IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Politics > World Politics
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Blasphemy Rights Day.  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Blasphemy Rights Day.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 11>
Author
Senior  Member
Muslim
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abuayisha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 November 2015 at 1:02pm
Ron we can play semantical games all day, but I place no moral equivalency upon those who speak irresponsibly and those who violently act irresponsible. Of course the latter is deserving of our repudiation. Indeed it is sad that we are having to take sides when both are bad.
Tim the plumber View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim the plumber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2015 at 2:18am
There is a difference between saying "I disaprove of unbelievers" and "Kill all those who do not believe".
Matt Browne View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Browne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 November 2015 at 8:58am
Originally posted by abuayisha abuayisha wrote:

Well certainly we as a society can and should have honest and rational discourse, but I would argue that blasphemy and other such vile speech shouldn't be ignored. Indeed it does hurt people. And indeed rhetoric has consequences.   

When some Muslims claim that the Quran predicted all modern science or Islam is a superior religion or the Bible is corrupted or infidels will burn in hell, this does hurt my feelings. I get angry when to read such stuff. So what? My feelings and my anger are my problem. Everyone has the right to write nonsense like the splitting of the moon really happened. I have to live with that. And I do.

A religion that's intolerant of other religions can't be the world's best religion --Abdel Samad
Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people--Eleanor Roosevelt
abuayisha View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Muslim
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abuayisha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2015 at 8:26am
That which you refer to as nonsense (splitting of the moon) is theology, and either you believe or not. Frankly, to troll an Islamic discussion board and refer to our religion as nonsense is indeed foolish and unacceptable behavior.
Tim the plumber View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim the plumber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2015 at 10:01am

That which you refer to as nonsense (splitting of the moon) is theology, and either you believe or not. Frankly, to troll an Islamic discussion board and refer to our religion as nonsense is indeed foolish and unacceptable behavior.

The Moon has never split in two.

There has never been a world flood.

It does not matter that it says otherwise in any book, the Bible, the Koran or anything else. The world is as it is and wishing it otherwise is not going to change the world.

It does not matter if you are or are not offended by the real world. Have a look at the various Moon threads to see how we, atheists, respond to somebody talking gibberish. How else should we respond in that thread and then assume that we see any religious theology as equally valid. How should we respond and why should we respond differently?

Matt Browne View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Browne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2015 at 4:01am

The literal interpretation is nonsense. Myths and parables in holy books encode deeper meanings. The idea that a snake really talked to Adam and Eve is also nonsense. The symbolism behind it is not. The same applies to the split moon. Literalism poses a serious threat. We have to speak out against it.

Edited by Matt Browne - 12 December 2015 at 4:02am
A religion that's intolerant of other religions can't be the world's best religion --Abdel Samad
Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people--Eleanor Roosevelt
abuayisha View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Muslim
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abuayisha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2015 at 7:33am
Once again, this is theology, and the faithful indeed believe literally that Jesus, Moses, and Muhammad performed miracles in spite of what you term nonsense. You would have absolutely no need to speak out against it if you weren't participating in on a religious discussion board. Please have some respect or leave.
Ron Webb View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male atheist
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron Webb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2015 at 11:18am
Some of the faithful take their scripture literally, and some do not. I imagine each side thinks the others' beliefs are nonsense. Is Islamicity only open to the literalists? Or are we so politically correct that we cannot express our views frankly and openly?
Addeenul �Aql � Religion is intellect.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 11>
  Share Topic