IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Islam for non-Muslims
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - which translation or version of the koran  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

which translation or version of the koran

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Starter.
Starter.
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quidam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: which translation or version of the koran
    Posted: 01 December 2015 at 2:22pm
I have heard many times people say the radicals dont abide to the koran..the radicals say the opposite. other people state you read the wrong translation so which version do i read and why is sharia denounced by some and others swear by it.
abuayisha View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Muslim
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abuayisha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2015 at 8:04am
Quidam, welcome! The Quran is in the Arabic language. Once it is translated it is no longer the Quran, but a translation, therefore mistakes in interpretation, and correct understanding often occur when reading a translation of any language. Who has denounced sharia, and who do you know that swears by it? What is your understanding of sharia? My understanding, in simple terms, is that sharia is much like halakhah in the Jewish tradition, both meaning as "path" or way one walks. We believe it is the path that leads to eternal salvation. I think it is fair to say that some radicals understand what the Quran is saying, but choose to act contrary to the Quran for political reasons.
AhmadJoyia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AhmadJoyia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2015 at 9:01am
Originally posted by quidam quidam wrote:

I have heard many times people say the radicals dont abide to the koran..the radicals say the opposite. other people state you read the wrong translation so which version do i read and why is sharia denounced by some and others swear by it.

Hi quidam,
This is really a very pertinent question that you have highlighted. After all, what is different between the beliefs of the two groups of Muslims? Although, I am not an expert to say as what radicals believe, however, in my opinion, their twisted theology comes from everywhere but from Quran. So, whenever you read Quran translation, make sure its source is authentic. Rather I would encourage you to consult a web source which provides translations for more than two translators, just make sure to reduce the translational errors to minimum. Secondly, Sharia is nothing so mysterious as you seem to imply. Basically it is a Muslim law as per the injunctions of Quran and explained by authentic Sunnah & ahadith.    
quidam View Drop Down
Starter.
Starter.
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quidam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2015 at 10:20am
so really your saying people who cant read arabic which would certainly be most muslims dont even know what it really says
AhmadJoyia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AhmadJoyia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2015 at 8:28pm
Originally posted by quidam quidam wrote:

so really your saying people who cant read arabic which would certainly be most muslims dont even know what it really says
For people of ulterior motives, knowledge of the language of Quran is immaterial. They bring all sort of evidences to support their intentions. That is why, our first question to them is their source of information from Quran and how they understand it? I was rather surprised that these terrorist have even invented theories to circumvent the clear verses of Quran that go right against their agenda, just to fool people into their legitimacy.
ISLAM HASHTAG View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ISLAM HASHTAG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2015 at 12:57am
Assalamu Alaikum,

The best translation of Quran which is accurately translated by a scholar of both Arabic and English is Abdul Halem's translation.You can read the Review here :http://islamhashtag.com/the-quran-oxford-world-classics-review/

Tafseer of quran is the commentary of Quran with reference to reason for the revelation of Quran.It iss more Detailed.Different tafseers have been written by different Scholars keeping the need of the People in demand.You can check the Review of Tafseers avialable today.it will give you an Idea of which tafseer you should pick for study: http://islamhashtag.com/tafsir-al-quran-review/

And coming to the Questions of doubtful translation-Here is again a Review of the Doubtful Tafseers which One should avoid Reading :http://islamhashtag.com/unreliable-quran-tafsir/

Edited by ISLAM HASHTAG - 21 December 2015 at 12:58am
herbamuslim View Drop Down
Starter.
Starter.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herbamuslim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2016 at 2:12am
Some years ago, a non-muslim from Mensa was querying the authenticity of the translated Qur'aan that he was reading. I informed him that firstly, the true message would never be covered by a mere translation. However, in my humble opinion, the best of the translations of Al-Qur'aan is Kanzul Iman. Herewith attached is my research for him and justification thereof, I thought I would just share it with you. enjoy, and Ma'assalaam (with Peace)

This is why various translations are given priority over others..
"Wawajaddaka daalan fahada" Qur'aan 93:7
1. "Did He not find you wandering and guide you?" [An English translation published in Beirut Lebanon by Dar-Al-Choura]
2. "And He found thee wandering, and He gave the guidance." [Abdullah Yousuf Ali]
3. "And found thee lost on the way and guided thee?" [Mohammed Asad]
4. "And He found thee wandering in search for Him and guided thee unto Himself." [Sher Ali Qadiani]
5. "And found thee wandering, so He guided thee" [Abdul Majid Daryabadi]
6. "And found thee groping, so He showed the way" [Mohammed Ali Lahori Qadiani]
7. "And He found you uninformed of Islamic laws so He told you the way of islamic laws." [Ashraf Ali Thanwi]
8. "Did He not find thee erring and guide thee?" [Arberry] 9. "And saw you unaware of the way so showed you straight way" [Fateh Muhammed Jallendhri]
10. "Did he not find thee wandering and direct thee?" [Muhammad Pickthal]
"(Lost) In Love with Him He found you. The way to Him He showed you"
[Kanzul Imaan]

I hardly need to tell you that all these translations are not of common Muslim men, but of people who may very well have studied the Sciences of Arabic Language in Full. However, every Muslim (including the aforementioned ones) knows that it is an article of Islamic Belief that the Prophet (May Peace be upon him) cannot sin or go astray in any way. Surprisingly enough, in the above translation/s we find some saying 'the prophet was wandering', others say 'lost'... These interpretations do not express the article of Islamic Belief that has been mentioned.

How could they have all gone wrong in their translations you ask? Well... In Arabic, the "daal" has got four different meanings. (Unaware, mixed, lost in love and lofty-tree) Whichever of these is appropriate on the occasion, should only be used.

Nothing should be fitted hurriedly which is out of sense or which kills other verses. Keeping to the dignity of the Prophet, 'Ala Hazrat has translated the word "daal" into "(Lost) in love".
A man of love talks of love. One who loved the Holy Prophet picked out the word "love" from 4 different words. A similar example can be taken from English. You would agree that in English too, the duty of the interpreter is to have an eye on various meanings and use only the appropriate one. It should not be twisted in a free style. Take an example...

"You must take interest in your childrens' future" Now the word 'interest' should be interpreted as
'1. a feeling of curiosity or concern', and NOT as 'Money paid for the use of money lent' [meanings courtesy of my nifty Oxford Dictionary (Paperback)]
It's evident from this that the translation should be appropriate in Virtue of the message behind the verse/statement. An interesting conclusion....

Its an interesting point that a translator should not only be interested in
making his translation interesting, but he should also make interesting the
interest of the message.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic