IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Science & Technology
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - The Amazing Accomplishments of Muslim Scientists  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Amazing Accomplishments of Muslim Scientists

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Starter.
Starter.
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mscientist9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Amazing Accomplishments of Muslim Scientists
    Posted: 08 December 2015 at 1:08pm
Esselamu alaikum brothers and sisters. I have just published my new Android Application which is named Muslim Scientists. I hope you like it and get benefits a lot from that application. Thank you in advance...

Android Application Link on Google Play Store
airmano View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote airmano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2015 at 11:27am
Why do you call these scientists "Muslim Scientists" ?

When you speak of Newton do you say "Christian scientist" ?
When you talk about Einstein do you say "Agnostic Scientist" ?
And mentioning Dirac: "Atheist Scientist" ?

Do you ? Airmano

Edited by airmano - 12 December 2015 at 11:28am
The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses (Albert Einstein 1954, in his "Gods Letter")
AhmadJoyia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AhmadJoyia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2016 at 8:05pm
Originally posted by airmano airmano wrote:

Why do you call these scientists "Muslim Scientists" ?
When you speak of Newton do you say "Christian scientist" ? When you talk about Einstein do you say "Agnostic Scientist" ? And mentioning Dirac: "Atheist Scientist" ?
Do you ? Airmano

Good point. However, see if this kind of referral is encouraging them to be like them and leave the orthodoxy of dogmatic views about religion. What do you say when it is asked if the globe is better off with more 'Muslim' scientists than others? What we keep hearing from ortho folks is that science distracts them from the religion, but IMHO, it promotes Islam in the right way.

Edited by AhmadJoyia - 31 January 2016 at 8:07pm
airmano View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote airmano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2016 at 10:06am
Quote Ahmad:
Good point. However, see if this kind of referral is encouraging them to be like them and leave the orthodoxy of dogmatic views about religion.
I don't think so. This rather pesky insisting on "Muslim Scientists" is rather to hide the fact that there haven't been any (well, almost) for centuries. I guess it is rather the expression of an inferiority complex.

Quote What do you say when it is asked if the globe is better off with more 'Muslim' scientists than others?
What I like about science is that there is no Christian, Jewish or Muslim science (even if some nutters in your area try to establish "Muslim science"). To your question: I guess it would, but may be for different reasons than you think. I am convinced that if there were more Muslim scientists, this "Scientific Miracles in the Quran" thing would quickly come to an end. I realize that this will be painful because it will take away quite a bit from the Muslim self-understanding but in the long run there is no way around it. At the same time it would be beneficial to the world because it would finally stop the extremists by making clear that the Quran can only be read as allegorical to be in line with modern knowledge. And this (and only this) will give it the necessary flexibility to adapt to the future.

Airmano

Ps: A good starter is this guy whereas this article is for the advanced reader.

Edited by airmano - 02 February 2016 at 12:15pm
The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses (Albert Einstein 1954, in his "Gods Letter")

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AhmadJoyia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 February 2016 at 12:29pm

I don't think so. This rather pesky insisting on "Muslim Scientists" is rather to hide the fact that there haven't been any (well, almost) for centuries. I guess it is rather the expression of an inferiority complex.
I don't know why your guess work has to be insinuating? If you can call people from 'Muslim countries', why can't you also call them 'Muslim Scientists'? Not that it implies that science is associated with the religion, but the religion of the scientists; and there is no dearth of these people since time immemorial as opposed to your general knowledge.
airmano View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote airmano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 February 2016 at 5:02am
Quote Ahmad:
If you can call people from 'Muslim countries', why can't you also call them 'Muslim Scientists'?

When you call persons "people from 'Muslim countries" you insinuate that there is a link between their cultural/religious background and (typically) their behaviour or habits.

Calling the guy that built the bridge nearby: "black haired Engineer" is a construction you'd use only in very specific cases, since the colour of his hair got nothing to do with the work he did.

Braking this 'rule' in a persistent way makes me think that there is another motivation than "just" informing me about his shoe size.

To finish: If from now on - besides the shoe size- we [all] started to add the individual creed to each scientists name, the result would in any case not be very flattering for Islam anyway.

So, rather don't do it!

Airmano

Edited by airmano - 08 February 2016 at 8:35am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AhmadJoyia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 February 2016 at 2:10am

To finish: If from now on - besides the shoe size- we [all] started to add the individual creed to each scientists name, the result would in any case not be very flattering for Islam anyway.
Probably not as you think so. Similarly, if you think all scientists were/are atheist even then you are wrong. More so, Albert Einstein can't be considered as one that you think he was.

...So, rather don't do it!
If it personally hurts you, then sure we should avoid it. I agree.
airmano View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote airmano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 February 2016 at 12:03am
Quote Ahmad:
Similarly, if you think all scientists were/are atheist...

I don't.
--------------------------------------------------
Quote More so, Albert Einstein can't be considered as one that you think he was.
I guess you try to tell me that you don't consider him the way I do ? Not a problem.
In any case: Difficult to ask him now, but may be you should read his letter.

----------------------------------------------------

Quote If it personally hurts you, then sure we should avoid it. I agree.
Hurting is not the right term. It is as if I called Mohamed a "sect leader".
Historically undoubtedly true, but not adequate, at least to your understanding.

Airmano

Edited by airmano - 15 February 2016 at 2:02pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic