IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Politics > World Politics
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Blasphemy Rights Day.  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Blasphemy Rights Day.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 11>
Author
Senior  Member
Muslim
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abuayisha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 December 2015 at 7:58am
Originally posted by Ron Webb Ron Webb wrote:

I'm not sure what you find disrespectful or in violation of the rules here. Is it the word "nonsense" that you find objectionable, or the claim that literalism poses a "serious threat"? Or something else that I'm missing? [IMG]smileys/smiley5.gif" align="middle" />

If you're looking for a semantic word game kindly look elsewhere. What I object to is a preponderance of nasty and disrespectful behavior targeting Islam from yourself and others.
Caringheart View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caringheart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 December 2015 at 10:27am
Originally posted by abuayisha abuayisha wrote:

Tim perhaps you haven't noticed that theology has long since ceased having significant political power in the world. ...

Greetings abuayisha,
I am shocked to hear you say this.
Really?  Iran - Ayatollah Khamenei
What about Syria, Iraq, Egypt?  They are all struggling politically, because of theology.
asalaam,
Caringheart

Edited by Caringheart - 18 December 2015 at 9:24am
Let us seek Truth together
Blessed be God forever
"I believe in Jesus as I believe in the sun... not because I see it, but because by it, I see everything else.: - C.S.Lewis
Caringheart View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caringheart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 December 2015 at 10:33am
Originally posted by Tim the plumber Tim the plumber wrote:

This, on this forum, is the demand that we respect your beliefs to the point of not saying what we wish to and not challenging your professed views
That is the point of this thread.

I have to agree with Tim here...
and I do not see where Ron has said anything that is disrespectful.  He is just sharing his opinions, and his beliefs.  (note:  would it have helped if he had said, 'it is nonsense to me', in his statement?)

To not allow this is to deny open discussion and free expression of beliefs... freedom of speech.  It is called censorship, whether it is done by others, or is demanded of people to self-censor... (as it is in Iran).

People will never be perfect in their speaking.  There will always be times when what one person says, may be taken wrong by another.  This is why open discussion must be allowed... to clear up misunderstandings.  We can not expect people to be perfect in everything that they do, and we should not wish to punish everyone for every mis-step they make.  This does not lead to peace and understanding, but only erects barriers to peace and understanding.

asalaam and blessings to all,
Caringheart

Edited by Caringheart - 17 December 2015 at 10:41am
Let us seek Truth together
Blessed be God forever
"I believe in Jesus as I believe in the sun... not because I see it, but because by it, I see everything else.: - C.S.Lewis
Tim the plumber View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim the plumber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 December 2015 at 12:11pm

What is civil and what is not is different to all of us. Civility in Saudi Arabia demands that female politicians cannot directly talk to male citizens. Civility in the rest of the world demands that we explain to the Saudis that this is very wrong. Totally uncivil. They don't like people telling them that and demand civility.

I'll let the moderators decide what is civil on this discussion board. I can only suggest that when it comes to religious observances that the other have respect. What you have said about Saudi is not only incorrect, but even if it were, one would think "the rest of the world" would have far greater priorities for their demands. Further, I think one of the problems with secularism is that one only needs to consult ones own mind for what civility is or isn't. Those who have a set of morals and values stemming from theology have a path (sharia) to walk upon, or reference.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-35086357

Quote Female candidates were also not allowed to address male voters directly during campaigning. Turnout was high, state media reported.

Given that you claim that this sharia gives good guidance as to how to behave it is strange that it is interpeerated so differently in so many places. And how little the Islamic world is aware of the differences.
abuayisha View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Muslim
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abuayisha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2015 at 7:13am
Originally posted by Caringheart Caringheart wrote:

Greetings abuayisha,I am shocked to hear you say this.Really?� Iran - Ayatollah KhameneiWhat about Syria, Iraq, Egypt?� The are all struggling politically, because of theology.asalaam,Caringheart

I would argue that Iran is an autocracy and psuedo-theocratic at best. The "struggling politically" seen in the lands you've mentioned is because they are all client states. Religion is not to blame, but intervention from outside.

Edited by abuayisha - 18 December 2015 at 7:14am
abuayisha View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Muslim
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abuayisha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2015 at 7:29am

Female candidates were also not allowed to address male voters directly

This only means that it wasn't a political campaign as we here in the west understand campaigning for votes. There is no official law which forbids a women from address a man as you originally asserted. Saudi has their own customs and practices which should be respected by outsiders as such.    

Edited by abuayisha - 18 December 2015 at 7:29am
Tim the plumber View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim the plumber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2015 at 10:05am

Female candidates were also not allowed to address male voters directly

This only means that it wasn't a political campaign as we here in the west understand campaigning for votes. There is no official law which forbids a women from address a man as you originally asserted. Saudi has their own customs and practices which should be respected by outsiders as such.    

What are you talking about?????

Femal candidates would have been arrested by the religious police in Saudi if they had addressed male voters directly.

It is reasonable for you to comment upon stuff that happens in the USA and for me to comment upon stuuf that happens in Islamic basket case states.

Edited by Tim the plumber - 19 December 2015 at 3:15am
Ron Webb View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male atheist
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron Webb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2015 at 3:38pm

If you're looking for a semantic word game kindly look elsewhere. What I object to is a preponderance of nasty and disrespectful behavior targeting Islam from yourself and others.

I'm not looking for word games either. I'm trying to understand what behaviour (originally Matt's, but now apparently mine as well) you find "nasty and disrespectful". We are expressing our views, in as respectful a manner as we are able. Which is quite a challenge, given the nastiness and disrespect with which we are confronted time after time in the Quran.

Matt said that "Literalism poses a serious threat. We have to speak out against it." If that is nasty and disrespectful, then what of the Quran (9:123), which urges believers to "fight ... the disbelievers and let them find in you harshness"? Do you not see how that statement (among many others), when taken literally, is a direct threat to us? Should we be "respectful" about such threats?

I understand that you don't like our views, just as there are aspects of Islam that we don't like. IMHO that is all the more reason why we need to talk about them -- as respectfully as possible, but as frankly as necessary.
Addeenul �Aql � Religion is intellect.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 11>
  Share Topic