire once World War One had ended. Obviously it clashed with the McMahon Agreement of 1915 and the statements made by T E Lawrence to the Arabs who had expected to be allowed to govern their own regions after helping the Allies fight the Turks during the First World War but that worried not the British and French governments.
Added to that it has been propounded that the destruction of the Twin Towers was provoked by the absolute hatred that radical believers of Islam held for America for a number of reasons but even were that to be a valid suggestion most westerners would find such actions impossible to understand.    
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic