IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Politics > World Politics
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Blasphemy Rights Day.  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Blasphemy Rights Day.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 11>
Author
Senior  Member
Muslim
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abuayisha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 October 2015 at 8:20am
With respect to that which you have mentioned concerning Quran text, this is theology, and as such must be taken in context. Perhaps that's a discussion for interfaith.

As an American I am indeed blessed to have freedom of speech, and feel myself to be a strong supporter of that freedom for others as well, however, with freedoms there comes responsibility.
Tim the plumber View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim the plumber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 October 2015 at 9:17am
Originally posted by abuayisha abuayisha wrote:

With respect to that which you have mentioned concerning Quran text, this is theology, and as such must be taken in context. Perhaps that's a discussion for interfaith.

As an American I am indeed blessed to have freedom of speech, and feel myself to be a strong supporter of that freedom for others as well, however, with freedoms there comes responsibility.

Just because it is theology does not make it not clearly incitement to violence.

That it is a respected by lots book and that if it were treated as any other book then the Bible would be next are the only things stopping anybody using these books to teach from being prosecuted as inciting racial/religious and general violence in western societies. That is just how it is.

Ron Webb View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male atheist
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron Webb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 October 2015 at 2:34pm

I'm not sure what you mean by "context", but given that most people (Muslims especially) regard their religion as something to be taken very seriously, it seems to be that the context here makes the message all the more worrying.

On the other hand, if the context is a work of fiction (e.g., The Satanic Verses) or a satirical magazine (e.g. Charlie Hebdo), then surely anyone taking it seriously is missing the point.

Quote As an American I am indeed blessed to have freedom of speech, and feel myself to be a strong supporter of that freedom for others as well, however, with freedoms there comes responsibility.

But that does not include the responsibility not to offend others.  No one has the inherent right not to be offended.  Or if we do, then I demand that you stop promoting that offensive book you call the Quran.
Addeenul �Aql � Religion is intellect.
abuayisha View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Muslim
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abuayisha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2015 at 7:47am
What I mean by context is that Islamophobes, such as yourself, selectively pick verses from the Quran without understanding them, as to never miss an opportunity to snipe and speak maliciously about Islam.

Indeed I think there is a vast difference between no one having an inherent right not to be offended, and having an inherent right to offend others. Speech can be harmful and I'm surprised anyone would argue the privilege to cause harm. With rights come responsibility, and no one has an absolute right/freedom without limits.
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim the plumber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2015 at 8:27am

What I mean by context is that Islamophobes, such as yourself, selectively pick verses from the Quran without understanding them, as to never miss an opportunity to snipe and speak maliciously about Islam.

Indeed I think there is a vast difference between no one having an inherent right not to be offended, and having an inherent right to offend others. Speech can be harmful and I'm surprised anyone would argue the privilege to cause harm. With rights come responsibility, and no one has an absolute right/freedom without limits.

There is a bunch of Christian nutters who protest that various/almost everybody is gay and do this protesting about American soldiers being gay at the funerals of soldiers who have died in war.

This truely the prime example of a missuse of freedom of speach. The time that families are greiving for their dead sons and daughters should be respected. Hurling unfounded insults at this time is right out of order.

There was some fuss here in the UK a few years ago about Islamic graves being desicrated. The police immediately went around to the local racist thug clubs, BNP etc, and spoke to them about it. The response from them was; "Yes, that's out of order, no need to push over somebody's grannies grave stone! We will have a word with the youngsters, 'cause it's not going to any of us." After they came back with the news that the young would be thugs had the same reaction other suspects were looked for.

It turned out that it was one bunch of Islaimic types doing it to another.

I do not walk about the world confronting people going into the mosk. That, I feel, would be too forceful. Too pushy. I do confront those who attempt to convert me. When you do that you are fair game.

This forum is about spreading Islam. As such it is fair game to be confronted by the plain simple arguments of reality.

Ron Webb View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male atheist
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron Webb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2015 at 1:23pm

Hey, I'm just quoting the Quran.  It is the Quran that seemingly never misses an opportunity to speak maliciously about unbelievers.  Regardless of how you might want to contextualize or interpret those passages, surely you can see how unbelievers might find them offensive.  It's hard to see words like "corrupt", "perverted", and "the worst of creatures" as complimentary.

Quote Indeed I think there is a vast difference between no one having an inherent right not to be offended, and having an inherent right to offend others. Speech can be harmful and I'm surprised anyone would argue the privilege to cause harm. With rights come responsibility, and no one has an absolute right/freedom without limits.

I don't see how blasphemy can be harmful.  Except to the speaker himself in a Muslim country, that is.
Addeenul �Aql � Religion is intellect.
abuayisha View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Muslim
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abuayisha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2015 at 10:52am
Well, you'll find that over half of European countries have laws against blasphemy, however I'm not specifically advocating laws against blasphemy since some people, such as yourself, may unknowingly blaspheme. I simply think it's neighborly to not go out of your way to bash and provoke harm. I mean, good grief, don't people have better things to do with their time?
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim the plumber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2015 at 1:05pm

Well, you'll find that over half of European countries have laws against blasphemy, however I'm not specifically advocating laws against blasphemy since some people, such as yourself, may unknowingly blaspheme. I simply think it's neighborly to not go out of your way to bash and provoke harm. I mean, good grief, don't people have better things to do with their time?

Yes sure, but surely when they do, unless they do it with the obvious intention of insulting you to your face, then you also have better things to do.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 11>
  Share Topic