IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Science & Technology
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - The Amazing Accomplishments of Muslim Scientists  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Amazing Accomplishments of Muslim Scientists

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AhmadJoyia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2016 at 10:21am
Originally posted by airmano airmano wrote:

Originally posted by ahmadjoyia ahmadjoyia wrote:

Thus, IMHO, it is not correct to reject Islam assuming it in negation of science.
This is also not my point. I don't think that Islam is per se anti-science, for example Islam has no (major) problem of recognizing the big bang. Having said so, as soon as science clashes with Islam (the same applies to other religions) the defense mechanism get quickly put in place (keywords: Evolution theory, Embryology etc.)
By this, you mean there are no practicing Muslim Biologists or Physicians or what? On the other hand, I did see same �defense mechanism� invoked by you sooner we talked about the Quantum Mechanics that initially confused Einstein as well. Isn�t it?

It is the rationale thinking which is demanded by Quran to understand its verses with open and unbiased mind, but with only one condition and that is, one must be looking for God's help to make him understand them.
Here we obviously disagree. In the end you approach the analysis by decreeing: "God exists", followed by "let's see which religion fits this concept best" and thirdly (but hidden): Since you already grew up with a religion you choose the obvious (claiming that it is the best anyway).
As I said, science is not about finding God, thus your theory is not very compelling here. However, I do see how you appear to again falter on the same notion of separation of �church and state� or to stumble upon picking only one out of two ie. either �faith� or �science� and not both. But that is not what the Muslims have to be worried about at all.

Here, the assumption of God is not conditioned with Islam's concept of Allah, but knowing that all this universe can't exist without a creator, realizing who could be such a creator, what would be the attributes of such a creator and then looking for this creator's help to search for finding the 'eternal truth'.
Pretty much as above. Not surprisingly I contest the necessity of a creator and I have already posted links on how the Universe could have come into existence without a creator. That there was never any comment or reaction on this speaks for itself.
Although, I don�t know which links are you referring here, but I do see working of the same fallacy of assumption that if no one responded to your question, you assumed you are right!! What a delusion indeed!!

In any case: The existence of an omniscient almighty creator leads forcibly & logically to a creator without free will - "Nature".
This clearly shows how influencing your ancestral religious background could be that it virtually clogs your mind to evolve beyond it but to abhor it!! But how could you extrapolate it to say something like this about Islam?
airmano View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote airmano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2016 at 9:49am
Quote Airmano:
...Having said so, as soon as science clashes with Islam (the same applies to other religions) the defense mechanism get quickly put in place (keywords: Evolution theory, Embryology etc.)

Ahmad:
By this, you mean there are no practicing Muslim Biologists or Physicians or what?
No, I never said so, and I even posted examples of Muslims who realize that there is a problem, like this one.. There was however no comment from your side.
In addition I (and Ron) already mentioned a second "effect", that is that Muslims don't seem to criticize other Muslims [openly] even if they tell the biggest nonsense (Remember Abu Loren and the flat earth or "The Saint" and his 'two hearts' ?).
In essence I think there are many (educated) Muslims that do see the dilemma between the Quran when taken literally and the many errors this implies, but for unclear reasons (fear ?) they don't stand up against it.
-----------------------------------------------------

Quote I did see same �defense mechanism� invoked by you sooner we talked about the Quantum Mechanics that initially confused Einstein as well. Isn�t it?
I'm more than willing to clarify, but to do so I first have to understand what the problem is. Could you rephrase it please ?

----------------------------------------------------------
Quote As I said, science is not about finding God, thus your theory is not very compelling here. However, I do see how you appear to again falter on the same notion of separation of �church and state� or to stumble upon picking only one out of two ie. either �faith� or �science� and not both. But that is not what the Muslims have to be worried about at all.
Again, I really don't understand what your point is. Where did I mention [separation of] "church and state" ? Could you elucidate ?
-------------------------------------------------------
Although, I don�t know which links are you referring here, but I do see working of the same fallacy of assumption that if no one responded to your question, you assumed you are right!! What a delusion indeed!!

My sentence was: Not surprisingly I contest the necessity of a creator and I have already posted links on how the Universe could have come into existence without a creator. That there was never any comment or reaction on this speaks for itself. .
Does this sentence really sound like somebody that claims to be right 'at any cost' to you ? What I meant by the second sentence was not that this theory [see link below] is necessarily right, but that things that are in conflict with [your] religious doctrines get simply ignored.

Although I send the link already several times, here we go again.

It would be nice if yould you comment beyond "it's just a theory".

Airmano

Edited by airmano - 06 March 2016 at 1:36pm
The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses (Albert Einstein 1954, in his "Gods Letter")
AhmadJoyia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AhmadJoyia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2016 at 10:57am

Quote Airmano:
...Having said so, as soon as science clashes with Islam (the same applies to other religions) the defense mechanism get quickly put in place (keywords: Evolution theory, Embryology etc.)
Ahmad:
By this, you mean there are no practicing Muslim Biologists or Physicians or what?
No, I never said so, and I even posted examples of Muslims who realize that there is a problem, like this one.. There was however no comment from your side.
I am sorry where is the question about this Muslim�s views about Science & Islam? Also, how his views different than mine, though I don�t agree with him about Muslims� rejection of Aliens. This is because, �Jinns� are just one possibility of such creatures whose existence not only on earth but on some other planets, can�t be ruled out. Not as yet. So, if he is looking for them, IMHO this is perfectly understandable from Muslims� perspective.

In addition I (and Ron) already mentioned a second "effect", that is that Muslims don't seem to criticize other Muslims [openly] even if they tell the biggest nonsense (Remember Abu Loren and the flat earth or "The Saint" and his 'two hearts' ?).
You did put these remarks elsewhere as well during our discussions and if you go back to those pages, you should find that I did correct my brothers openly, wherever I thought they needed it. But you must not assume that I am a caretaker (or Moderator) over them for all their posts etc nor do I have much time to follow all their discussions.

In essence I think there are many (educated) Muslims that do see the dilemma between the Quran when taken literally and the many errors this implies, but for unclear reasons (fear ?) they don't stand up against it.
Only a logical argument can settle one�s satisfaction over the understanding of Quran, but there are very few Muslims who wants to go through this route. If by �stand up against� implies enforcing one�s views over others, I don�t think that�s a correct approach. Isn�t it exactly the opposite that we are professing against extremists� way of working?

Quote I did see same �defense mechanism� invoked by you sooner we talked about the Quantum Mechanics that initially confused Einstein as well. Isn�t it?
I'm more than willing to clarify, but to do so I first have to understand what the problem is. Could you rephrase it please ?
Its nothing serious but only surprising to see that even when it was shown to you that how Einstein got wrong in rejection of the Quantum Mechanics theory by saying �God doesn�t play dices�. This implied two things: (1) His own fixated view about his then understanding about the nature (2) Your own fixated view by rejecting Quantum theory and in favour of Einstein�s. Hence my point is that there is certain �Inertia� among people about their �faith� (whatever you call it scientific theory etc or religion) in rejecting the old thoughts and adopting the new ones. Thus, there is a natural �defensive mechanism� or the �inertia� that inhibits one to change for the new. Therefore, Muslim Scientists are not an exception here, if their �Defensive� mechanism kicks in.

My sentence was: Not surprisingly I contest the necessity of a creator and I have already posted links on how the Universe could have come into existence without a creator. That there was never any comment or reaction on this speaks for itself. .
Does this sentence really sound like somebody that claims to be right 'at any cost' to you ? What I meant by the second sentence was not that this theory [see link below] is necessarily right, but that things that are in conflict with [your] religious doctrines get simply ignored.

Although I send the link already several times, here we go again.
It would be nice if yould you comment beyond "it's just a theory".
Airmano

Thanks for sharing your evidence for concluding that : Not surprisingly I contest the necessity of a creator and I have already posted links on how the Universe could have come into existence without a creator. That there was never any comment or reaction on this speaks for itself. . How can you logically conclude that the mathematical proof of Big Bang supports your understanding that it happened without the Creator. Amusingly, the author says The question is: does the Wheeler-DeWitt equation allow this? �We prove that once a small true vacuum bubble is created, it has the chance to expand exponentially,� say Dongshan and co. . The highlighted and specifically the red colour text is mine just to highlight that all this proof shows that creation is mathematically possible, same as it is mathematically possible to show the existence of other natural phenomena. I simply don�t see probabilistic happening to be something �without� or �beyond� or �despite� God. Can you show us?
airmano View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote airmano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2016 at 10:46am
Quote Airmano:

Ahmad:

Airmano:

Ahmad:
I am sorry where is the question about this Muslim�s views about Science & Islam?
Apparently we are talking past each other. The way I understood your sentence ("Muslim doctors & biologist") was as if you had said: "Do you really think that [well educated Muslims] like doctors and biologists would not see the errors in the Quran [if there were any] ?"

I thought my answer was adequate.
------------------------------------------------------
Quote Ahmad:
Also, how his views different than mine, though I don�t agree with him about Muslims� rejection of Aliens. This is because, �Jinns� are just one possibility of such creatures whose existence not only on earth but on some other planets, can�t be ruled out.

Your point of view about this is so spaced out in my opinion, that I'm not even willing to discuss it.
----------------------------------------------------

Quote Airmano

Ahmad:
You did put these remarks elsewhere as well during our discussions and if you go back to those pages, you should find that I did correct my brothers openly, wherever I thought they needed it...

Not that I remember, but I leave you the benefit of the doubt. It has certainly not happened very often, though.

Quote Amad:
Only a logical argument can settle one�s satisfaction over the understanding of Quran, but there are very few Muslims who wants to go through this route. If by �stand up against� implies enforcing one�s views over others, I don�t think that�s a correct approach. Isn�t it exactly the opposite that we are professing against extremists� way of working?
No that's not what I wanted to say. May be "Expresses his disagreement" would have been a better formula than "standing up against..."

Quote Ahmad:
Its nothing serious but only surprising to see that even when it was shown to you that how Einstein got wrong in rejection of the Quantum Mechanics theory by saying �God doesn�t play dices�. This implied two things: (1) His own fixated view about his then understanding about the nature (2) Your own fixated view by rejecting Quantum theory and in favour of Einstein�s. Hence my point is that there is certain �Inertia� among people about their �faith� (whatever you call it scientific theory etc or religion) in rejecting the old thoughts and adopting the new ones. Thus, there is a natural �defensive mechanism� or the �inertia� that inhibits one to change for the new. Therefore, Muslim Scientists are not an exception here, if their �Defensive� mechanism kicks in.

I still don't understand why you keep on repeating that I reject QM (because I never said so), but I can agree on your point about inertia.
---------------------------------------------------

Quote Ahmad:
Thanks for sharing your evidence for concluding that : Not surprisingly I contest the necessity of a creator and I have already posted links on how the Universe could have come into existence without a creator. That there was never any comment or reaction on this speaks for itself. . How can you logically conclude that the mathematical proof of Big Bang supports your understanding that it happened without the Creator. Amusingly, the author says The question is: does the Wheeler-DeWitt equation allow this? �We prove that once a small true vacuum bubble is created, it has the chance to expand exponentially,� say Dongshan and co. . The highlighted and specifically the red colour text is mine just to highlight that all this proof shows that creation is mathematically possible, same as it is mathematically possible to show the existence of other natural phenomena. I simply don�t see probabilistic happening to be something �without� or �beyond� or �despite� God. Can you show us?

Good point! First of all, you may have understood by now that I'm not an atheist but agnostic. So I do not rule out the possibility of a(!) creator.
Having said so I do rule out the attributes you associate with 'him', because of the logical inconsistencies this leads to.
Furthermore having read [parts of] the Quran: your messenger/Quran logic looks so implausible to me, that I'm not even considering investing much time into it either.

To the point: The possibility of the creation of a "small true vacuum bubble" is a direct consequence of the Heisenberg uncertainty principle and can thus be explained by the known laws of physics.

The uncertainty relation reads: Δx*Δp ≥ ℏ/2 and can be relatively easily reformulated into Δt*ΔE ≥ ℏ/2
(Time times energy must be bigger than zero or at least equal to ℏ/2).

The ΔE in the second equation implies the creation of so called "virtual particles" popping in and out of existence (since E=mc2, thus ΔE=Δm*c2, Δm stands for [the mass of] these particles), but they generally only exist for a small amount of time (Δt). Now I don't want to go into heavy QM but a direct consequence of the latter is that there is no "true vacuum" (see the larger "≥" sign in the equation), the word for it is "Quantum fluctuations".
This is not purely academic, since effects caused by these 'virtual particles' can be measured (Casimir effect).
Now you can have a very small but real chance that ΔE (and thus Δm) exceeds "a critical mass" and a "small true vacuum bubble" - and thus ultimately a new universe is born in a purely probabilistic way.

BTW, it was exactly this (probabilistic) implication of QM (and the following unpredictability) that made Einstein say "God doesn't play dice" to Bohr at the time.   Bohr answered something like: Don't tell God how he should run the Universe ! May be you should do the same and stop thinking in (too) simple terms of "holy books".

Once I have more time I may give you more details if you wish.

Airmano

Edited by airmano - 09 March 2016 at 1:12pm
The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses (Albert Einstein 1954, in his "Gods Letter")
AhmadJoyia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AhmadJoyia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2016 at 8:11pm
Thanks for your elaborate reply with vaguely discussing QM and yet missing out to answer my key question i.e. ....I simply don�t see probabilistic happening to be something �without� or �beyond� or �despite� God. Can you show us? . Hopefully, my explicit and repeating question would not go unanswered, this time, please.
airmano View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote airmano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2016 at 2:56am
@Ahmad:

Although I think I did answer this question, I wil make a second attempt and go more into details - once I find the time, may be this WE.

Airmano
Tim the plumber View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim the plumber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2016 at 5:38am
Originally posted by AhmadJoyia AhmadJoyia wrote:

Thanks for your elaborate reply with vaguely discussing QM and yet missing out to answer my key question i.e. ....I simply don�t see probabilistic happening to be something �without� or �beyond� or �despite� God. Can you show us? . Hopefully, my explicit and repeating question would not go unanswered, this time, please.

There are 2 possible situations;

1, Quantum events are randon, or at least the mechanism of determination is not currentky known and we are unable to predict them at all.

or

2, God does it. He chooses every sing quantum result across the entire universe. Every sing atom undergoing radio active decay and many other events are under the concious direction of God.

The first requires no evidence becasue it is what we see and is no claim other than stating what we know so far.

The second is a massive claim and thus requires loads of evidence. It's also a bit silly to have some sort of inteligence doing all that very boring job for the last 13.7 billion years without a break.

Matt Browne View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Browne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2016 at 2:30am
Airmano, Tim:

Yes, the universe could have formed spontaneously from nothing. But this insight does not explain the mechanism behind it. The ultimate explaination of the explanation of the explanation of the natural laws will remain a mystery. Unless you resort to circular reasoning.

I disagree with the notion that God actively fools around with radioactive decay and other daily processes. What sense does it make, when the natural laws for which he might be the ultimate explanation do the job quite nicely?

Edited by Matt Browne - 28 March 2016 at 2:30am
A religion that's intolerant of other religions can't be the world's best religion --Abdel Samad
Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people--Eleanor Roosevelt
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic